aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

Can anybody tell me how the best 8 runners up from 9 groups to qualify for Round 2 works? Especially given that they won't all be playing the same number of games.

In the groups of 5 teams they disregard the results againt the bottom placed team in that group. The second placed team in all 9 groups with the worst record is then out. The 8 remaining second placed teams are then drawn from the hat and play a two legged play off. The 4 winners go through to the Finals.

That's because they think that they're some sort of celebrity.

It's not just Dons players, but at least they stay out of trouble (well, trouble the media don't catch onto) unlike high profile Celtic players a few weeks back.

Obviously they've got to have lives, but their situation is completely different to the normal Joe on the street. A little discretion is needed at times.

My mate Wayne used to work in Simpson's hotel, and quite often served the Dons squad. A couple of years ago when Noel Whelan first signed he was staying in Simpson's and my mate says he was sitting drinking himself silly in the bar virtually every night. One Sunday night he was totally gubbered, Jimmy Calderwood came in, took a look at him and said "Fuck's sake Noel, take the day off training tomorrow and come back in when you're sober". With this Whelan then ordered a BOTTLE of vodka and disappeared up to his room with it by himself. Not surprised he needed to dry out.

My mate Wayne used to work in Simpson's hotel, and quite often served the Dons squad. A couple of years ago when Noel Whelan first signed he was staying in Simpson's and my mate says he was sitting drinking himself silly in the bar virtually every night. One Sunday night he was totally gubbered, Jimmy Calderwood came in, took a look at him and said "Fuck's sake Noel, take the day off training tomorrow and come back in when you're sober". With this Whelan then ordered a BOTTLE of vodka and disappeared up to his room with it by himself. Not surprised he needed to dry out.

Thought it was The Queens Hotel, remember that fuss when he took two girls back to his room and one of them crashed his car.

A shame he was a pisshead, even during his time with us he showed flashes of brilliance and he clearly had a great natural talent.

After getting home from football yesterday...

Opened a beer...

Put my feet up...

...and watched the France 0 - Scotland 1 game again for the first time this year; in celebration of the one year anniversary of THAT game and THAT goal.

Great times :love: :love: :love:

Hoping ICT can put St Midden to the sword today to keep these good feelings going!

This brings back memories...

Where to start!!

Saturday:

It all began in Cove at 7am with 8 of us catching a bus to the Lithuania game on the saturday. Lots of drink on the way down, followed by a stop off in Cambuslang for a pre-arranged pub lunch before heading to the game. Cue an Orange March walking past the pub!! We almost get arrested for singing Scotland songs at them :swearing:

To take my mind off them I stick 10 on Kris Boyd as first goalscorer (My horoscope in the Sun said luck comes from the initial K). Get to the game, curse Mikolaunas, cheer, go out after, crash out early.

Sunday:

Wake up and proceed to drag others out of bed to get to our pre-arranged "Hampden Experience" tour at 1.30pm. Great day, loads of interesting facts and great photo opportunities. 100% recommend it. There was even the Lithuanian tactics on the whiteboard (which i have a photo of, which'll get uploaded soon). Also had "3-1 to the Champions!" written on the Scotland whiteboard :up:

We then head to the pub for the Scotland rugby game. Stay out till 4amish (I crash out a little earlier), before getting a 5am taxi to the airport to Dusseldorf.

Monday:

Arrive somewhat worse for wear in Germany. Find Ouberhausen where we are staying with a mate and begin drinking again. Go to his show at night (he's in the Blue Man Group), then go out with the rest of the cast and get pissed.

Tuesday:

Wake up hungover again, play pro evo, then head to Paris Orly airport. After lots of searching we find our hostel. We get totally fleeced at a Restaurant whilst getting pretty pissed. Some ridiculous funny stories which I can't divulge upon ensue (Long story short, I think we somehow managed to break up an American's marriage, two girls' friendship and break into a McDonalds).

Wednesday:

Very little sleep, but excitement takes over! Get a silly amount of beer, cider and spirits then head to The Pylon. Absolutely breathtaking sight!! There must've been about 20,000 fans there (at least!!). We set up our camp at the sloped grass areas where the water features are in front of the tower. Craftily using the fountain as a place to keep our beer cold in the 25 degree C heat. Proceed to get royally drunk, play about in the fountain, have tourists take millions of photos of us, get interviewed by Radio 1 and kick footballs about under the tower.

The march from the tower was probably the highlight of the trip for me. 2 hours of walking with 20,000 scots singing and dancing through the streets of Paris was amazing, simply incredible.

Unfortunately the excitement got to me a little too much. Cue getting absolutely hammered to the point of not remembering reaching the stadium!! Youtube videos are being posted by my very kind mates of embarrassing dancing and pissing :down: I also booted a Fanta bottle off a policeman's head apparently (!)

Once in the ground about 8pm, I had an hour to sober up. I can remember the national anthem, i think! The atmosphere was indescribable (sp?). Much louder than any home game i've been too, for 120 minutes solid. Could see very few french where we were sat, and safe to say they weren't heard at all! I remember the goal, and have to rank the celebrations as the most crazy i've ever been a part of. More than Gary Caldwell in Oct, even more than John Rankin against Rangers! The next 30mins were nerve wracking as hell, but all that tension was worth it when we could enjoy a 20-30min sing song after the final whistle! When the french fans left, you could see we were all over the stadium. I'd even agree with some of the estimates of 25,000 Tartan Army footsoldiers there.

My mobile was red hot after the game, can't remember anything i said though!! Lots of partying long into the night, with a horrible hangover the next day.

Spent the whole of the next day sunbathing on some artificial grass put on an area near Notre Dam for a big screen to watch the Rugby World Cup games.

There are so many stories we have that I can't share, but believe me in saying the trip was the greatest thing I have ever done. Reading the paper today, I think some guy put it best with "I have 2 kids, but that day was better than either of their births!".

We all have lots of photos and videos that'll be posted, so will put links up when I have them. Off to search radio 1 for our interview.... was a bit pissed so don't know what I said!

How am I supposed to wind down for work on Monday now??

775186509a6055813664l.jpg

3723364643a5556169130l.jpg

2118711183a5576888333l.jpg

My Uncle said much the same on the phone. Game wasn't on telly at all. But like you says, 3 points is 3 points. Glad it was Boyd to put us back in front! That man has a nack of dragging us in front from behind!

Yeah, when he took the ball for the penalty... I just couldn't watch. Think the rest of the stadium thought the same! Just didn't think it was going to be our day. But Boyd does tend to save the day! I was hoping he was going to get a hat-trick.