aberdeen-music

Restaurant / Takeaway review thread

Lemonade

My favourite restaraunt in Aberdeen has to be Sai Gon on Crown Terrace, but be warned, it's quite expensive. The only reason I've experienced it is because my Dad has taken me there and got work expenses to pay for it. I'm not sure what the prices are the now, but its somewhere between 20 and 25 pound for the all you can eat menu, which is excellent, because they cook the dishes, not premade like Shitty Chungs. Usually its like a huge starter platter, duck pancakes, then whatever you want from the menu.

Another good restaraunt is La Bamba, also on Crown Terrace. Excellent mexican or texan food, and last time I went, a hen night was there and they were dancing on their tables. It had quite an amazing atmosphere at the time. Quite loud though.

we went to the cock and bull last night and it was tasty tasty tasty. they seem to have changed their menu a bit since we were last year and went a bit more towards fine dining than amazing pub food, but the prices are still reasonable and the food was awesome.

we both went for the wood pigeon to start as neither my wife or I had tried pigeon before. It was ace, full of flavour and complemented nicely with a beetroot carpaccio. I then had the rock turbot with a seafood bisque. It was amazing. The fish was cooked perfectly and the sauce was creamy and full of flavour.

service was good too, not too fussy but we weren't made to wait at any point and the food was spaced out nicely.

they have retained their spot as my favourite place to eat in the north-east.

Guest Bob Double Jack

Blue Elephant - great indian takeaway

Panda Valley Rosemount Place - brilliant, but relatively pricey for a takeaway. Shredded chilli chicken....mmmmm

The Spice Mill Grandholm Village - restaurant and takeaway. awesome. proper indian grub, and reasonably priced (for a takeaway)

Back Hilton Chipper: best chipper in town, great chips. really great chips.

The Manchurian on Causeway near Mounthooly roundabout is an excellent Chinese restaurant. I'd reccomend going at lunch time when the Dim Sum menu is available, it's like the Chinese version of tapas. Prices are pretty good considering the yummy nature of the food and the generous portion sizes for the main dishes - a meal for 2 tends to come to no more than 30

I was at the Eagle May on Park Street from a Chinese the other night and it was, as ever, absolutely sublime. I just will not hear a bad word against either of the Eagle May's as I have never had a meal from there that wasn't so good it made me want to get naked and it eat it by candlelight with Barry White playing in the background.

My favourite restaraunt in Aberdeen has to be Sai Gon on Crown Terrace, but be warned, it's quite expensive. The only reason I've experienced it is because my Dad has taken me there and got work expenses to pay for it. I'm not sure what the prices are the now, but its somewhere between 20 and 25 pound for the all you can eat menu, which is excellent, because they cook the dishes, not premade like Shitty Chungs. Usually its like a huge starter platter, duck pancakes, then whatever you want from the menu.

good call, this is my fave too....going there soon for my birthday!!!! There is aslightly cheaper menu which is 18 and has a good selection of food....smoked corn chicken is the business!

Guest Tam o' Shantie

btw need to book a table for tomorrow - can anyone recommend gastro/general continental/traditional food anywhere? nae indian/asian/turkish places (bloody foreigners) please

btw need to book a table for tomorrow - can anyone recommend gastro/general continental/traditional food anywhere? nae indian/asian/turkish places (bloody foreigners) please

I was at Cafe Boheme on Windmill Brae last weekend, that was really good stuff in the continental/french mould if that's what you're looking for.

What's wrong with the Ashvale? I've had nothing but good meals there. Plus you get a cup of tea and a slice of loaf if you sit in. Crispy batter, good quality fish. I suppose the chips can be hit or miss but certainly not a bad chipper.

The restaurant may be better than the adjoining takeaway, I haven't eaten in for a while. But it really is fucking shit compared to the better chippers in the area. Get a standard haddock supper from the Ashvale, then get one from Hass' , or from The Bay or the Carron in Stoney, compare it to the Ashvale's one and then never return.

Last time I went the batter was too thick, it was vastly overcooked (probably because the batter was too thick), dry and the chips were shit. The portion was about 2/3rds the size of Hass' as well for about the same price.

Never heard of this Hass' place (had to resist spelling place with an i there). I'll have to try it one day. I would certainly take an ashvale over most chippers in town. It's certainly not as good as its reputation but it beats most bog standard chippers in town. Everyone knows of course the best fish suppers are found in the smaller towns and villages. The one at the harbour in phd, the Dolphin i think it's called, is tremendous but it's sheen has been tarnished since I found out they don't get their fish right off the boats.