aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Also saw Watchmen. I'm not sure what to make of that, it wasn't bad and again probably could have been better. I am not familiar with the comic books, I take it that's what it was based on, so it might have been more coherent to someone familiar with the characters already. I think it could have been even darker but good to see a little more Grim Fairy Tale in a comic book movie.

I definitely feel I benefited from reading Watchmen before watching the film. It's extremely faithful to the comic book, except for some obvious changes and omissions, and it's a lot to take in.

I definitely feel I benefited from reading Watchmen before watching the film. It's extremely faithful to the comic book, except for some obvious changes and omissions, and it's a lot to take in.

Yeah, agree there is a lot going on. It's quite a long movie and watched it when I was tired so it definitely needs another viewing at some point. The Characters are definitely interesting, none are perfect, for "heroes" some are actually brutally the opposite.

The Man Who Cried - It's hard to imagine how a film with such an amazing cast could be anything other than fantastic - the four lead roles are played by Johnny Depp, Christina Ricci, John Turturro and Cate Blanchett, and they all play their roles admirably (although Depp is given very little to do). Ricci in particular really stands out - I wish she would get back to doing these sorts of roles - and the film itself looks beautiful. The problem it has unfortunately is that it's just so boring. I was actually watching the seconds tick away on the readout of the DVD player rather than watch the film in places cos it was just staggeringly dull.

The story is that Ricci is a young Jewish girl who was torn from her family in Russia at age 5 and sent to live in England. After going through school in England she relocates to Paris to become a singer, where she meets a fellow singer (Blanchett) a pompous opera singer (Turturro) and a kindly gypsy stage-hand (Depp). She then has to flee Paris as the Nazis invade France but is torn between staying with her lover and being killed (guess which one is her lover), or fleeing without him.

As well as being quite dull, a lot of the time they don't really explain what is happening on the screen, there isn't much dialogue and you are just expected to watch it and know what is happening. As someone with very little knowledge of wartime Paris(!) lot of the time I didn't really know what was going on, I mean I got the gist of it, but when there are Nazis on the screen I want them all goose-stepping and wearing swastikas so I know that they are Nazis, otherwise they just look like guys in black jackets.

Good cast but overall a really dull film.

I'm going to buy Looking For Eric this weekend. Then I'm going to watch Looking For Eric.

I'm glad of the inclusion of a player I like alot, and could only be topped by a film called Looking For Paolo Di Canio. I'm just glad it's not called Looking For Jamie Carragher.

Looking for Rachid Belabed.

The Dirty Three

A documentary about the Australian three piece that I finally tracked down via E Bay. Features a history of the band with interviews with Nick Cave, Cat Power, Will Oldham, Bobby Gillespie among others. As a huge fan of the band I really liked it and it turns out that I share a favourite album by them with Will Oldham, 'Whatever You Love, You Are'.. Comes in a 2 DVD set with a gig filmed in Tokyo, haven't watched that yet though. 9/10.

Deadgirl

2 high school 'geeks' (who are suspiciously good looking) go to an abandoned mental hospital to drink beers and generally loiter about and find a naked woman chained to a mattress in the basement. One of them decides this is the best shagging opportunity they are going to get while the other isn't sure. It isn't giving much away given the title to mention that she is some kind of zombie who can't be killed, although the reason for her being there and in that condition is never explained. Passed 95 minutes but not the greatest i've ever seen. 5/10

Watched Doghouse last night, really enjoyed it. Some really funny bits in it too, although Danny Dyer did get on me tits a wee bit, even though he came out with the best quote of the movie, "What kinda virus do only women get"? Danny Dyer - "Bird Flu"!!

Also though Stephen Graham was good in it especially as he wasn't playing the hard man as in most of his films.

The Dirty Three

A documentary about the Australian three piece that I finally tracked down via E Bay. Features a history of the band with interviews with Nick Cave, Cat Power, Will Oldham, Bobby Gillespie among others. As a huge fan of the band I really liked it and it turns out that I share a favourite album by them with Will Oldham, 'Whatever You Love, You Are'.. Comes in a 2 DVD set with a gig filmed in Tokyo, haven't watched that yet though. 9/10.

This is the sort of thing that I would love.

I saw Up on Friday night, and even though I am essentially dead on the inside, it stirred long forgotten emotions inside me. The first 20 or so minutes are pretty intense for a Disney film. It had a couple of of moments which made me laugh out loud, most notably the excellent comic timing of the giant bird's "Bugawks!" The little fat kid deserved a dry slap, however.

Still posting away on my film review 'site. I'd suggest that the hardcore posters in this thread should look into setting up their own review page because you get some amount of traffic on blogs like Wordpress and Blogspot. That one's been up since mid July and I've had just shy of 1,000 non-spam views already.

Recent film highlights have been: Zombieland, Cloverfield, Away We Go, Diary of the Dead and The Nines, all reviewed on the link above.

Still posting away on my film review 'site. I'd suggest that the hardcore posters in this thread should look into setting up their own review page because you get some amount of traffic on blogs like Wordpress and Blogspot. That one's been up since mid July and I've had just shy of 1,000 non-spam views already.

