aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

I know a guy who got beaten up by his brother for saying 'speak' instead of 'spik' after spending a year in Aberdeen and going home to the Broch.

Pretty ridiculous when you think about it, but it happened.

I quite believe it, I used to get it all the time when I was college through here during the week and going back to the Broch at the weekend. It's hard to just switch between accents and I would naturally start speaking properly, I used to get called a fucking posh twat and accused of having a fake accent.

But then I do find that anybody who uses the word "posh" is usually a cunt.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
I quite believe it, I used to get it all the time when I was college through here during the week and going back to the Broch at the weekend. It's hard to just switch between accents and I would naturally start speaking properly, I used to get called a fucking posh twat and accused of having a fake accent.

I got called a "toonser" for a while every time I went back to New Deer. I wasn't even using different words i.e. would still use the word "spik" etc in the pub, but after years of being at uni and working in Aberdeen, I'd obviously got a bit more of an Aberdeen accent. It was just gentle ribbing though, nothing offensive.

Same deal for me back when I lived in my home town (Kilmarnock).

I remember going to my mates house and his mum asking if I'd like a cup of tea.

"yes", I replied to a cacphony of derisory snorts and rebuke..."yes? yes? ya posh wanker, it's AYE, ya cunt"

I remember wanting to lift the heavy poker on the fireplace and smash it through his head - as was the fashion in Killie at the time.

In fact I probably did. Not that it would have had much effect.

I got called a "toonser" for a while every time I went back to New Deer. I wasn't even using different words i.e. would still use the word "spik" etc in the pub, but after years of being at uni and working in Aberdeen, I'd obviously got a bit more of an Aberdeen accent. It was just gentle ribbing though, nothing offensive.

That's the difference between New Deer and the Broch, in New Deer you get a gentle ribbing, in the Broch you get a broken Becks bottle stuck in your face!

That's the difference between New Deer and the Broch, in New Deer you get a gentle ribbing, in the Broch you get a broken Becks bottle stuck in your face!

There are a few other "negligible" differences between New Deer and the Broch.

There are a few other "negligible" differences between New Deer and the Broch.
fixed...
do you mean the copius amounts of heroin located in the broch?

In all honesty, the Broch really isn't that rough. There was a big heroin problem in the early part of the 2000s that got a lot of press and gave the town a bad name, but it's not nearly as big a problem now as it once was. The town has it's share of nutters and rough bars, but what town hasn't? Really if you go and visit it's quite picturesque and a quiet, pleasant little town. I feel a lot safer walking around there at night than I do in Aberdeen that's for sure.

We just like to keep up the facade of the Broch being rough as fuck and full of nutters beacuse A) it amuses us, and B) it stops folk messing with you cos they assume you're a fucking lunatic!

In all honesty, the Broch really isn't that rough. There was a big heroin problem in the early part of the 2000s that got a lot of press and gave the town a bad name, but it's not nearly as big a problem now as it once was. The town has it's share of nutters and rough bars, but what town hasn't? Really if you go and visit it's quite picturesque and a quiet, pleasant little town. I feel a lot safer walking around there at night than I do in Aberdeen that's for sure.

We just like to keep up the facade of the Broch being rough as fuck and full of nutters beacuse A) it amuses us, and B) it stops folk messing with you cos they assume you're a fucking lunatic!

Ha, yeah, I can vouch for that actually. I've not been on many nights out in the Broch, but it is actually a bit of a sleepy wee town now. During the day it's a bit of a sorry sight, with all the shops closing down/boarded up etc. and there's really not much going on.

Anyone I've known from the Broch has always been a nice guy (with the exception of that cunt from Cobra Kai)

Ha, yeah, I can vouch for that actually. I've not been on many nights out in the Broch, but it is actually a bit of a sleepy wee town now. During the day it's a bit of a sorry sight, with all the shops closing down/boarded up etc. and there's really not much going on.

Anyone I've known from the Broch has always been a nice guy (with the exception of that cunt from Cobra Kai)

The pubs are a bit rough, and there's sometimes a bit of trouble but if you don't bother anybody nobody bothers you. Maybe I'm just used to it, I don't know. I remember being out in a pub last year on a Saturday night and it kicked off at the table next to us, the table went over and all the glasses shattered everywhere and two guys starting kicking fuck out of each other, nobody even looked round, it's just normal.

The Broch's always been a working class town (albeit a fairly opulent one) but it's good, hard-working honest folk for the most part.

In all honesty, the Broch really isn't that rough.
I remember being out in a pub last year on a Saturday night and it kicked off at the table next to us, the table went over and all the glasses shattered everywhere and two guys starting kicking fuck out of each other, nobody even looked round, it's just normal.

Sounds rough to me.

Sounds rough to me.

As I said, the pubs can be a bit rough but if you don't bother anybody they won't bother you. Really, it's a nice town with some good people. Now Peterheed, that's rough. Junkies shitting in the street, pregnant crack whores on every corner, rotweillers killing babies, etc....

Cash machines. I wish they'd give out 5 notes! Would make life so much easier.

Also, I kinda miss the Aberdeen/and all others from outwith accents. I'm coming up next weekend and going to be staying with a friend in Fraserburgh, it'll be a nice change to the Glasgow accent (or the Falkirk one from work).

Most of my friends that do have strong accents and use a lot of Doric are very capable to speaking 'properly' to those who don't have a clue what they're talking about, but they do revert back so very quickly. It's quite amusing to listen to!!

Cash machines. I wish they'd give out 5 notes! Would make life so much easier.

Also, I kinda miss the Aberdeen/and all others from outwith accents. I'm coming up next weekend and going to be staying with a friend in Fraserburgh, it'll be a nice change to the Glasgow accent (or the Falkirk one from work).

Most of my friends that do have strong accents and use a lot of Doric are very capable to speaking 'properly' to those who don't have a clue what they're talking about, but they do revert back so very quickly. It's quite amusing to listen to!!

that's cause doric is a dialect not an accent.