aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Moving house with BT is horrendous.

Sky is a piece of piss. Redirecting mail? A doddle. British Gas? No problem. BT? Fuuuuuuuu. Just switch off the currently supply and switch it on at a different address, no? No. It's just not that easy. They say they'll switch off your current supply the day after your move, but they don't. It usually happens a week prior, or has done for me on 2 occasions. Then when you get to your new house, they give you a date for connection which you think "Yeah. that's okay. Could be worse". Then you'll probably get another letter with the date pushed back 3 weeks, for no apparent reason

They will bring it back if you yell at them. Threatening them helps. Don't rule out getting a bit racist. (not really)

That has happened to me recently except even better than pushing the date back 3 weeks they decided to cancel my order completely and didn't tell me until I rang up the day after I was supposed to be connected to ask why. Decided to not follow that up but get Sky to hook up my phoneline instead but they've also cancelled my order twice now and I have to ring up again today to sort it out. No idea what's going on, it's been a month since I moved and there's no sign of a working phone line coming soon. That'd be fine except that I can't even order broadband until I have a phone line in place. It's making me sad. Very sad indeed.

Been left with permanent side-effects of antibiotics I took at the end of last month. Completely fucked up my balance, headaches, ringing in ears, eyes disturb my balance when they move, head feels like a brick. Been put on other meds that I'm terrified of. Having to take legal action in 6 weeks or so and go through therapy i.e. learn how to walk like a sober person and have tests done soon. Gutted is not even the word. Life ruined maybe? Most upsetting thing is I can't work, I may not be able to go to uni, etc. Pet hate and a half. When you just get your life in order and are hit with something shit requiring MRI scans, etc. Absolutely terrified.

Shit, that sounds terrible. Sorry to hear that and I really hope it doesn't turn out to be permanent and you are able to recover sometime soon. Very scary to think though that it's all caused by taking some antibiotics supposed to help you.

I feel at my lowest point right now as I've been sitting for 3 weeks waiting in hope that it goes away but wake up and realise it's still there every morning. I don't know who to talk to at all anymore - pretty sure friends and family are being affected by it now and keep being mislead by doctors covering their asses. I hope so too. :'(

Been left with permanent side-effects of antibiotics I took at the end of last month. Completely fucked up my balance, headaches, ringing in ears, eyes disturb my balance when they move, head feels like a brick. Been put on other meds that I'm terrified of. Having to take legal action in 6 weeks or so and go through therapy i.e. learn how to walk like a sober person and have tests done soon. Gutted is not even the word. Life ruined maybe? Most upsetting thing is I can't work, I may not be able to go to uni, etc. Pet hate and a half. When you just get your life in order and are hit with something shit requiring MRI scans, etc. Absolutely terrified.

Sorry to hear about this. Your posts were worrying me. You're probably caught in an unfortunate cycle of anxiety over it all... thinking 'what if I never recover?', 'What if i'm going mad?' etc. That WILL go away and your life definitely isn't ruined (whether you are left with permanent physical side effects or not). Hope you make a full recovery and also manage to get what you deserve out of the legal proceedings.

• Upvote 4

Sorry to hear about this. Your posts were worrying me. You're probably caught in an unfortunate cycle of anxiety over it all... thinking 'what if I never recover?', 'What if i'm going mad?' etc. That WILL go away and your life definitely isn't ruined (whether you are left with permanent physical side effects or not). Hope you make a full recovery and also manage to get what you deserve out of the legal proceedings.

Yeah, I had minor to moderate anxiety/depression issues prior to this but I managed those without meds and by just forcing myself to come to terms with awful situations and get over them. I've not been able to cope with this problem though as it's disabling me physically - can't do the things I used to and plans I had have been ruined. I'm thinking exactly what you said there, you're right. :'( You might not realise it but your words do make it a lot easier for me to cope and I appreciate it. I'm usually an extremely cheery person despite the anxiety so this isn't like me at all. Been on the phone to Samaritans almost every day and I really dunno what I would have done without that service.

Edit: The devastating thing is I NEED to get my mind off it and the fact I can't go to band practice because of the noise levels until after I go through testing hurts a lot.

Edited by Dakota

Not at all (at least speaking for me). I've got some hefty mental health stories in my family and family members trained in counselling so I know what it can be like. I've never been afflicted myself (beyond a few bad comedowns in my younger more frivolous years) but I definitely have a heightened awareness of mental health issues due to being so close to it. The physical stuff sounds bad enough, but it'd definitely be worse if you didn't have an outlet on the mental side of things. So yeah, talk to people about it rather than trying to self-medicate. The best bits of advice I can give regarding the anxiety cycle thing is:

1. don't try 'fight' any negative or scary thoughts. Tell yourself as much as possible that you feel the way you feel, it's shit, but that's just the way it is for now. Don't analyze it or give it any 'fuel'... just live with it and it'll go.

2. Go out of your way to do things you normally would (or even do new things you wouldn't). You'll probably be poopin yer knickers at the thought of things like seeing friends, going to the cinema or whatever you like to do but do it anyway. You might indeed feel like utter shit but you'll come out the other side thinking 'it wasn't that bad'. That's huge.

i'll stop the Dr Oz thing now. 

• Upvote 3

If anyone on here has a right to moan, then it's you after reading that. Moan at will. That sounds awful. Hope you do get past it one way or another!

