aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

does anyone know of any good GPs/surgeries they could recommend? having a bad time atm with the ones i go to and need shit sorted!

Depends where you are and if you're in the catchment area - if you're in the area, I would thoroughly recommend Garthdee Medical Group.  One of the Dr's is an arse, but I just don't see him.  The others are fantastic, one diagnosed my underactive thyroid after I'd been complaining to GP's for 6 years about the symptoms. 

She also took my feedback into consideration when my epilepsy medication got reviewed - I really didn't like being on a higher dose as it meant I got my words jumbled and I needed to be in bed by 8pm.  So we juggled it for a month or so before we told my neurologist, and I'm now seizure-free with less side effects.

Stay away from Denburn, and Old Machar on King Street - the Denburn is useless (too many stories for there), and GPs at Old Machar have prescribed calpol to adults for tonsilitis.

I'm trying for either Calsayseat as it's near work or just joining the one in Torry.

Whinhill is too far away from me, don't think I'm in the catchment area. Woodside I have no idea where it is but I'll check it out. Garthdee sounds like a plan! Don't think I'm in the area but will be at RGU from September, so I guess that could work - hopefully they'll let me join in advance. Slutbags, do you know what the Torry one is like? That would be convenient for me also...

I'd never thought about that (teams doing shit on purpose to get draft picks). I don't even care much about basketball but the NBA pisses me off. Oh lets play 5000 games for each team just so we can eliminate almost half the teams before the play offs. Shite. If I had the money, I'd by the NBA and change it all.

Buffalo Sabres are currently in the midst of doing just this. Tanking the season by trading away all our veteran players for draft picks adn highly touted prospects. We're currently bottom of the NHL.

However, to discourage "tanking" the season, the NHL introduced the draft lottery. This means every team that didn't make the playoffs has a chance to draft first, though the lower teasm have a higher chance of winning the lottery. THis means you may drop one place in the draft order.

It sucks that I have to sit through a dogshit season. We may also be looking at another tanked season next year, to try and draft Connor McDavid who is projected to bt "The Next Great One". It totally sucks, but I look at the big picture. Pittsburgh sucked for years to do it and won the Stanley Cup after losing in the Cup finals the year before. Chicago sucked for years to do it and have won 2 cups in 4 years. Colorado this season have been tearing up the NHL despite sucking for a number of years and winning the draft lottery to pick 1st overall at the last draft (they moved from 2nd to 1st in the draft). So I'm hoping it pays off.

Edited by Teabags

Buffalo Sabres are currently in the midst of doing just this. Tanking the season by trading away all our veteran players for draft picks adn highly touted prospects. We're currently bottom of the NHL.

However, to discourage "tanking" the season, the NHL introduced the draft lottery. This means every team that didn't make the playoffs has a chance to draft first, though the lower teasm have a higher chance of winning the lottery. THis means you may drop one place in the draft order.

It sucks that I have to sit through a dogshit season. We may also be looking at another tanked season next year, to try and draft Connor McDavid who is projected to bt "The Next Great One". It totally sucks, but I look at the big picture. Pittsburgh sucked for years to do it and won the Stanley Cup after losing in the Cup finals the year before. Chicago sucked for years to do it and have won 2 cups in 4 years. Colorado this season have been tearing up the NHL despite sucking for a number of years and winning the draft lottery to pick 1st overall at the last draft (they moved from 2nd to 1st in the draft). So I'm hoping it pays off.

Sounds like it blows fat ass as a fan for a few years at a time, but as big picture it'll keep the leagues competitive with "underdog" teams suddenly smashing up the ranks, rather than the stagnant affair a lot of sports have over here where the top 5 teams are more-or-less the same year or year.

xx

Sounds like it blows fat ass as a fan for a few years at a time, but as big picture it'll keep the leagues competitive with "underdog" teams suddenly smashing up the ranks, rather than the stagnant affair a lot of sports have over here where the top 5 teams are more-or-less the same year or year.

xx

Yeah, that's why I like it.

And to keep it even more competitive, there's also a salary cap. Meaning every team has to keep all their player's salaries between 2 numbers, meaning the richest teams can't just buy all the best players and take over the league.

Quick Question:  Where do you get the affinity with an NHL team from to the point that you call them "we"?

(Genuinely interested - American sports have largely passed me by)

Quick Question:  Where do you get the affinity with an NHL team from to the point that you call them "we"?

(Genuinely interested - American sports have largely passed me by)

From my pals it seems to be

Red Wings because Dr. Cox from Scrubs was a fan

Avalanches because of a player (Joe Sakic)

Boston because of the Irish connection

Minnesota Wild because they are green (Celtic fan)

New York Rangers because they are a hun

Buffalo Sabres because of the cool logo

• Upvote 1

People who work in the city centre (e.g. an office on or just off Union Street) and drive, where the fuck do you park?

Had an interview with a company in a small office right in the centre. Like the flexibility of driving to work instead of taking the bus, just wondering if it's actually possible to park in the city centre all day.  At the moment I have to park in Torry and have a 5-10 minute walk to my current office. But all the residential streets around Union Street are permit parking so not sure how feasible that is.

5-10 min walk isn't bad at all. Torry is your best bet. Or get a motorbike and park free in most places. 

No, Torry is where I park now in my current job.  If I get/take the new job and keep parking there (though it's getting harder to find a space recently with all the building work going on at Asco and Enquest) it'll be a 20-30 minute walk to the new office (near Golden Square).

Also really want to stop parking beside fish processors... 

Assume the best option might be parking all day in the Denburn or Chapel Street, but that'll cost money.  

No, Torry is where I park now in my current job.  If I get/take the new job and keep parking there (though it's getting harder to find a space recently with all the building work going on at Asco and Enquest) it'll be a 20-30 minute walk to the new office (near Golden Square).

Also really want to stop parking beside fish processors... 

Assume the best option might be parking all day in the Denburn or Chapel Street, but that'll cost money.  

You need to get in tow with the Golden Square mafia.  There's an old mannie that patrols the spaces in the centre of Golden Square - I never quite worked out who was allowed to park there during the day.  You maybe have to give the old mannie a bottle of whiskey every month or something...