aberdeen-music

Restaurant / Takeaway review thread

Lemonade

Agreed on Hass's.....it's OK, but used to be brilliant when it was the Golden Fry. Can't say I've had a chip supper worthy of massive praise from anywhere for years.

I still vote Eagle May as best of the Chinese ones around my area.

Last 'sitte-doon' one I had was at Yat Tai before it moved.....it was very nice, but I had a big mouthfull of some green stuff that turned out to be mouth burningly vicious, and the tastebuds took hours to recover.

That would be wasabi. Handle with care!

...yep...that was the culprit. It looked like thick green mayonnaise, so I wolfed a large amount before discovering it could strip paint.

Surely logic would dictate that if you aren't sure what something is, you'd have a little taste of it first to make you like it before you plaster it all over your food! Though I did a similar thing recently while eating sushi, there was a huge plop of raw grated ginger at the bottom of the plate, and I didn't know what it was so I just necked the whole lot at once. I could taste ginger for about three days.

talking of portion size, I went to Cove Bay Hotel for dinner last Friday and the portion was exceptionally huge! I opted for the Steak pie and chips, came on a huge oval plate with Peas and acarrots, with half a plate of chunky beef (which also had carrots in it)

Was delicious, but I couldn't finish it - I gave it a good try tho, it was cold before I decided to stop!

talking of portion size, I went to Cove Bay Hotel for dinner last Friday and the portion was exceptionally huge! I opted for the Steak pie and chips, came on a huge oval plate with Peas and acarrots, with half a plate of chunky beef (which also had carrots in it)

Was delicious, but I couldn't finish it - I gave it a good try tho, it was cold before I decided to stop!

Wasn't thrilled with the Cove Bay Hotel myself. Me and the missis both asked for our meals with no veg or salad. They brought them out, both with veg and salad, which took up more than half of the plate both times.

Wasn't thrilled with the Cove Bay Hotel myself. Me and the missis both asked for our meals with no veg or salad. They brought them out, both with veg and salad, which took up more than half of the plate both times.

How hard can that be! I havent' been there in ages but it was a friday and it was empty..maybe why!

Hmm maybe they source there own food stuff.

Or its rented from Belhaven. Or thats who their booze contract is with.

Or its just cooked better...and served with a smile.

-

Probably not the first two, the menu's are almost identical across the chain.

Most likely the third. Maybe they have a better microwave...

The problem is that a little taste of something small often involves eating a whole thing that probably shouldn't be eaten at all. Like those little red peppers that are hotter than a thousand suns. I've had really seedy jalapeos (ooh I like how my browser does the tilde for me) and habanero hot sauce which are pretty devastating but that little red fucker couldn't be quenched with a half dozen pints of water.

The problem is that a little taste of something small often involves eating a whole thing that probably shouldn't be eaten at all. Like those little red peppers that are hotter than a thousand suns. I've had really seedy jalapeos (ooh I like how my browser does the tilde for me) and habanero hot sauce which are pretty devastating but that little red fucker couldn't be quenched with a half dozen pints of water.

As much as i hate milk it is great for combating the effects of spicy food.

Guest Gladstone

Everytime I read the word "takeaway" it makes me want to grab a chinese takeaway en route home from work later...

I've not long finished my lunch and I'm hungry already...

Have tried Dave's insanity hot sauce, it is insanely hot, but tastes if nothing.. :down:

I was at a stag do in Poland a few years ago, we were in this fancy Italian restaurant, and they had plants growing in the middle of the table with those little red peppers growing on them. We convinced the stag that they were an appetiser, so he picked one off and popped it in his mouth, whole. Burnt his mouth to shit, he had to go to the toilet to pour cold water over his lips and tongue to cool it down. While he was gone, we took a bunch more of them and rubbed them all over his cutlery, and round the rim of his drinking glasses. All through the meal he was complaining that all he could taste was the pepper. It was funny.

I was at a stag do in Poland a few years ago, we were in this fancy Italian restaurant, and they had plants growing in the middle of the table with those little red peppers growing on them. We convinced the stag that they were an appetiser, so he picked one off and popped it in his mouth, whole. Burnt his mouth to shit, he had to go to the toilet to pour cold water over his lips and tongue to cool it down. While he was gone, we took a bunch more of them and rubbed them all over his cutlery, and round the rim of his drinking glasses. All through the meal he was complaining that all he could taste was the pepper. It was funny.

Was Cloud there?

Guest Gladstone
Also good for vaginal infections. So I'm told.

Where do you put the yoghurt? Is it "applied" or does it help just to eat it?

Not that I've got a vaginal infection, honest.

Guest Gladstone

That could be a Wkd advert.

You bastards.

I wasn't subjected to anything like that at my stag weekend - thankfully they just tied me to a set of goalposts, whipped down my kecks and fired footballs at my bare arse.

I did prove my manliness when I snapped the tie-wraps just by pulling. I'm hard as fuck me.

I'd prefer that to being clarted in tar and feathers, to be honest. Unless you did that as well?

I'd prefer that to being clarted in tar and feathers, to be honest. Unless you did that as well?

We did. Though it wasn't tar and feathers, it was, among other things, pasta sauce, ketchup, brown sauce, treacle, jam, lemon curd, soup, dog food, a gallon of vinegar, syrup, flour, eggs, spaghetti, beans, custard and whatever else I could find on the shelves in Asda that would be sticky and smell bad, all mixed together in five big stinky buckets. Once we covered him in that, I splatted half a cream cake in his face, then covered him in a box of grass seed and a big packet of hamster bedding / wood shavings, just to make sure it was itchy as fuck as well as stinking.

After he was cleaned up w took him out and got him pissed, so it was OK.

I was his best man. I never want to get married, just because I know he'll want to go one further.

Guest Gladstone
We did. Though it wasn't tar and feathers, it was, among other things, pasta sauce, ketchup, brown sauce, treacle, jam, lemon curd, soup, dog food, a gallon of vinegar, syrup, flour, eggs, spaghetti, beans, custard and whatever else I could find on the shelves in Asda that would be sticky and smell bad, all mixed together in five big stinky buckets. Once we covered him in that, I splatted half a cream cake in his face, then covered him in a box of grass seed and a big packet of hamster bedding / wood shavings, just to make sure it was itchy as fuck as well as stinking.

After he was cleaned up w took him out and got him pissed, so it was OK.

I was his best man. I never want to get married, just because I know he'll want to go one further.

Getting married first out of your mates is king. I did that last year, and they were not too bad to me, but there will certainly be some revenge to be had.

I'm best man at a wedding this year. We'll be getting the bastard good. That's right Circus Hands - I know you're reading this... ;)