aberdeen-music

What this scene needs

Guest Bob

Recently I've been rather troubled. I've had to watch this whole scene going down the plughole from the outside (I always thought I'd be involved somehow) and it's been a real shame. What happened? There's no camaraderie, no real wars, no interest. There's just no soul left in our little scene at all. The Fudge Awards suck, aberdeen-music is a lifeless bulky mess and RFR are... em, Cloud, are you there? Ah, you've been strung up by your bollock hair. Well good luck with that.

Anyway, it's just not like it was is it? And worse, it's just not as good.

So what to do? What to do? Well I've had a little idea and I just wanted to run it past you guys to see what you think. I was thinking that the problem with these forums is that really, it's very hard to tell who is on the scene and who is not. What bands are there in Aberdeen today? I certainly don't know. I mean, back in my day it was all bands like Nero and Quik and Black Atom. Where are the equivalent bands now?

Exactly.

I know there are a few places where we can find little incomplete lists of Aberdeen bands, but these are few and far between and pretty useless. Sometimes I see a few bands on a list and don't even know if they're local or not and that's pretty silly.

What we need is a big list of all the bands in Aberdeen all in one place. A sort of ultimate band list if you will. We could call it "The Ultimate Aberdeen Band List" or UABL for short. I think it's a cracking idea and can't believe no one's thought of it sooner. In that effort I have already purchased the url. Who wants to help me run the list? Together we will decide who is in a real Aberdeen band and who isn't. (I'm not counting the xcerts)

Shit, this is cool. I've even got a motto already:

One list to rule them all, one list to find them, one list to bring them all and for the whole scene bind them.

Don't tell me you won't get laid working on this. It's a fucking ace idea.

Last I heard was that the 'scene' had moved to Glasgow and is renting a small flat in an attempt at joining the big guys...

Grand idea but is it too hard for those that are interested to do a little digging around or their own...

I for one don't attend nearly as many gigs as I used to but have an interest in the ones,well, I am interested in. I sense there is a lot going on though with new names popping up all over the shop. One or two people mentiong developing things so maybe it's growing again :up:

Recently I've been rather troubled. I've had to watch this whole scene going down the plughole from the outside (I always thought I'd be involved somehow) and it's been a real shame. What happened? There's no camaraderie, no real wars, no interest. There's just no soul left in our little scene at all. The Fudge Awards suck, aberdeen-music is lifeless bulky mess and RFR are... em, Cloud, are you there? Ah, you've been strung up by your bollock hair. Well good luck with that.

Anyway, it's just not like it was is it? And worse, it's just not as good.

So what to do? What to do? Well I've had a little idea and I just wanted to run it past you guys to see what you think. I was thinking that the problem with these forums is that really, it's very hard to tell who is on the scene and who is not. What bands are there in Aberdeen today? I certainly don't know. I mean, back in my day it was all bands like Nero and Quik and Black Atom. Where are the equivalent bands now?

Exactly.

I know there are a few places where we can find little incomplete lists of Aberdeen bands, but these are few and far between and pretty useless. Sometimes I see a few bands on a list and don't even know if they're local or not and that's pretty silly.

What we need is a big list of all the bands in Aberdeen all in one place. A sort of ultimate band list if you will. We could call it "The Ultimate Aberdeen Band List" or UABL for short. I think it's a cracking idea and can't believe no one's thought of it sooner. In that effort I have already purchased the url. Who wants to help me run the list? Together we will decide who is in a real Aberdeen band and who isn't. (I'm not counting the xcerts)

Shit, this is cool. I've even got a motto already:

One list to rule them all, one list to find them, one list to bring them all and for the whole scene bind them.

Don't tell me you won't get laid working on this. It's a fucking ace idea.

:laughing:

i miss you bob

I think that we now play to a much, much wider range of audiences than we ever would have played 3/4 years ago. That is basically more people to see us once, and never come back. :)

Good points. I lost count of the times we played to crowds of less than 10 in Dos Dedos. Also I played for Sirius in a couple of gigs, one in particular was along with Point of Origin. The "crowd" consisted of the 2 bands and their girlfriends. When Kai wanted to address the crowd he didn't even bother using a mic, which amused me somewhat. Tho it was in some weird venue that never has bands, beside Chicago Rock. Perhaps one of the 9 people who were in attendance that night could jog my memory? You must have been there yourself Bobbo, since you were fronting POO at the time. Didn't you and Terry Cunt have a pissing competition 'backstage'?

Guest DustyDeviada
Nostalgia getting in the way of the fact that there are now more places to see more bands who are doing more exciting and interesting things? It also seems that there are a lot less "local bands for local people," which is good.

Exactly. What a load of pish. The truth is that this so called "scene" was in fact nothing more than a small bunch of people in a handful of bands and a handful of their mates.

It's worth pointing out that the only band that has even come close to any level of success from that era, Driveblind, seemingly made a conscious decision NOT to be part of the so-called "scene", ie playing non-"scene" venues, not depending on their mates from equally obscure bands making up the audience at gigs etc.

Seems to me that those mourning the current state of the "scene" are in fact just having to come to terms with the fact that the are older now, having to get jobs and deal with other responsibilities, and there's a knawing realisation that they are never going to be a rock star and they will just have to get on with "ordinary" life.