aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Aberdeen's poorly stocked supermarkets. I had to drive round 3 different supermarkets tonight just to get the ingredients for a fucking blueberry cheesecake! Both Asda and Sainsbury's were sold out of spring-bottomed cake tins and vanilla extract. On the plus side, i now have a yummy looking blueberry cheesecake in the oven.

I hate how whenever something controversial happens, the media automatically starts referring to it as "-gate". It's the most annoyingly overused suffix ever, especially in sport. In Formula 1 in the past few seasons we've had "liegate", "chicanegate", "indygate", "Buttongate", "spygate", and now "crashgate". And of course "bloodgate" in rugby.

Just get an imagination inserted of churning the same old stuff, OK? It's seriously starting to piss me off.

The adding of the suffix -gate to every single scandal type story since the origianl watergate scandal. It's just lazyness of the highest order.

Kakuta-gate is just taking the piss - Early Doors - Your morning briefing blog - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

I hate it when people moan about "gate" being added to the end of a word, especially when it happens twice in the same month.

No they don't. Unless you're going to see Erasure, or suchlike.

:up:

Show Definition | Definition of Show at Dictionary.com

show

??/?o?/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [shoh] Show IPA verb, showed, shown or showed, show?ing, noun

Use show in a Sentence

See web results for show

See images of show

verb (used with object)

1. to cause or allow to be seen; exhibit; display.

2. to present or perform as a public entertainment or spectacle: to show a movie.

Pretty self explanatory if you ask me.

Pretty self explanatory if you ask me.

Not really.

Going to see a major touring band with 700 dancers all wearing yellow jumpsuits, pink umbrellas and inflatable phalluses etc is a show, four bands playing for 35 minutes a throw in a local venue is a fucking gig. Using the word 'show' to try and describe a local gig is just to try and make it sounds more glamourous and important than it actually is, the old 'polishing a turd' analogy springs to mind....

Not really.

Going to see a major touring band with 700 dancers all wearing yellow jumpsuits, pink umbrellas and inflatable phalluses etc is a show, four bands playing for 35 minutes a throw in a local venue is a fucking gig. Using the word 'show' to try and describe a local gig is just to try and make it sounds more glamourous and important than it actually is, the old 'polishing a turd' analogy springs to mind....

So when you're playing for a bunch of face-chewing "locals" you're not performing? Don't be silly.

I've seen you drumming and your gurning and profuse sweating is certainly a "show" rather than a "gig" ;)

I feel the word show should be used for a visual event, such as a play or a musical. When bands play, it's a gig or a concert (depending on the size of the venue).

Oddly enough if you pluralise 'show' it conjurs up images of toothless carnies surfing the waltzers at the park next to the Lido in Peterhead. Is 'the shows' only a North East thing?

People's mangling and misuse of words never bothers me. I like to think that language is always evolving and there is no right or wrong. That said, people who pepper their speech with unnecessary 'likes' bugs me. It's just lazy.

Oddly enough if you pluralise 'show' it conjurs up images of toothless carnies surfing the waltzers at the park next to the Lido in Peterhead. Is 'the shows' only a North East thing?

"Showies", surely? And Peter Fair is the champion of such events.

My current pet hates are this decade's crisps, and repeated facial injuries.