aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

We probably all agree that ideally people shouldn't be eating microwave ready meals everyday.  Oliver's point about people eating bad food and spending on gadgets wasn't what I had a problem with.  His proposed solution appeared to be stop using supermarkets, but that's not in any way feasible.

Most families, not just poor ones, don't have the time or can afford to go round lots of local shops or markets to get the contents of their average weekly shop.  It would take them all day.  Jay Raynor's produced a great book on this subject which I'm reading at the moment.  He makes the point that while shopping local and seasonal can be a great lifestyle choice for the well off and isn't a bad thing, it's not a solution to feeding the masses or alleviating food poverty.  Large scale agriculture and big supermarkets have made food cheaper and easier to get for the vast majority of people.  Could they do better? Yes. Should we abandon them and go back to local shops? Not if you like the choice and value you have now.

Supermarkets are where the vast majority of people in the UK go to buy their food.  They have to be part of the solution.  They're not going anywhere and people aren't going to suddenly stop using them.  You should be able to produce healthy, affordable meals using ingredients from most supermarkets. It just takes a bit of meal planning and education.

I'm sure he knows this, despite the romatic ideals about Sicilian mussels and local markets he made in the article.  I'm also sure that the series wil probably be excellent and genuinely informative. Plus everyone will watch it due to the pubicity it's received this week.

We probably all agree that ideally people shouldn't be eating microwave ready meals everyday.  Oliver's point about people eating bad food and spending on gadgets wasn't what I had a problem with.  His proposed solution appeared to be stop using supermarkets, but that's not in any way feasible.

Most families, not just poor ones, don't have the time or can afford to go round lots of local shops or markets to get the contents of their average weekly shop.  It would take them all day.  Jay Raynor's produced a great book on this subject which I'm reading at the moment.  He makes the point that while shopping local and seasonal can be a great lifestyle choice for the well off and isn't a bad thing, it's not a solution to feeding the masses or alleviating food poverty.  Large scale agriculture and big supermarkets have made food cheaper and easier to get for the vast majority of people.  Could they do better? Yes. Should we abandon them and go back to local shops? Not if you like the choice and value you have now.

Supermarkets are where the vast majority of people in the UK go to buy their food.  They have to be part of the solution.  They're not going anywhere and people aren't going to suddenly stop using them.  You should be able to produce healthy, affordable meals using ingredients from most supermarkets. It just takes a bit of meal planning and education.

I'm sure he knows this, despite the romatic ideals about Sicilian mussels and local markets he made in the article.  I'm also sure that the series wil probably be excellent and genuinely informative. Plus everyone will watch it due to the pubicity it's received this week.

This was part of what I didn't get about it either.  It would be lovely if we could all eat fresh produce from farmers markets or freshly caught seafood, but it just doesn't seem to be a realistic solution.  I also was a little confused about the supermarket vitriol seeing as he's poster boy for Sainsbury's? 

I'm actually quite interested in watching the series and see what he comes up with,  I'm genuinely a fan of most of his time saving, money saving healthy eating attitude, as I said before, I think his heart's in the right place, I just think he needs to be a little more careful with his public outbursts.  Of course, luckily, his supposed target audience will all be able to tune in I'm sure, thanks to their "fucking massive TVs".  How fortunate.

• Upvote 4

When put that simply of course no one would argue with that. No one is going to say watching Emmerdale is more important than staying alive. However for previously mentioned reasons I still think people in poverty buying a nice television is understandable and excusable. Struggling in poverty must wear people down so much that splashing out a little bit on something would be kind of necessary for your sanity whether it makes financial sense or not.