aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

the thing that impresses me about capello is that he doesnt give a shit about the ridiculous media circus that surrounds the england team and just gets on with the job. now it wasnt the most difficult group in the world but both croatia and ukraine can be tricky opponents and he's done well to win 8 out 8. you cant write england off for the tournament mind, be interesting to see how capello copes if a result doesnt go his way. he seems cool as a cucumber mind.

it is interesting the amount of top nations who are struggling to qualify. at least on the post match phone in, alan green was actually playing down england's chances. its usually talksport who ham england up to the hilt, especially that peterboro united supporting tosser adrian durham.

There's a story that I like telling about Talksport. I was listening to Talksport while driving to work one evening late 2004. They were having a phone in discussion about how England should spend the money that they get for winning the upcoming '06 World Cup - should it go to the clubs or be invested at grass roots?

At this point England hadn't even qualified for the World Cup, they had only played 4 qualifying matches!

They did mention on Wednesday when I was listening that the aim for next year is to win the World Cup, during a phone in about which players Capello should take to South Africa, and whether Beckham ought to be in the squad.

the thing that impresses me about capello is that he doesnt give a shit about the ridiculous media circus that surrounds the england team and just gets on with the job. now it wasnt the most difficult group in the world but both croatia and ukraine can be tricky opponents and he's done well to win 8 out 8. you cant write england off for the tournament mind, be interesting to see how capello copes if a result doesnt go his way. he seems cool as a cucumber mind.

it is interesting the amount of top nations who are struggling to qualify. at least on the post match phone in, alan green was actually playing down england's chances. its usually talksport who ham england up to the hilt, especially that peterboro united supporting tosser adrian durham.

I guess you could say the Netherlands result didn't go his way. He pulled back a draw, and controlled the game for the most part, but England keep making defensive howlers, considering the high regard Ferdinand are Terry are held in. I wonder if he came down on them like naughty pupils. He seems like quite a peaceful man, but you can also imagine him running riot and leaving dead horses in players beds who don't perform.

well at the end of the day the netherlands game was a friendly so the result didnt matter. i get the impression that capello is firm but fair and isnt afraid to give the prima donnas a bollocking if necessary. not sure what he sees in heskey mind or why an ageing beckham is still in his plans.

I'm not a fan of Beckham. He looks like a thug. I think his passing really is quite something though, but I don't think he should play on the wing as he's never been quick or skillful. Having him in the middle, knocking the ball around with his precision could be something special. I think he's a better passer of the ball than Lampard, Gerrard or Barry, and has got a cracking free kick. Despite that, I can't imagine wanting to play Beckham ahead of any of those 3 in the middle. Still, I'd rather see Carrick in the middle than Barry, purely because Carrick is better at playing football.

Whilst Holland was a friendly, I still think he would have wanted to win regardless of the importance. It was a massive shame they didn't win as Holland rarely looked like scoring and England looked very good. Beating a team of their standard in any game would have been a massive boost for manager and squad.

3rd favourites to win the World Cup though... Mental. What about the Jarmans or the French? Domenech is absolutely batshit crazy, but look at their strongest starting 11. Henry, Benzema, Ribery, Evra... Some world class acts there. Guess it depends if Domenech will pick them. Didn't he drop Trezequet, Serie A top scorer at the time, because it "wasn't in the stars" ?.

Toughest game of the season so far tomorrow; Cardiff away. We can win it, but I don't have a very good feeling about it (especially with the form Michael Chopra's in). We're missing Carroll, Sholagol (Championship Player of the Month btw, what a legend) and Jonas, but I guess we might see Lovenkrands come on for 20 minutes.

a second 0-0 draw on the trot but unbeaten in six now and only conceded one goal in that run. a steady start to the campaign but i fear we used up a lot of our goals for the season in the 7-0 stuffing of Forest Green Rovers!

what do we think of Adebayor's antics against Arsenal? the stamp was pretty bad although the 'tackle' from Van Persie looked a bit naughty. I know he apologized but his goal celebration in front of the Arsenal fans was well out of order. There is no excuse for winding up a crowd like that, there could have been a riot!

what do we think of Adebayor's antics against Arsenal? the stamp was pretty bad although the 'tackle' from Van Persie looked a bit naughty. I know he apologized but his goal celebration in front of the Arsenal fans was well out of order. There is no excuse for winding up a crowd like that, there could have been a riot!

