aberdeen-music

Restaurant / Takeaway review thread

Lemonade

Could be bollocks but if you're there ask the duty manager and he'll give you the same answer! He said the same to my Mum & Dad when they were there, and my boss.

Not really worth arguing over, to be honest, at the end of the day they are fucking sublime chips, I tell thee!

Guest Gladstone
Could be bollocks but if you're there ask the duty manager and he'll give you the same answer! He said the same to my Mum & Dad when they were there, and my boss.

Not really worth arguing over, to be honest, at the end of the day they are fucking sublime chips, I tell thee!

The chips are magic, but there's no "could be bollocks" about the explanation - it's a wee story they've made up, and I can't believe anyone believes it...

I have heard on numerous occasion this place is good, it's just round the corner form me, so should really try it some day!

Oggy, Alrene and I went to Saigon on Xmas day, it was superb gotta been the best time I have dined there, everything was so fresh and the services was outstanding. Can't wait to go back after payday!

Jewel in the Crown is indeed an outstanding curryhouse,the best in town IMO,yet to try Lahore Karahi though.

Have the chefs also convinced the duty manager that they go out and catch haggis on the hills? Is it definitely the duty manager and not some random lunatic that passes himself off as such?

Not that I wish to argue but I also cannot for the life of me believe that someone would take a crispy chip skin and somehow insert mashed potato into it and repeat this process in order to serve up several meals. I also don't believe that Mr Potato Heed Blumenthal actually follows his 'recipes' on a day to day basis, that's clearly bollocks for books and TV. It's clever and all but I just watch his programmes and get a bit irate.

Methinks you Mr Marsh sir are on the wind up. And perhaps I by answering have made it a success but I could bite my tongue nae longer...:up:

I also don't believe that Mr Potato Heed Blumenthal actually follows his 'recipes' on a day to day basis, that's clearly bollocks for books and TV. It's clever and all but I just watch his programmes and get a bit irate.

The recipes on his TV shows and in his books are completely different to the ones he uses in his restaurant and his gastropub. They're not meant to be replicated on a regular basis. One of his first shows was called 'In Search of Perfection' and was all about finding the perfect burger/curry/whatever and so he really went to town with sourcing the best ingredients, using the best methods etc. The stuff he does on a day-to-day basis is super refined but still designed to be reproduced on a mass scale and so are less fiddly/exacting.

So yes, it is just bollocks for books and TV... in that they are more experiments than practical cookery. But, they're not meant to be anything other than that.

Methinks you Mr Marsh sir are on the wind up. And perhaps I by answering have made it a success but I could bite my tongue nae longer...

T'was fun while it lasted :) It's an "urban legend" they "cooked up" (boom boom) a while ago and like to try and use. Obviosuly not quite good enough to get by you quick - witted fiends on here but nevermind!

But, wind uppage aside, they are lovely fries! (I'm not on commission here - and that's the truth!)

I went to Old Blackfriars for lunch and was served up the most laughable excuse of a cheese and bacon burger I've ever seen.

A large sized bun (which tasted of cardboard) containing a greasy small burger was bad enough. The 2 small "rashers" of fatty bacon and the unmelted processed cheese slice added to the overall shiteness of it. The tasteless, greasy chips were the icing on the cake. 7.95 they charged for this (but they did have 15% off on their "wacky January sale." 100% off would still have been a rip - off, I tell you.) The frankly depressing emo waiter didn't add much to the overall experience either.

I used to think the food there was good but I won't be going back. Shame, beacuse it's a nice old school pub.

I haven't eaten at Blackfriars for ages. The conversation the last time I was there went a little something like this:

ME: "Can I order the haggis, neeps and tatties please?"

WAITRESS: "Have you eaten here before?"

ME: "Yes?"

WAITRESS: "Oh, you're probably going to be disappointed then"

ME: "Um, why?"

WAITRESS: "The portion sizes have, um, changed."

ME: "Interesting that the prices haven't."

WAITRESS: "Um..."

At least she was honest.

I haven't eaten at Blackfriars for ages. The conversation the last time I was there went a little something like this:

ME: "Can I order the haggis, neeps and tatties please?"

WAITRESS: "Have you eaten here before?"

ME: "Yes?"

WAITRESS: "Oh, you're probably going to be disappointed then"

ME: "Um, why?"

WAITRESS: "The portion sizes have, um, changed."

ME: "Interesting that the prices haven't."

WAITRESS: "Um..."

At least she was honest.

Have the standards at the other Belhaven pubs gone similarly downhill? Last time I ate at Ma Camerons it was ok, but I've definitely had better meals there.

The Last time I ate in Mas it was fu*king awful.

Alot of bars in Aberdeen serve absolute crap.

Wild Boar, Hogs Head, Triple Kirks...etc all serve cheap rubbish.

And dont even get me started on Archabald Simpsons and Jusice Mill.

illicit Still, Soul and The Globe are nae bad.

Best bar food I've found in recent times is probably The Atheneum.

-

The Last time I ate in Mas it was fu*king awful.

Alot of bars in Aberdeen serve absolute crap.

...The Globe are nae bad.

A lot of people seem to say the globe are good, but it's the same food (all Belhaven) as Ma's and Blackfriars. So it's strange that it'd be any better.

A lot of people seem to say the globe are good, but it's the same food (all Belhaven) as Ma's and Blackfriars. So it's strange that it'd be any better.

Hmm maybe they source there own food stuff.

Or its rented from Belhaven. Or thats who their booze contract is with.

Or its just cooked better...and served with a smile.

-

i have to disagree with all the Hass lovers out there.

I was well looking forward to fish and chips last weekend but while the chips were very tasty, the fish had been left in the fryer too long and was overcooked and pretty crap.

On the other side of the coin, dolphin on chapel street or wherever all the takeaways are up there is fucking epic. By far the best chips for post 3am drunken stagger home. I had some last weekend and i kept reiterating how awesome they were every 3 chips to my mate.

i have to disagree with all the Hass lovers out there.

I was well looking forward to fish and chips last weekend but while the chips were very tasty, the fish had been left in the fryer too long and was overcooked and pretty crap.

On the other side of the coin, dolphin on chapel street or wherever all the takeaways are up there is fucking epic. By far the best chips for post 3am drunken stagger home. I had some last weekend and i kept reiterating how awesome they were every 3 chips to my mate.

The Dolphin has been epically shite for the past couple of years so i'm glad it's got better again.

Agreed on Hass's.....it's OK, but used to be brilliant when it was the Golden Fry. Can't say I've had a chip supper worthy of massive praise from anywhere for years.

I still vote Eagle May as best of the Chinese ones around my area.

Last 'sittie-doon' one I had was at Yat Tai before it moved.....it was very nice, but I had a big mouthfull of some green stuff that turned out to be mouth burningly vicious, and the tastebuds took hours to recover.

edit......actually, last 'sittie-doon' ones have been in Kilau, where I'm very partial to the soups :up: