aberdeen-music

Restaurant / Takeaway review thread

Lemonade

I did wonder if anyone would pick up on that... i am not a fully fledged meat eater, but have sampled most of the things off the prime cuts menu. I was getting far too ill being a lactose intolerant vegetarian, so am having to try to wean myself back onto 'proper food' as my mum would say.

on a slightly different note, after 14 years without meat, it is really intereasting how different everything tastes from my memories as a kid. I am probably driving my friends insane, but i have been trying a wee sample of everyones food when we have been going out, and some things (turkey for example) taste nothing like what i remember!

You'd be told where to goif I was your mate and you tried that sampling shit with me. :up:

I went to Blue Moon last night. Holy fuck, best meal i've had in any restaurant, no word of a lie.

hmm, thats interesting, i went there wi my missus a while ago and only the main course was respectable. they served me a bit of out of date toss for dessert so was definitely not impressed by that! that coupled with the fact there is never anyone in there has put me off.

personally, bonne brasserie wipes my bum all day long. it kicks much bottom and the steak in there makes me VERY aroused.

i used to like rustico too but wasnt impressed last time. they used to do a MASSIVE lump of meatloaf and it was most awesome, but not so much this time.

• 3 weeks later...

I scoured this thread late last week in search of ideas for where to take a date on friday; to which I ended up deciding upon Yatai.

Really really impressed! Fantastic food, especially the beef dishes we ordered. It also ended up a little bit cheaper than I thought it would (about 25 pp). I would definitely go back.

I went to Old Blackfriars for lunch and was served up the most laughable excuse of a cheese and bacon burger I've ever seen.

A large sized bun (which tasted of cardboard) containing a greasy small burger was bad enough. The 2 small "rashers" of fatty bacon and the unmelted processed cheese slice added to the overall shiteness of it. The tasteless, greasy chips were the icing on the cake. 7.95 they charged for this (but they did have 15% off on their "wacky January sale." 100% off would still have been a rip - off, I tell you.) The frankly depressing emo waiter didn't add much to the overall experience either.

I used to think the food there was good but I won't be going back. Shame, beacuse it's a nice old school pub.

On a brighter note, the food in the Palm Court Hotel is superb. We've been loads of times since we've moved to our house which is pretty close by. I swear they have the best burgers and rib eye steaks I've had in Aberdeen. It's not as expensive as you'd think either. The waiter was telling me how they get their chips so fucking fine - they twice cook them. After the first time they somehow extract the filling from the chip and replace it with mashed tatties.Don't know how that works but they taste bloody magnificent! Take the missus there for a nice meal and earn some brownie points :)

The waiter was telling me how they get their chips so fucking fine - they twice cook them. After the first time they somehow extract the filling from the chip and replace it with mashed tatties.Don't know how that works but they taste bloody magnificent!

He possibly meant they blanch them then fry them, the proper way to cook chips.

Twice cooked usually means they fry them twice. Once at a low temperature to cook them through inside, then again at a high temperature to crisp them up.

Followers of Heston Blumenthal advocate triple cooked chips where he boils them to breaking point, chills them, frys them at a low temperature, drain and chills them again then frys the at a high temperature to finish them off.

Life really is too short to be doing anything he does...

It really is. I got one of his books for christmas a few years ago. In the opening blurb he basically says to not bother with the recipes coz they are far too time consuming and expensive.

This courageous guy gave his burgers a shot... The Blumenburger The Most Labor-Intensive Hamburger Ever | A Hamburger Today

I went to Old Blackfriars for lunch and was served up the most laughable excuse of a cheese and bacon burger I've ever seen.

i second the distaste at Blackfriars, went a couple months ago and my lasagne was actually pretty much a dish of 75% melted cheese and a wee scrotey bit of bolognaise.

Epically disappointed because it looks like as you say, an old school pub that would know how to cook food properly. Needless to say have not been back, maybe the chef was off that day but i would love to hear if anyone actually had any good experiences there!

It wasn't really the twice cooked bit that impressed me - it was the piping in of the mashed tatties!!!

I recommend everyone tries these bad boys - in a different league to chips i've had anywhere else.

