aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

In an amusing aside, if you go to the BBC Iplayer and listen to "Your Call With Jim Traynor" from this Saturday (link), fast forward it to 29 minutes and there's a bloke with a really dodgy Irish accent who just randomly, and quite calmy, says "Get it right up you, you hun fucker". It's quite funny, as Jim Traynor is a fucking knob.

james_traynor.jpg

I'm sure the boy thought it was a good idea at the time.

Aye I just saw that, what a fucking sham!

Totally. Watford were hard done by, to say they clawed their way back to 2-1 up, which really should have been 2-0, only to have Reading "equalize".

I like Reading though, even if they did dick us 6-0.

The proposition of a replay has been dropped anyway. It baffles me how they can retract a red card given for John Terry's very unprofessional rugby tackle, but they can't retract a goal that obviously wasn't a goal.

I was reading a quote from one of the Reading players earlier:

BBC SPORT | Football | Championship | League says no to Watford replay

"We can't do anything about it. It's not our mistake, but what can you do? You can't say 'no ref, it wasn't in'.

Actually, that's the one thing they should have done! It's called good sportsmanship.

Totally. Watford were hard done by, to say they clawed their way back to 2-1 up, which really should have been 2-0, only to have Reading "equalize".

I like Reading though, even if they did dick us 6-0.

The proposition of a replay has been dropped anyway. It baffles me how they can retract a red card given for John Terry's very unprofessional rugby tackle, but they can't retract a goal that obviously wasn't a goal.

If Watford miss out on promotion by 2 points we may not hear the last of it.

I was reading a quote from one of the Reading players earlier:

BBC SPORT | Football | Championship | League says no to Watford replay

Actually, that's the one thing they should have done! It's called good sportsmanship.

Sportsmanship is pretty much out of the window where topflight football (and its surrounding tiers) is concerned though isn't it? A player will happily cheat his way into winning a penalty, or raise his hand and scream at the ref if the ball goes anywhere near a players arm or hand, or even claim a throw in or similar deadball situation where they KNOW they were the last player to touch the ball, but why not try anyway?

My last memory of exemplary sportsmanship was the neo fascist genius that was Paolo Di Canio surprisingly. The ball was crossed in to him as he lost his marker. He could have openly headed the ball into the goal, but the keeper was down injured, so Di Canio caught the ball from the air, suffering a yellow card for deliberate handball, but stopping play so the keeper could recover.

I doubt that would happen again in the modern game.

Although I partially agree with the Reading player. It's not their mistake. All four of the officials have made an absolute belter of a cock-up, and it is their mistake. Between the other three officials who didn't see the incident as a goal, they could have mustered up a bit of courage to tell the on-looking assistant who awarded the goal "You're talking shit, mate"

But that's obviously not an excuse for bad sportsmanship, if it even exists anymore.

I doubt that would happen again in the modern game.

I seem to remember a game involving Plymouth, where the opposition accidently scored after trying to give Plymouth the ball back after they'd put it out for a player to receive tretment. The opposition decided the fair thing to do would be let Plymouth score from kickoff, where they let Steve Crawford jog forward with the ball and put it in an empty net.

Also remember something involving Robbie Fowler and a penalty... I'll have to search for what happened there though.

Away to Morton in the cup tonight = banana slip a'hoy!!

Didn't they replay Sheff Utd v Arsenal in the FA Cup a few seasons ago for a sportsmanship issue? If memory serves, Sheff Utd put the ball out of play so an Arsenal player could receive treatment. After he was treated, the Arsenal player took the throw in and threw the ball long up to the Sheff utd keeper. However Marc Overmars had other ideas and intercepted the pass and jinked it in the bottom corner. There was a furore over it and I'm certain the match got replayed.

Also remember something involving Robbie Fowler and a penalty... I'll have to search for what happened there though.

Aye the Fowler one was he said to the Ref it wasnt a pen, so he took it softly, but i think Owen smashed in the rebound like the cunt he is.

EDIT: Was Jason McAteer who put the rebound in. Owen is still a cunt though.

The Robbie Fowler penalty incident was really funny, he slipped and fell over, the referee awarded a penalty. Fowler got up and told him he had slipped and it wasn't a pen, the ref seemed to think he knew better than Fowler himself so forced him to have a penalty. It must be noted though that Liverpool were already up by 3 goals at the time. Ad far as I remember it though, he just rolled it up to the keeper who picked it up and no one scored a rebound.

I always thought the praise Di Canio got for catching the ball was a bit over the top, I don't think it was easy to score at all, he would have had to have taken it down and beat at least one defender before scoring. Don't get me wrong it was good of him to instantly decide to stop but, some people made out like he had made a diving save to stop the ball crossing the line. I'm also sure he didn't get booked for it.

I'm pretty sure he lost his marker when the ball was crossed in, but it was a long time ago, I could be wrong. I don't actually remember the booking, but it seems to be spoken about when the incident comes into question on a couple of Wednesday boards I frequent on. Wednesday fans are fucking idiots though. It makes me glad I haven't been to Hillsborough for about 18 months.

Well, that's more proof that my memory is unreliable when it comes to old football incidents. I also just read that Fowler said that he did try to score he just happened to hit it really badly.

Anyone else remember Jason McAteer's tv ads for Wash & Go, what a twat.

Back on the Watford incident, it would have been nice if a Reading player had said something at the time, but it was no suprise that it didn't happen. Everyone is right, great examples of sportmanship are all too rare. It is a little understandabel though considering the pressure some players might be under to get results.

ha ha i remember those ads! footballers and advertising should never mix, the kevin keegan ads for road safety and brut spring to mind!

i'm astounded the FA haven't awarded a replay after the watford v reading fiasco. why are refs and assistant refs so expendable for their actions? i mean i know they are only human and everything these days is scrutinized by the media but there can be no excuse for a decision like that! madness!

cambridge are on setanta tonight, we've never won away on tv, in fact we have lost everytime they've shown us away apart from the play off semi final against burton and then we were damn lucky to get a draw.

We gave them a one goal head start and still got through :up:

Partick or Dunfermline in the next round please; I need to exercise some Cup demons :love:

Can't see us getting through tomorrow night.

It's on BBC 1, but I'll be in the pub, probably surrounded by DHB's.

Feel free to draw the Pars and give them a good skelping though.

:up:

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Well, been a good few days for a change. Firstly:

Dunfermline 3-1 Ross County

To be swiftly followed by:

Dunfermline 2-0 St. Mirren

McPherson, Potter, Mason, Hamilton, FGIRUY. 2 games to Hampden, it's never a Diddy Cup when you're still in it...

:up: