aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

I love his chat. Pulls no punches.

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | A | Aberdeen | Lack of funds thwarts Dons boss

"There's no shop out there called Strikers 'R' Us" made me laugh.

The same story is on Teamtalk with a story about a mystery "star" player that has me wondering who it was:

McGhee rules out new arrivals | Scottish Premier League | Football News from TEAMtalk

"I thought we might negotiate (them) down, selling the idea that we would get them in the shop window - one in particular from Norway, who I felt would have been a good signing for us, but which fell to bits on Monday."

McGhee, who revealed that player would have become the biggest earner at the club, also said he had turned down a number of youngsters.

His patter is certainly unique. A little depressing but that's the reality of it, it's real money....

I think he's been hitting the nail on the head ever since he started with us.

Some Dons fans, (in fact Scottish football fans generally) live in an utterly fantastical world completely at odds with the hard facts and frankly, these idiots need someone at the sharp end to tell them bluntly that they're talking utter pish if they think we could/should be spending outwith our means.

Doubt it will make one grain of difference to your typical knuckle-dragging Dons "fan", but you can hope.

I really hope Fifa stick to their word. Football authorities seem to be a bit of a soft touch when it comes to appeals, and its rare a harsh punishment in football has stuck. Some clubs are terrible for tapping up players young players from small clubs, so it will stamp a bit of authority on that part of the game. Ruling them out of next summers dealings would make things quite interesting, especially if they were to lose an integral player.

I really hope Fifa stick to their word. Football authorities seem to be a bit of a soft touch when it comes to appeals, and its rare a harsh punishment in football has stuck. Some clubs are terrible for tapping up players young players from small clubs, so it will stamp a bit of authority on that part of the game. Ruling them out of next summers dealings would make things quite interesting, especially if they were to lose an integral player.

On the flipside though they will have additional wads of cash to throw at the current squad, meaning that naebdy's leaving.

Mind you, maybe the agents will clock this and start demanding ridiculous wages for the players, which Chelsea could refuse to pay and the players bugger off anyway.

However, we all know they will appeal, and this will end up in a ridiculous 10,000 fine, suspended sentence for 2 years and nothing more said about it.

Football saddens me sometimes :down:

I guess it'll come down to whether or not Abramovich will see the ban as a bit of financial respite. I can't see Chelsea losing many folks anyway, as they appear to be one of the more solid units in the EPL, especially in the big four.

So far, it appears they have fined the player considerably more than the actual club, which seems a bit unfair, especially a player of his age and inexperience.

Scottish Cup 1st round got drawn yesterday:

Selkirk v Preston Athletic

Clachnacuddin v Wick Academy

Auchinleck Talbot v Fort William

Nairn County v Golspie Sutherland

Edinburgh University v Vale of Leithen

Inverurie Loco Works v St Cuthbert Wanderers

Coldstream v Edinburgh City

Brora Rangers v Irvine Meadow

Buckie Thistle v Forres Mechanics

Whitehill Welfare v Wigtown & Bladnoch

Fraserburgh v Bonnyrigg Rose

Glasgow University v Girvan

Lossiemouth v Newton Stewart

Rothes v Banks O Dee

Civil Service Strollers v Gala Fairydean

Hawick Royal Albert v Huntly

Dalbeattie Star v Keith

Burntisland Shipyard got the bye.

thing is whilst i'm all for clubs having the right to appeal, why the heck do they seem to always reduce the sentence? as far as i can see, the rules were broken and they need to be severely punished as a deterrant. in all honesty given the squad they have, chelsea shouldnt have too many problems getting through the ban. but we all know it will be reduced on appeal.