Recent film highlights have been: Zombieland, Cloverfield, Away We Go, Diary of the Dead and The Nines, all reviewed on the link above.

Your review of Bullit saddens me and Zombieland deserves a higher score, but I agree about Cloverfield and Diary of the Dead.

:up:

I had to give up reading since so many of your reviews made me sad....

I saw Up on Friday night, and even though I am essentially dead on the inside, it stirred long forgotten emotions inside me. The first 20 or so minutes are pretty intense for a Disney film. It had a couple of of moments which made me laugh out loud, most notably the excellent comic timing of the giant bird's "Bugawks!" The little fat kid deserved a dry slap, however.

I saw it with my kids yesterday afternoon.....

Have to say that I mostly agree with you, (although, I don't consider myself dead inside!) quite an emotional first half !!!! (old folks were young once, and had dreams of adventures, just like all of us!)

Some good laughs to be had in certain places....

On the whole.... a really good film.....GO SEE IT, and take your kids, they'll love it !

I really really want to go see Up. Might have to drag Ross on Saturday. :D Is it worth seeing it in 3D? We had an Animation lecture today and the guy made a few fair points (it's only really visual simulation, not everything else, which is usually what makes 3D shit so cool). But if it comes highly recommended by someone who's seen both I might consider it.

My film society watched The Breakfast Club on Wednesday. Goodtimes. I also bought The Big Lebowski, Addams Family Values, The Departed and Empire Records on DVD today, so they'll probably get a watch soon too.

Watched Infestation last night, a low budget creature horror'ish movie. Was not bad actually, reasonable special effects with some decent comedy moments. Also the guy who plays the Devil in Reaper is in it and does a decent turn. Wasn't expecting much from the film but at 2.99 was willing to give it a go and it was probably worth a fiver!

A decent solid 7.5/10 from me here though the ending was a bit predictable and weak though the battery moment was slightly amusing.

Watched Infestation last night, a low budget creature horror'ish movie. Was not bad actually, reasonable special effects with some decent comedy moments. Also the guy who plays the Devil in Reaper is in it and does a decent turn. Wasn't expecting much from the film but at 2.99 was willing to give it a go and it was probably worth a fiver!

A decent solid 7.5/10 from me here though the ending was a bit predictable and weak though the battery moment was slightly amusing.

I got some amusment out of it too, i had to rewind the ending ha ha great rubber beasties tho!

Your review of Bullit saddens me and Zombieland deserves a higher score, but I agree about Cloverfield and Diary of the Dead.

Agree entirely with his review of Bullitt, except 6/10 was too generous. Apart from the car chase and the soundtrack, it's a pile of shite. Very boring. As San Francisco cop thrillers go, Dirty Harry dumps all over it from a great height.

Watched Blue in the Face last night. It's all centred around a cigar store in Brooklyn and stars Harvey Kietel. It's sort of a companion for another film called Smoke which is along the same idea. Have to say Smoke was brilliant but quite serious at times. Still a beautiful story though. As far as Blue in the Face goes. It's a much more fun film using a lot of the same actors. Supposedly they finished the filming of Smoke ahead of time and under budget so decide to make Blue in the Face with the time and money left over. Both films are great especially Blue in the Face which has some great cameos from the likes of Lou Reed, Roseanne, Madonna and Michael J Fox.

Watched Blue in the Face last night. It's all centred around a cigar store in Brooklyn and stars Harvey Kietel. It's sort of a companion for another film called Smoke which is along the same idea. Have to say Smoke was brilliant but quite serious at times. Still a beautiful story though. As far as Blue in the Face goes. It's a much more fun film using a lot of the same actors. Supposedly they finished the filming of Smoke ahead of time and under budget so decide to make Blue in the Face with the time and money left over. Both films are great especially Blue in the Face which has some great cameos from the likes of Lou Reed, Roseanne, Madonna and Michael J Fox.

I watched this the other night, the blue one. Really liked it. Had a Jim Jarmusch vibe. He pops up for a cameo too. Got it on a double sided dvd with Smoke but I can only get the one side to play. Films about Brooklyn tend to be pretty awesome for some reason.

Saw it the other night as well. Have to admit I was expecting a Toy Story-esque light hearted movie so the first 20 mins caught me a bit off guard and left me a bit teary eyed!

Great little movie, definetly recommended.

The Damned United A based-on-truth story about Brian Clough's 44-day reign at Leeds United in 1974. Brilliantly acted, if factually incorrect. Michael Sheen is shaping up to be one of the best actors around. The archive footage is brilliant though, with some of the worst challenges and examples of "afters" you'll ever see!

Up - Saw this at the Grosvener in Glasgow the other week. Like the other poster said, a really moving first 20 minutes. Being honest though, the story kinda fizzled out for me after that, but there were some really funny moments. Needless to say, my daughter enjoyed it.

Coraline - Bought this on DVD for my daughter and I to watch last week when it was pissing down. Was pleasantly surprised to find that it came with 3D version and 4 sets of specs! The movie was superb, the best kids fillum I've seen since Monsters Inc.