aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

When put that simply of course no one would argue with that. No one is going to say watching Emmerdale is more important than staying alive. However for previously mentioned reasons I still think people in poverty buying a nice television is understandable and excusable. Struggling in poverty must wear people down so much that splashing out a little bit on something would be kind of necessary for your sanity whether it makes financial sense or not.

But then surely they can't really moan about lack of money to buy food. When I lived in Aberdeen I was properly poor. For a time I never owned a tv because I couldn't afford one. When I did get a tv it was a second hand set out of cash converters. I honestly can't get my head around. Of course from time to time I'd get myself some kind of luxury but usually it was just a cd or a book to read.

Every time I've brought a guitar to work for 7 years, AGFW has made the same joke. "Oh look, Teabags has come to play us a song."

Fuck off.

I get that as well, but people ask if its a Guitar. When I tell them it's a Bass, they still ask for a tune.

I can't really do a tune, but I can give you a locked in groove. All I need is a drum beat

• Upvote 1

Dick drivers who think they're being chivalrous by stopping to let me cross, when there is steady traffic coming in opposite direction.

Cheers fudfeatures, just make out I'm the one holding up the traffic behind you because you have no common sense. 

Surely the problem here lies with the dick drivers coming in the opposite direction who should see what is going on and also stop for you? I sometimes stop to let people cross in the expectation that other drivers will do likewise. Doesn't often work, but I'm not going to stop being nice to people just in case I'm the only one doing it. It's my pet hate - I think it's quite an Aberdeen thing, but I hate the drivers who resolutely plough on deliberately ignoring anyone else. It doesn't take much to simply slow down, let someone across then speed up again. No time lost, but time saved for someone.

Surely the problem here lies with the dick drivers coming in the opposite direction who should see what is going on and also stop for you? I sometimes stop to let people cross in the expectation that other drivers will do likewise. Doesn't often work, but I'm not going to stop being nice to people just in case I'm the only one doing it. It's my pet hate - I think it's quite an Aberdeen thing, but I hate the drivers who resolutely plough on deliberately ignoring anyone else. It doesn't take much to simply slow down, let someone across then speed up again. No time lost, but time saved for someone.

This. The amount of times i have had to double check crossing zebra crossings because for some reason drivers seem to think that saving that extra 3 seconds not stopping is going to somehow save their day, i far prefer people with a bit of courtesy that let you cross the road, zebra crossing or not, even with cars behind them, its just good bloody manors to do it from time to time, just like holding a door open for someone. 

More pedestrian gripes. I hate it when I'm crossing across a junction, assuming it is clear because no one is signalling to turn. Half way across, some last-second-indicator bombs around the corner and toots his horn because I'm crossing. My right of way, son. Should have indicated sooner, and I wouldn't have crossed. Only indicating as you go round the corner whilst I'm crossing and not before you approach the corner makes you a total turd, and will probably make me cross the road slower, on purpose. I might even stop dead and shrug at why you're beeping, if I'm feeling particularly cunty.

• Upvote 2

Guest Cool Thinker

More pedestrian gripes. I hate it when I'm crossing across a junction, assuming it is clear because no one is signalling to turn. Half way across, some last-second-indicator bombs around the corner and toots his horn because I'm crossing. My right of way, son. Should have indicated sooner, and I wouldn't have crossed. Only indicating as you go round the corner whilst I'm crossing and not before you approach the corner makes you a total turd, and will probably make me cross the road slower, on purpose. I might even stop dead and shrug at why you're beeping, if I'm feeling particularly cunty.

That reminds me of the crossing on Guild Street you can never predict if no car is coming so your risking your life every time you go to Union Square.