Scottish Cup 1st round got drawn yesterday:

Selkirk v Preston Athletic

Clachnacuddin v Wick Academy

Auchinleck Talbot v Fort William

Nairn County v Golspie Sutherland

Edinburgh University v Vale of Leithen

Inverurie Loco Works v St Cuthbert Wanderers

Coldstream v Edinburgh City

Brora Rangers v Irvine Meadow

Buckie Thistle v Forres Mechanics

Whitehill Welfare v Wigtown & Bladnoch

Fraserburgh v Bonnyrigg Rose

Glasgow University v Girvan

Lossiemouth v Newton Stewart

Rothes v Banks O Dee

Civil Service Strollers v Gala Fairydean

Hawick Royal Albert v Huntly

Dalbeattie Star v Keith

Burntisland Shipyard got the bye.

I'll probably make my annual pilgrimage to watch Fraserburgh play against somebody I've never heard of in the Scottish Cup. We played Hawick Royal Albert last year and we tanked them, before getting pumped out by Dumbarton in the second round.

I really dont understand why Arsenal are appealing? Look at the replay. It's ridiculous. They are going to walk in there, say "No, it's not fair", and Sepp Blatter himself will smugly press play, and a slow motion replay of Eduardo's dive will repeat on a massive screen until Arsenal's legal bods slowly shift out of the door. How can FIFA ever say "Well, you're right, I guess it wasn't a dive. No ban". It just can't happen. Whilst I feel sorry for Wenger due to Eduardo being picked on when this happens all the time, it would be easier on everyone if he just took it on the chin, and admitted "Yeah, that suspiciously suntanned Croatian fell over fuck all".

United are now being probed over some French youngster as well. Looks like the floodgates have been opened by Lens. However, I'm fairly certain the Le Havre youngster isn't even registered at United, so they might sneak out unscathed. Looks like every club who has been wronged by a big club is going to come out of the woodwork now though. It will start off exciting, but it will result in being tedious.

The reason the sentence is often reduced comes down to the fact that while FIFA dish out the initial punishment any appeal goes through the independent Court for Arbitration of Sport who deal in all kinds of transfer disputes in football and also get involved in doping related appeals in other sports. I guess they sometimes have a different perspective of what denotes a reasonable punishment.

Roma got done for a similar thing a few years back when they stole Phillipe Mexes from Auxerre, that one was reduced from 2 windows to just the one.

Didn't Chelsea get bollocked for "tapping up" Assley Cole as well? (And no that wasn't a typo). Did they get punished for that as well?

It's a bit more than just tapping up, or I imagine every top 2/3/4 club in the biggest leagues would be in a bit of shit. The lad has apparently signed a contract with Chelsea whilst still being under contract at Lens, Rather than just being a persistent bastard, like Chelsea were with Cole, and United were with Berbatov.

I really dont understand why Arsenal are appealing? Look at the replay. It's ridiculous. They are going to walk in there, say "No, it's not fair", and Sepp Blatter himself will smugly press play, and a slow motion replay of Eduardo's dive will repeat on a massive screen until Arsenal's legal bods slowly shift out of the door. How can FIFA ever say "Well, you're right, I guess it wasn't a dive. No ban". It just can't happen. Whilst I feel sorry for Wenger due to Eduardo being picked on when this happens all the time, it would be easier on everyone if he just took it on the chin, and admitted "Yeah, that suspiciously suntanned Croatian fell over fuck all".

Clearly zee Scottish FA and zee Scottish mafia inside FIFA 'ave tampered wiv zee video.

bloody hell Cambridge 7 Forest Green 0... i actually felt sorry for our opponents towards the end - outplayed and outclassed although we were playing pretty shit before the opening goal just before half time. then nicked a second straight after the restart, then got a pen 2 mins later and their keeper stupidly threw the ball at the ref and got his marching orders, from then on in the result was never in any doubt, in reality we could have hit double figures! it must be a dream, has to be! you can bet your bottom dollar we'll fuck up at home on tuesday night against altringham!

well done scotland btw.

and fuck me if the pen in the england game had been given against england, those wank arse ITV commentators and pundits would have been calling for the ref to be executed in public! good goal from defoe mind...