aberdeen-music

Restaurant / Takeaway review thread

Lemonade

Only very recently discovered Thai Cottage on Rose Street for a decent takeaway. What a delight of a place.

Get the Thai shredded chili chicken.

It's a delight, if you go for the set menu C and ask to change the lemon chicken to thai shredded chicken they will.....it feeds about 4 people and is shit hot!!

We got a delivery from Jade chinese at kittybrewster last night, smoked chicken as a starter (very similar to Smoked corn chicken from Saigon) and Kung Po.....really fine!!

• 1 year later...

I had a quick scan through.

Another vote for the Moonfish cafe from me. Thought the entire meal was top quality. Portions were a little small but quality of the ingredients and presentation was that of a top restaurant. Service was good too.

Yorokobi by CJ, Japanese and Korean restaurant is also one of my favored places up here.

For a quick bite Sizzling Wok Chinese buffet at the beach is really good. A good range for a buffet and normally have sushi, prawn and mussels all there too. It's 11 evenings and 13 on Sunday night(from memory). They have all the choices and you can also get the chef to cook you up a sauce as you wait.

Probably the best Chinese buffet restaurant I've been to in Scotland.

Another vote for the Moonfish cafe from me. Thought the entire meal was top quality. Portions were a little small but quality of the ingredients and presentation was that of a top restaurant. Service was good too.

Moonfish are now running the kitchen at Athaneum as well. It's a Japanese inspired menu which is a massive improvement on the stuff that was coming out of there before. Had some awesome braised pork belly there.

Unfortunately they're no longer honouring spree cards with the change of kitchen. Boo.

Howff was decent, not bad price, soup was good, cumberland and whole grain mustard mash was a treat and a half, service was excellent. Good atmosphere as well.

La Tascas, my first time here went with "my favourites" food was decent but as expected not that filling, place was emoty and the service was pretty shit, good looking staff though.

Beautiful Mountain's Tapas is ridiculously good as well as pretty well priced. The most effort I've ever seen by a restaurant to accommodate a vegan, put on a huge spread for me, all healthy (and delicious) tapas food. You can bring in yr own beer as well as you want and just have to pay a nominal corking charge. Staff are brilliant, completely friendly and attentive. Cannot recommend it enough!

Also been to Lights of Bengal on Rose St. a couple of times, recently. I had the potato dahl soup and the vegetable Buhna, both were nice enough I guess with reasonable portions. However both times it took absolutely ages to be served and it is ridiculously expensive as well. Wouldn't go back by choice.

Culter Curry House. Home delivery. Starter of chicken chaat was tasty but bore almost no resemblance to chicken chaat. It was in some gooey sauce and filled with coriander. Pass marks for that because whatever it was, it was really good. Main course lamb rogan josh. Never a good sign when you tip it onto the plate and the plate is full of oil and grease before you actually get any curry. Oil everywhere. Naan bread was so greasy it had greased it's way through the pretty sturdy looking paper bag it came in. Rice portion extremely stingy and kinda cold. Curry was tasteless oily slop. Meal abandoned pretty quickly and binned. Hands and table needed a thorough washing to de-grease. Avoid.

Massive bump.

Just had a feast delivered from Gurkha Kitchen on George Street. Nepalese curry. Astonishingly good. I went for the Himalayan Garlic Chicken, and the missus had the Veg Mayalu. Both were just smashing. Best Curry I've had in Aberdeen by miles and miles.

yeah me and the missus had a 20 quid set meal from there not long ago (well, the one by union square but its the same people i believe) and i had a proper food baby going on. was ace, had a pint after and almost died mind....

Guest Tam o' Shantie

totally bewildered by 'garlic dip' hate here. It's a small tub of aioli actually that you get. reminds me of rimmer complaining that his gizpacho soup was too cold, lol.

i reckon papa johns' pizzas are one of the best takeaway pizzas in town.