aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

People that turn up at work when they're ill like they're some kind of motherfucking hero and proceed to infect me with their germs.

It's a fine line though, really. I never know when to stay at home / go to work when I'm ill (which is rarely, thankfully). I don't want to piss people off by infecting them, but I also don't want to piss people off by not being there to do my job.

Guest Gladstone

Fuck off.

People are too scared of germs these days.

If you've got a cold, you can go to work. Just don't sneeze all over everyone or wipe your snot on their phone/keyboard etc.

If everyone who had a cold just turned up for work all the time, everyone's immune systems would benefit. My immune system is in pretty good nick at the moment. After a weekend of Wizard Festivalling it, my defences were obviously down and I picked up a cold, but I was over it in a couple of days. That's the way it should be.

This "stay at home and get better" attitude is pish. You'll get better quicker (if it is just a cold mind - more serious ailments can't be brushed off as easily) if you just get on with things, rather than lying in a snot-infested lump on your sofa.

Not to mention the fact that if everyone took days off work when they're easily capable of struggling through the day with a sniffle/sore throat/whatever, there would be an enormous amount of days wasted.

good call on the difference between a cold and flu. I was one of those wankers always complaining that a few sniffles was a case of flu. then in 1998 I got proper flu... fuck me what a difference, couldnt eat, was bed ridden for the first two weeks, only ventured out to the shop over the road for supplies. totally different to cold symptoms, took about 6 weeks to fully recover. lost a stone in weight was living on soup and orange juice!

If you have flu you justifiably should be off work, if you have a cold, get your lazy arse in!

Fuck off.

People are too scared of germs these days.

If you've got a cold, you can go to work. Just don't sneeze all over everyone or wipe your snot on their phone/keyboard etc.

If everyone who had a cold just turned up for work all the time, everyone's immune systems would benefit. My immune system is in pretty good nick at the moment. After a weekend of Wizard Festivalling it, my defences were obviously down and I picked up a cold, but I was over it in a couple of days. That's the way it should be.

This "stay at home and get better" attitude is pish. You'll get better quicker (if it is just a cold mind - more serious ailments can't be brushed off as easily) if you just get on with things, rather than lying in a snot-infested lump on your sofa.

Not to mention the fact that if everyone took days off work when they're easily capable of struggling through the day with a sniffle/sore throat/whatever, there would be an enormous amount of days wasted.

You'd be great for managing a Victorian work house by the tone of this rant.

This whole bracketed DJ Set nonsense. Famous band or band member (dj set). What's the point? Get a proper dj or get the band/artist to play a proper set. I presume it's cheaper for promoters and the big name brings a crowd but I always feel a bit cheated.

This gets me too, mainly because if it's an artist I like I usually see their name first and for a brief moment think they'll be playing a proper gig. Only to be disappointed when I realise they'll just be putting on a few CD's they like.

This gets me too, mainly because if it's an artist I like I usually see their name first and for a brief moment think they'll be playing a proper gig. Only to be disappointed when I realise they'll just be putting on a few CD's they like.

It's a total jip. I'm sure it's a fairly recent phenomenon and it's becoming more and more frequent. It's detrimental to djing too as I'm sure plenty of up and coming djs have been bumped just coz some bassist from a 90s britpop band fancies shuffling his iPod.

This whole bracketed DJ Set nonsense. Famous band or band member (dj set). What's the point? Get a proper dj or get the band/artist to play a proper set. I presume it's cheaper for promoters and the big name brings a crowd but I always feel a bit cheated.

Roddy Woomble at The Lemon Tree a while playing a much trumpeted DJ set that turned out to be a load of rather dull folk tunes being a case in point. Can't recall what the gig was now. I don't mind folk music but what he played was just boring as fuck.

Roddy Woomble at The Lemon Tree a while playing a much trumpeted DJ set that turned out to be a load of rather dull folk tunes being a case in point. Can't recall what the gig was now. I don't mind folk music but what he played was just boring as fuck.

One of Gladstone's exposure gigs?

Guest Gladstone

Yeah - I was responsible for that.

Sorry...

To be fair though, he told me he was going to throw a ceilidh party, and then when he turned up he said "I couldn't find any ceilidh CDs - I hope you don't expect me to get people dancing..."

Cheers Roddy :)

The live bands that night were all fucking magic though.

Guest idol_wild

To be fair though, he told me he was going to throw a ceilidh party, and then when he turned up he said "I couldn't find any ceilidh CDs - I hope you don't expect me to get people dancing..."

Cheers Roddy :)

That screams of utter wankery.

You're DJing. At a club night. Go figure, you obstinate precious folk bastard.

PS - Gram Parsons was fucking shit and your band sounds like a really bad REM now.

Guest Gladstone
People who whistle in an office environment.

Excuse me? Yes, I have just had to re-read this clause for the fifth time because you are whistling Fr Elise merely feet away from me. Plus, you don't even work on this floor. Kindly fuck off back to your own office and piss people off up there.

Sorry about that.

Whistling is shite. I wish it had never have been discovered. I hate those who whistle to get the attention of someone. It probably took more effort to stick your fingers in your gob than to just say their name.

I've noticed old people are better at whistling (in a tuneful way, rather than an attention grabbing way) than young people. They can do all that vibrato on the long notes and everything. Grandads are mint at whistling.

I quite like hearing a jolly old man whistling sometimes, because they're usually good at it. I hate people who are shit at whistling who insist on whistling, as it ends up sounding like they are just sucking their teeth.

The other day when I was in the toilet, someone went into the cubical next to me whistling The Final Countdown, which was great. It also reminded me of scenes in Arrested Development which involve Gob being a terrible magician. That too was great. This shouldn't really be in the Pet Hates after all.

Making a nice salmon linguine for my dinner, been looking forward to it all day, then accidentally adding heaps of rosemary rather than parsley. My meal tasted like rosemary and only rosemary, which was very upsetting after I spent a fair bit time and money on the bastard. I am actually quite sad. I believe the modern street term that kids would use for this experience is "cooking fail."

:down:

I've never been able to whistle and I hate that whenever I mention this to someone they either

-laugh heartily pleased with themselves that they can do this supposedly simple task making them a better person than me

-look at me oddly like they are surprised I was even able to dress myself when I am unable to do the simple task of whistling

-or most annoyingly spend five minutes demonstrating how it is done and trying to get me to do it, believing that I have obviously spent my entire life ashamed of myself for not being able to whistle and they will solve all my problems and I will forever be indebted to them.

Whistling sucks!