aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

It is quite a big decision... Yes, Defoe's been scoring for fun, but arguably when Heskey plays it brings the best out of Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard.

This is bang on. Gerrard, Rooney and Lampard taking wild shots, that float over the bar look ridiculous when Heskey isn't on the pitch. Only a miss-hit banana-footed slice off the shin towards the corner flag that goes out for a throw in by Heskey can make Gerrard's, Rooney's and Lampard's optimistic efforts look like authentic, dangerous attempts on goal.

I just don't rate Heskey. He's slow, and he's doesn't have a good scoring record from any point in his career. Defoe is on hot form, and he's playing like Michael Owen did 11 years ago. It's the kind of cutting edge England need. We've got plenty of strong players who can hold up the ball and pass. Rooney is superb at that right now. He needs that nippy short arse to lunge into the box to get onto the end of it, or who can run past a defender with the ball. Heskey isn't it. The affect of the game has been proven when Defoe has come on and scored, compared to the usual, mundane first halves where Heskey, if he had a bit of technique, could have wellied in a couple, but hasn't. He's not World Cup material. He certainly isn't going to have any back four on Earth that worried. I think the pace and awareness of Defoe, in his current form, would get goals past anyone right now. The only way to find out is to give him a full 90 minutes. Heskey's had his chance, and he really hasn't provided.

capello must be bumming heskey thats the only reason i can think why he's consistantly picked for England. I don't even think Heskey is good enough for Villa let alone England, I hope he goes for Defoe who is full of confidence and on fire at the mo. Looking forward to the game but shame its on ITV, oh well will put the sound down and listen to five live but then I have to put up with Alan Green, at least he doesnt cover the whole game I suppose!

The annoying thing is that Capello says he only picks his squad based on form and not reputation. This season so far, as well as last season, Michael Owen has a far far superior goals to game ratio. I don't like that little horse riding country boy at all, but surely his FORM should pip him into ther squad above Heskey, who hasn't really hit any form since leaving Wigan, and even then, it was sparse.

He should be further down the pecking order anyway, with Crouch infront of him, and possibly even Darren Bent, which would be a nightmare, but form based, it would be accurate.

I'm not sure I trust Capello and his apparent strict ethics. Lennon has been superb this season and last, and Wright Phillips has been hit or miss, but still manages to start ahead of him? I just don't get it. I should be the manager. I watch Match of the Day every week. I bet Capello doesn't even know what a Gary Lineker is.

Defoe > Crouch > Heskey

Playing Rooney and Defoe up front might actually force the midfield to try and pass the ball along the ground like good teams do, instead of lumping it forwards from the half way line to someone who couldn't hold up an old lady chasing a bus never mind a football. That'd probably be a good thing, right?

Surely there should be a massive gap, between Crouch and Heskey? perhaps involving every English born striker (that includes Andy Johnson), midfielders who can play striker if he has to, The Football Focus and Match of the Day panels, and even you and me, if the numbers are short. Then Heskey.

Only five inches.

At least Crouchy has that riding-a-horse overhead kick thingy and a robotic dance.

petercrouch147wu.jpg

133ku.jpg

peter+crouch+photoshop+game.jpg

i'd have owen in the squad in front of heskey, deffo include crouch but he only seems to do the biz against the shittier teams and has hardly started for spurs though i'm sure he'll get his chance with injuries and when defoe inevitably dries up. capello seems to favour carlton cole as well. yes england have done very well in the qualifiers against argueably a pretty weak group but i'm not sure if theyre going to do it against the likes of Brazil and Spain. We shall see. I think England will win tonight though by the odd goal in three.

I think England looked reasonable against Holland, who only managed to score from defensive howlers and rarely got close with their own movement. The game was changed dramatically whe Defoe came on, which they should have had from the start. It was the same kind of cutting edge they had the first time round against Croatia when Theo Walcott scored a million goals.

I actually think Heskey is a pretty decent player, but you need to play a certain way to accomodate him. His technique isn't great and his goalscoring record is pretty crap, but he's incredibly strong and very good in the air. He does a lot of the simple, ugly stuff that goes unnoticed a lot of the time, and I'm pretty certain that guys like Rooney and Owen have gone on the record to state that they love playing with him because he does a lot of the hard graft for them.

The problem with Heskey is that you need to put the vast majority of your attacking play through him for him to be effective. He needs to be the focal point so he can bring the ball down and wait for runners from midfield; if you put your play through Rooney then you're fucked, because Heskey's movement isn't very good at all. You need a very precise, rigid system of play to play to Emile's strengths, and this is a big part of what destroyed Aston Villa's form during the second half of last season. Before they signed him they were playing a thrilling brand of football with John Carew flanked by a combination of Agbonlahor/Milner/Young . They bought Heskey and messed with their system so that they could play him, and everything went to shit.

This is why I don't think he should be in the England squad. He was fantastic at Wigan because he was one of the best players in the squad, so they could afford to put everything through him, but he's only the third best out-and-out striker in the Villa squad and one of the worst in the England team. Defoe would be a much better option - the boy's absolute dynamite at the moment. I wouldn't start Michael Owen as I've watched him plod around the field completely uninterested for the past few years (he's not a "natural goalscorer" anymore, no matter what the media may try to tell you. Have you seen some of the chances he's missed already for United?), but he's a good option for the bench. Crouch definitely, as he gives you something a little different (I think it's important to have a strong mix of striking options).

Lennon should be a starter. He's been excellent this season and SWP's hardly set the world on fire. I'd even put Jimmy Milner ahead of Wright-Phillips; really good winger. Not the fastest in the world, but he's a good crosser, works his socks off, and he can fairly spank them from range, too. We'd never have been relegated if we hadn't sold him and Charlie Zog.

Man United are getting investigated by FIFA over their signing of a promising young Italian defender. Reckon this'll get more serious? What if they are investigated for their signings from Lazio, including Macheda, who effectively won them 6 points at the end of last season? This could get interesting. I'd love to see Man United get 'the book thrown at them'. No, literally, Sir Alex Ferguson having a massive book pelted as his red little face. What a sight.

Man United are getting investigated by FIFA over their signing of a promising young Italian defender. Reckon this'll get more serious? What if they are investigated for their signings from Lazio, including Macheda, who effectively won them 6 points at the end of last season? This could get interesting. I'd love to see Man United get 'the book thrown at them'. No, literally, Sir Alex Ferguson having a massive book pelted as his red little face. What a sight.

There's something about Italian clubs not being allowed to offer professional contracts to under 16's, which is why the Macheda transfer was all above board, despite huge complaints from Lazio at the time. I imagine this will have a similar result, however the floodgates have been opened a ridiculous extent since Chelsea were scrutinised over Lens' Kakuta. Now every club is kicking up a stink over their youngsters leaving. Man City are in the thick of it too. As I said before, the three richest clubs in the EPL not allowed to spend money til 2011? Pretty interesting.

Really?! You're unbeaten in the qualifying group, are you not?

Yes. 8 in 8. There is very little creativity on the left though. Only Ashley Cole seems to be out there, which means they can keep 2 men on Lennon because they know we're not gonna use the left flank. Lennon still caned though. I hope that pushes Wright Phillips back down the pecking order.

I still think the game changes dramatically when Heskey comes off and Defoe comes on. Rooney plays the Heskey role alot better, holding up the ball and providing as well as actually having some pace. Hopefully Hargreaves will be fit and have played plenty of football in time for next summer. I'd have him over Gaz Baz all day long.