Thank you for the kind words, I try to pretend it's not a big deal but as soon as I turn my head I'm reminded of it, hence the moaning on here. I'm really hoping that between now and the end of the 2 to 3 weeks waiting to get scans, tests, etc it actually ends up resolving on its own. But since the diagnosis was ototoxicity they said no one knows until after the tests are done. :S

Not at all (at least speaking for me). I've got some hefty mental health stories in my family and family members trained in counselling so I know what it can be like. I've never been afflicted myself (beyond a few bad comedowns in my younger more frivolous years) but I definitely have a heightened awareness of mental health issues due to being so close to it. The physical stuff sounds bad enough, but it'd definitely be worse if you didn't have an outlet on the mental side of things. So yeah, talk to people about it rather than trying to self-medicate. The best bits of advice I can give regarding the anxiety cycle thing is:

1. don't try 'fight' any negative or scary thoughts. Tell yourself as much as possible that you feel the way you feel, it's shit, but that's just the way it is for now. Don't analyze it or give it any 'fuel'... just live with it and it'll go.

2. Go out of your way to do things you normally would (or even do new things you wouldn't). You'll probably be poopin yer knickers at the thought of things like seeing friends, going to the cinema or whatever you like to do but do it anyway. You might indeed feel like utter shit but you'll come out the other side thinking 'it wasn't that bad'. That's huge.

i'll stop the Dr Oz thing now. 

No don't stop, haha, I really am grateful for this advice as talking to others who reassure you you're going to get past it is the most valuable thing to me. Being or feeling alone amplifies all symptoms even more. Glad you're aware of these things - more people should be because people close to me haven't known how to appropriately respond to half the crap I'm saying right now (sometimes mindlessly out of stress and fear) which makes me weary of talking about problems since I feel I could be burdening them and I'll get an answer that scares me.

I think a big problem for me is that I definitely do fight negative/scary thoughts, but it backfires like hell when I'm in too weak a state to continue doing so. It seems strange having to accept feeling shit all of a sudden instead of telling it to go fuck itself and forcing happiness. I do this because I'm scared to fall into a depression, but it gets tiresome trying to block out all that hurt. I make it worse by Googling things to see if it's permanent when I know fine well there's no way to tell.

Cinema is a good idea. :) I forced myself out on Sunday and managed to get the bus into town and stay for quite a while, so that's an improvement.

You know what I hate? When you're trying to watch your calories / sugar etc and you pick up a bag of nuts or a tube of Smarties or whatever and it says "100 calories" on the front and you're like "OK that's works for me" then when you're eating it you notice it says "per serving" and it's actually only the calories for a small portion of the food. Like on the front of the Smarties it says "100 calories" but then it says in tiny letters underneath it per 1/2 tube serving. Who the fuck buys Smarties and only eats half the tube? And who gets to decide how big a serving is? Misleading cunts. I bought this tiny little bag of Tesco nuts today and same thing, it says on the front "148 calories", so I buy it thinking I'm being quite good, and I'm munching away on them and I realise it says "per 25g serving". The fucking bag is tiny. No bastard way there's two servings in that. It's a fucking conspiracy. Coke do it to, with their 500ml bottles which is 2 servings according to them. Also Twix. They have the calories on the front per finger. If I'm buying a two finger Twix WHY THE FUCK WOULD I ONLY EAT ONE FINGER. I give Twix the finger, and Tesco can lick my nuts.

You know what I hate? When you're trying to watch your calories / sugar etc and you pick up a bag of nuts or a tube of Smarties or whatever and it says "100 calories" on the front and you're like "OK that's works for me" then when you're eating it you notice it says "per serving" and it's actually only the calories for a small portion of the food. Like on the front of the Smarties it says "100 calories" but then it says in tiny letters underneath it per 1/2 tube serving. Who the fuck buys Smarties and only eats half the tube? And who gets to decide how big a serving is? Misleading cunts. I bought this tiny little bag of Tesco nuts today and same thing, it says on the front "148 calories", so I buy it thinking I'm being quite good, and I'm munching away on them and I realise it says "per 25g serving". The fucking bag is tiny. No bastard way there's two servings in that. It's a fucking conspiracy. Coke do it to, with their 500ml bottles which is 2 servings according to them. Also Twix. They have the calories on the front per finger. If I'm buying a two finger Twix WHY THE FUCK WOULD I ONLY EAT ONE FINGER. I give Twix the finger, and Tesco can lick my nuts.

I lol'd at the last part. What annoys me are those yoghurts that say "fat-free" and have about 15-20g of sugar in one pot instead. Pretty sure that's worse. Lying bats turds.

• Upvote 1

Guest Cool Thinker

People who Neg Rep without even offering an explanation as to why they disagree.

The guy in McDonald's who told the guy who wanted to take his order to wait until he was finished phoning someone there was a big queue. How disrespectful can you be if only it was me behind that counter.

People who say "oh I would not want to be young in 2013" that is depressing, cheer up. They seem to think that 1960 and that were better than now. Things were not great it's just you were too young to realise the problems.

Edited by Cool Thinker
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 10

People who Neg Rep without even offering an explanation as to why they disagree.

The guy in McDonald's who told the guy who wanted to take his order to wait until he was finished phoning someone there was a big queue. How disrespectful can you be if only it was me behind that counter.

People who say "oh I would not want to be young in 2013" that is depressing, cheer up. They seem to think that 1960 and that were better than now. Things were not great it's just you were too young to realise the problems.

When I used to work at maccyd's we used to tell people on the phone to stand to one side before serving.

I think there's good reason for people to say that though. The internet and various modern technology we have now is incredible but I'm very happy that I had my childhood before it took over my life. I'm certainly happy facebook wasn't about when I was at school. 

• Upvote 1