Can anyone recommend me a Chinese take away that does a good sweet and sour and battered chicken? I really liked the sweet and sour they did at Noodle House on Rose Street but when I went tonight there was a sign on the door saying they are closed until further notice. I like the sauce to be sweet and not too thick. I've found most of the other take aways sweet and sour sauces to be more bitter than sweet or sour. Any recommendations?

Jewel in the Crown....booked for a xmas day ruby.Yum yum and no dirty dishes:up:

I have heard on numerous occasion this place is good, it's just round the corner form me, so should really try it some day!

Oggy, Alrene and I went to Saigon on Xmas day, it was superb gotta been the best time I have dined there, everything was so fresh and the services was outstanding. Can't wait to go back after payday!

I was in The Light Of Bengal on Saturday night for a meal and it was, as ever, absolutely sublime. I reckon it's the best Indian in the city. There was 12 of us and everybody enjoyed their meal immensely. Service was a bit slow though, especially considering the restaurant was almost empty.

That place is my favourite curry house in Aberdeen. Was there a week ago and opted for the 'womens choice' of Chicken Korma. I normally go for the arse destroying vindaloo king prawn but it's a tad pricey.

:up:

I was in The Light Of Bengal on Saturday night for a meal and it was, as ever, absolutely sublime. I reckon it's the best Indian in the city. There was 12 of us and everybody enjoyed their meal immensely. Service was a bit slow though, especially considering the restaurant was almost empty.

Only been there once, and like you, my only complaint was the service. Restaurant was probably half-full, they had more than enough staff, and there were a few times where we were forced to get out of our seats and try and get someone's attention!

It wasn't really the twice cooked bit that impressed me - it was the piping in of the mashed tatties!!!

I recommend everyone tries these bad boys - in a different league to chips i've had anywhere else.

Is it just me who finds this highly unlikely? I think someone was having you on. Piping in mashed tatties into individual chips instead of just cooking them in a way so as to make the inside as fluffy as mash? I could be wrong like but it definitely sounds like a wind up.

Guest Gladstone

A large sized bun (which tasted of cardboard) containing a greasy small burger was bad enough. The 2 small "rashers" of fatty bacon and the unmelted processed cheese slice added to the overall shiteness of it. The tasteless, greasy chips were the icing on the cake. 7.95 they charged for this (but they did have 15% off on their "wacky January sale." 100% off would still have been a rip - off, I tell you.) The frankly depressing emo waiter didn't add much to the overall experience either.

I used to think the food there was good but I won't be going back. Shame, beacuse it's a nice old school pub.

On a brighter note, the food in the Palm Court Hotel is superb. We've been loads of times since we've moved to our house which is pretty close by. I swear they have the best burgers and rib eye steaks I've had in Aberdeen. It's not as expensive as you'd think either. The waiter was telling me how they get their chips so fucking fine - they twice cook them. After the first time they somehow extract the filling from the chip and replace it with mashed tatties.Don't know how that works but they taste bloody magnificent! Take the missus there for a nice meal and earn some brownie points :)

I have sampled the delight that is the Palm Court burger and chips before - really really fine, and it's a nice restaurant too.

Guest Gladstone
Is it just me who finds this highly unlikely? I think someone was having you on. Piping in mashed tatties into individual chips instead of just cooking them in a way so as to make the inside as fluffy as mash? I could be wrong like but it definitely sounds like a wind up.

I was thinking the exact same thing - there is no way they individually extract the filling and pipe in mashed tatties into every chip. Someone is taking the piss...

I was thinking the exact same thing - there is no way they individually extract the filling and pipe in mashed tatties into every chip. Someone is taking the piss...

I read it that the inside just seemed like mash. i.e. they'd cooked the chips so well that inside was so fluffy it was like they'd filled it with mash.

Can anyone recommend me a Chinese take away that does a good sweet and sour and battered chicken? I really liked the sweet and sour they did at Noodle House on Rose Street but when I went tonight there was a sign on the door saying they are closed until further notice. I like the sauce to be sweet and not too thick. I've found most of the other take aways sweet and sour sauces to be more bitter than sweet or sour. Any recommendations?

Peking House on Holburn Street (I think) does it exactly how you described.

Guest Gladstone
I read it that the inside just seemed like mash. i.e. they'd cooked the chips so well that inside was so fluffy it was like they'd filled it with mash.

"After the first time they somehow extract the filling from the chip and replace it with mashed tatties"