aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

I stand corrected if the addition of one player happens to bring out some deeply buried "talent" from Lee Miller but as of this moment having experienced a year of him at Utd and his jittering form at Aberdeen, i remain unmoved.

Didn't get on with Brewster at United which may have had an impact on his form.

Lee Miller has an exceptional first touch and good movement - if he had another couple of yards of pace he would be amazing. It's a real shame that he's not more mobile.

You can think he's shit all you like, but like I say - he's one of our most important players, and if the opportunity arose, I would think that Levein would have him back in the United team.

I

I'm considering going to see Inverurie Locos as I actually think that could be a thousand times more exciting in the long run. Anyone been to lower league games?

I used to go watch Fraserburgh in the Highland League every weekend when I lived there, I hardly missed a game for 3 or 4 years and went to a few away games at Keith, Huntly, Cove etc. Once went to a Scottish cup game in Arbroath, we held them to a 0-0 (they were in Division 1 at the time) though we got humped in the replay. I was also at Allan Park in 2001 when we won the league for the first time in 64 years. That was quite a party. I was at every home game that season, incredibly we got beat 8-0 by Deveronvale at home in the first game, only to recover and win the league. I haven't been in years though.

To be honest it's shite football, somebody at the back humps it up the park and 22 guys chase it. Then somebody humps it back. There's no room for slick passing, it's all crap high ball stuff.

Bellslea_Park.jpg

Blues eye stunning Ronaldo bid - Manchester City - Football - Sport - Manchester Evening News

Oh man Man City are going to provide some great comedy moments over the next year or two. I really hope they put in a an outrageous bid, just to test united's reaction.

Here's another interesting tale - a "blank cheque" for Ruud Van Nistelrooy. It does sound the mean to be a bit outrageous.

Real 'rejected' crazy City bid for Ruud | English Premier League | Football News from TEAMtalk

Also Anti Niemi has retired, which is a shame, I always rated him and I don't think he ever got a chance at a club as big as he deserved. He was brilliant when was at Hearts and Southampton.

Fulham's Niemi hangs up boots | English Premier League | Football News from TEAMtalk

Actually, his goal per game ratio (in the SPL) was marginally better, 1 in every 4.6 games, for Dundee Utd than it is at Aberdeen, 1 in 5.

He's shit regardless. Noel Hunt was a much better striker for us than that donkey. I'm glad we bundled him and that oaf Duff in your general direction for monkey nuts.

How on earth is Hunt-Miller a valid comparison? Anyone would think you don't watch many SPL games. Technically, Miller is a cut above the vast majority in the SPL, see some fo the goals he laid on for others for details. He suffers badly from poor service and poor support, but when he gets either or both of these he'll more often than not make a telling contribution.

Lee Miller was Aberdeen's best player last season, and will be similarly important this term. He's a class act, despite the protestations of TSMSTID's fans.

Love from Christy

they do have an unhealthy obsession with him over at arab-mad

must be a hard one to take signing a player for 200,000 then letting him go for free a season later :D

How on earth is Hunt-Miller a valid comparison? Anyone would think you don't watch many SPL games. Technically, Miller is a cut above the vast majority in the SPL, see some fo the goals he laid on for others for details. He suffers badly from poor service and poor support, but when he gets either or both of these he'll more often than not make a telling contribution.

Because they have both played up front for Dundee Utd with their main responsibility of putting the ball in the back of the net you clown. I could see your point if i was talking about two entirely different positions but, correct me if i'm wrong, they are both strikers.

Anyone would think that you don't understand the concept behind positions in football ;) And don't give me any of your bullshit about Miller being a provider etc, he's a striker as is Hunt.

That said, it's surely every player's job to put the ball in the net?

Not really, while its a bonus if a player whose not a forward does put the ball in the back of the net, it's not their primary concern as a player playing a specific position.

Striker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pretty much the first line sums up the point of a striker/forward/attacker whether they are used as a target man or with shorter more direct ground passing.

Gentlemen, gentlemen, we all know fine well that, as strikers, their primary objective is to pop the round thing into the net. However, Miller has been asked by JC to be more of a provider by winning aerial battles and flicking the ball onto his attacking partner. While his goalscoring record is not the greatest, what he brings to the team is invaluable and you will be hard-pushed to find a Dons fan who disagrees.

Noel Hunt had a good spell at TSMSTID and earned his move away. He is far more of a penalty-box striker than Miller, and has much less donkey-work (so to speak) to do. As such, if I were his manager, I would expect more goals from him than I would from Miller.

Adam's point was correct, they do have different roles. However, Phil's was correct too, in that ultimately, as strikers, they have to score goals.

Glad we cleared that one up.

Love from Christy

Gentlemen, gentlemen, we all know fine well that, as strikers, their primary objective is to pop the round thing into the net. However, Miller has been asked by JC to be more of a provider by winning aerial battles and flicking the ball onto his attacking partner. While his goalscoring record is not the greatest, what he brings to the team is invaluable and you will be hard-pushed to find a Dons fan who disagrees.

Noel Hunt had a good spell at TSMSTID and earned his move away. He is far more of a penalty-box striker than Miller, and has much less donkey-work (so to speak) to do. As such, if I were his manager, I would expect more goals from him than I would from Miller.

Adam's point was correct, they do have different roles. However, Phil's was correct too, in that ultimately, as strikers, they have to score goals.

Glad we cleared that one up.

Love from Christy

Indeed, if Miller works for you guys you're more than welcome to him :)

Not really, while its a bonus if a player whose not a forward does put the ball in the back of the net, it's not their primary concern as a player playing a specific position.

Striker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pretty much the first line sums up the point of a striker/forward/attacker whether they are used as a target man or with shorter more direct ground passing.

Now, now, don't be naive.

You know fine there are players who are 'strikers' whose job might be in a more creative role than those a la Kris Boyd whose job it is to finish anything in and around the six-yard box.

Read the article fully. Providing is a secondary role for strikers.

If Wikipedia says it it must be true. Look every manager wants something different out of his players, some want goal mouth poachers a la Ally McCoist, some want grafters like Kenny Miller, they are both strikers, but different kinds of strikers. Let's not get into a pissy argument over something so trivial.

Read the article fully. Providing is a secondary role for strikers.

:moody:

Strikers that can also play as wingers? Centre halves that can also play as strikers? Wikipedia fails to cover these obvious freaks.

It also says that the best way to cook a steak is in a pan but sometimes I use a George Foreman grill. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?! ;)