aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

I can only whistle at greatly inappropriate times, usually when a good looking girl walks past and i'm doing a joke whistle because i can't whistle and low and behold out pops a pristine ear splitting wolf-whistle. Thankfully this has only ever elicited at the very least a smile. The other time was at a funeral. That wasn't as fun.

I can't believe so many folk on here can't whistle! Is it yet another lost art, due to years being spent playing naff computer games/watching MTV or somesuch?

Also....how many on here are half-decent at keepy-up/bools/making paper aeroplanes/adapting syrup tins into useful artefacts such a stilts or telephones/giving painful chinese burns/swearing in foreign tongues? I suspect these have also fallen by the wayside.

I blame 'Screamo'.

• Upvote 1

I can't believe so many folk on here can't whistle! Is it yet another lost art, due to years being spent playing naff computer games/watching MTV or somesuch?

Also....how many on here are half-decent at keepy-up/bools/making paper aeroplanes/adapting syrup tins into useful artefacts such a stilts or telephones/giving painful chinese burns/swearing in foreign tongues? I suspect these have also fallen by the wayside.

I blame 'Screamo'.

You must spread...

I can give a mean chinese burn but no-one can hurt me with one. I think it has something to do with not having much arm skin, but I am unaffected by chinese burns.

I am terrible at keepy ups, have never utilised a tin can once it was empty, I have a mobile phone so don't need a tin can phone (I wouldn't know how to make one work either) and I have never been able to make a functional paper aeroplane.

I am unbeatable at Tekken though.

EDIT: I'm off to download some screamo on to my i-pod and then skip songs when they're only half way through.

Another lost art....skipping! (obviously in a Cassius Clay style, as opposed to Shirley Temple).

edit.....I should've said 'dazzies' instead of bools, as that's what we called it.

Things were simpler in those far-off days....playing was a gradual progression from catching forkytails to playing dazzies to joining in games of cowboys & indians/japs & amerries to massed football kickabouts to scrapping with gangs from Northfield to under-age drinking/forming shite bands.

Whistling all the while:cheers:

1. The 233 days every year that I have to get up and go to work in an office for 8 hours, fraudulently claiming that I have an interest in what I do.

2. The lavish lifestyle (comparative globally) and home comforts that I have become too accustomed to, the maintenance of which dictate that 1. will remain a necessity for the next 40 or so years.

3. Vicious circles.

Guest Gladstone

I blame 'Screamo'.

I think I'm just old enough and no more to have done most of the things on your list. Or it could be the fact that I'm from New Deer and there's fuck all to do in New Deer...

Keepy-ups I can do.

Bools - do you mean bools or lawn bowls? I used to be handy(ish) at lawn bowls when I was a kid. My brother and Dad both played, and I flirted with it until I realised I was far too fucking cool to play bowls. Bools I have played once on holiday and I think I was fucking amazing at it.

I used to make a mean paper aeroplane. It was a simple design that I can still remember now, and could make one out of the paperwork on my desk if I wanted to.

I was definitely involved in making the phone out of tins or plastic cups or something as a kid. I think it was as part of some school project on sound or something. But it still counts.

Chinese burns and horse bites were very common when I was a kid.

Swearing in a foreign language? I know scheisse and merd - no idea if those are the correct spellings.

And, yes I can fucking whistle - not in tune, but then I can't do anything in tune.

Guest Gladstone
Another lost art....skipping! (obviously in a Cassius Clay style, as opposed to Shirley Temple).

Fucking right. I used to skip in a Cassius Clay style as a kid too.

My Dad was by all accounts a very good footballer and very disciplined with his fitness when he was younger, and he swears by skipping.

The crazy bastard used to run 9/10 miles every other day as well as football training twice a week and a match on a Saturday.

TV and computer games have a lot to answer for in the past 20+ years.

Friday morning only coffee drinkers. I go to Starbucks every morning just before 7:30 for my caffeine kick start and there is rarely more than 3 folk in the queue. Friday morning comes and its out the door. Why? Do fucknuggets match dress-down Friday with a cup of coffee or something?

Because they are all bollock-gargling cock monkeys?

• Upvote 1

Friday morning only coffee drinkers. I go to Starbucks every morning just before 7:30 for my caffeine kick start and there is rarely more than 3 folk in the queue. Friday morning comes and its out the door. Why? Do fucknuggets match dress-down Friday with a cup of coffee or something?

It's a Friday treat innit. Like in my office we always have a baag of doughnuts on a Friday, and in a previous job we always had bacon rolls on a Friday.

If you want to skip the Starbucks queue try that little Italian coffee place round the corner on Huntly Street. If you like fresh, tasty Italian coffee..... then go somewhere else. If you like dishwater that tastes like it was made with yesterday's coffee grounds then give it a go.

It's a Friday treat innit. Like in my office we always have a baag of doughnuts on a Friday, and in a previous job we always had bacon rolls on a Friday.

At my old work we went round to Sizzlers and had a Friday special which was 4 items in a bun (I usually went for bacon, sausage, fried egg and lorne sausage) with a free coffee or tea. Around the time I left there I was the heaviest Ive ever been. Sizzlers and the lunchtime visits to the Bakers Oven, I wonder how that happened?

My mind numbing diet I have been on for months has led me to eliminate the Friday morning sausage bun. It was like losing an arm at first but Im used to it now.