After the Arse fans coming up with that brochure in the summer and giving him stick all games, I think he's perfectly entitled to give them some back. Football fans need to wise up and be able to take stick back when they're dishing it out. Am I right in saying that since he was booked, the FA can't touch him for it?

He'll be hauled over the coals for the stamp, no mistake.

Peterhead threw away a win in the last five minutes AGAIN yesterday. Dominated the game for an hour and should have been 3 or 4 up before we let East Fife back into the game. Jesus.

The Adebayor thing brings back memories of Alex Rae scoring an equaliser at Firhill and running the whole length of the JHS whilst gesturing at the Thistle fans. He was already on a yellow, and promptly got ordered off. The abuse was truly something else, Andy McLaren was also playing for the Dees that day.....

After the Arse fans coming up with that brochure in the summer and giving him stick all games, I think he's perfectly entitled to give them some back. Football fans need to wise up and be able to take stick back when they're dishing it out. Am I right in saying that since he was booked, the FA can't touch him for it?

He'll be hauled over the coals for the stamp, no mistake.

Nah. Football fans are irrational idiots. Absolute lunatics. Adebayor is a professional, even though he doesn't act like it after his constant moaning, and showing a lack of team spirit pretty much all of last season, which got the back up of Arsenal fans, and rightly so, because he's evidently a superb player, but just did not put in the legwork because he wanted away. It's not in any way excusable for him to wind up a couple of thousand visiting fans. His lack of consideration of the consequences showed his lack of respect all round, as the wound up Arsenal fans ended up hospitalizing a City steward.

If he can't get penalised further for the celebration, hopefully he'll get more than a 5k fine for the challenge. 5k is fuck all to a player on 120k+ per week. Pocket change that he probably carries round in his sock. Needs to be banned for at least 3-5 games. He's trying to justify he went for the ball. The ball was 3 yards away, and he directed his studs to Van Persie's face. Inexcusable.

there's no excuse for celebrating in front of the opposing fans. wasn't it gary neville who did something similar against liverpool a few seasons ago? i know footballers have to put up with abuse from idiot supporters but that is part and parcel of the gig. i think a 3-5 game ban would be appropriate to act as a deterrant.

Why should a pitch invader who throws his tickets at a manager be banned for life get the book chucked at him when someone like Adebayor will no doubt get a slight rap on the knuckles for something that's arguably worse? I guess it remains to be seen what the resultant punishment is but i don't see why Paddy Kenny should get a 9 month ban, for example, for doing something that may or may not have been intentional whereas Adebayor will probably only get a 3-5 game ban for intentionally doing something that quite literally could've caused a riot and an indeterminable amount of repercussions on many people as a result.

It really needs to be a ban, Unless they are gonna fine him a years wages or something. Gary Neville got away with a 5k fine for his thrusting and badge kissing infront of the visiting Liverpool fans, although he didn't sprint the length of the pitch to do it - It was still unprofessional. But 5k even to Gary Neville was probably a bit of shrapnel to him.

a ban is the only answer and a lengthy ban at that. the 'heat of the moment' excuse just doesnt wash with me. i know Adebayor had to endure a lot of criticsm and abuse from the Arsenal support but he should have just gone off and celebrated with his own fans. he's proving a lot of them wrong with his good start at man city anyway. players need to take responsibility for their actions on the pitch. why not make that kind of blatent winding up of opposition fans a sending off offence? possibly a bit drastic but it sure as hell might help stamp it out.

5k for what neville did, thats pathetic!!!!