aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

I spent Monday with an extreme hangover watching 'Alien' and 'Aliens' director's cuts, both still amazing....and last night I watched the longer version of 'Alien 3' that I don't think counts as a director's cut because Fincher disowned it. Ach, I like the film. Too many different regional English accents in one place to be plausible possibly but it's not that bad....may try Alien resurerction tonight to bag the full set.

Otherwise I have been revisiting Season 1 of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm', also great and I'm going to get through the other 6 seasons soon..

I saw Alien 3 in the cinema when it came out and I've always liked it.

New series of CYE imminent!

His Afrikaans accent is quite funny too, but he was just such the stereotypical yes man company fucker, married to the boss' daughter and all, that I yearned for him to experience something nasty.

Exactly. And then, at the end with the whole metal flower thing, I felt like absolute shit for the poor bastid.

That's why District 9 is so awesome.

Went to see 500 Days of Summer and absolutely loved it. Maybe not as much for the film itself but for all the references if you know what i mean. Film's still very clever and quite unique though.

I went to see 500 Days of Summer last night, and I couldn't disagree more - although it had good perfomances from the lead actors, I found it a blue-print carbon-copy of 'quirky-indie' romance. It totally ripped off Wes Anderson and Amelie, there was nothing unique about it at all, it was just as formulaic as your bog standard rom-com, just a different formula. It could've done with a few explosions or something... ;)

I also watched Project A-Ko last night, which is one of the first wave of animes to be released in the UK by Manga Video in the 1990s. Set around the rivalry between super-powered school-girls A-Ko and B-Ko for the attention of C-Ko (who is the most annoying character in anything, ever - if Jar-Jar makes the Ewoks look like fucking Shaft, C-Ko makes Jar-Jar look like Mace Windu). A-Ko and B-ko have a scrap and wreck their school, then transexual aliens invade, under the impression that C-Ko is their long lost Princess. The Captain of their ship is a raging alcoholic. Violence and destruction ensues. Good wholesome family fun - violent, weird and funny. All things I like.

I just saw Let The Right One In, which is a Swedish film about a child vampire. Nice. It's visually stunning with plenty of artistic, lingering shots of snow. It's very quiet for large chunks and pretty slow-moving, so if that's not your bag then best steer clear. The young actors were immense, and although it was more than a little bizarre, I enjoyed it a lot.

Not quite as brilliant as my brother had me believe, but definetely worth watching.

Adventureland. Coming of age comedy, from the director of Suberbad but not a lot gentler, and not as funny. 3/5.

I watched this too and thought it was ok, I think i just liked the whole 80's feel to it, but not very much happens, reminds me of Juno a little where nothing quite happens

17Again I actually quite liked this film, didn't think I would, but like a back to front 'Big'. I did find myself laughing quite a bit too.....nae bad

Year One some funnies through it, but over all quite boring considering the cast....avoid unless really bored

The Boat that Rocked quite amusing, but not as funny as I thought the trailer made it out to be. Good story (is it based on truth?). Great sound track!...worth a watch, wouldn't rush to tho

Across the Hall really enjoyed this film, didn't read anything aboutwhat it was about and found it kept me on the edge of my seat. One of those films which jumps back n fore but crops up a few twists...highly enjoyed!

Do The Right Thing Absolutely brilliant. Great performances from pretty much all involved, Ossie Davis, Danny Aiello, Ruby Dee (has she always been old or is she just exceptionally old now?), John Turturro, and Spike Lees pretty damn good too.

Just recently bought a Spike Lee collection with the only one of his I'd seen previously being Inside Man. Do The RIght Thing is a must. Keeps your attention start to finish. And has what is now, one of my favourite scenes in a movie.

Spike Lee is a bit hit and miss for me but I remember liking Clockers a lot. I'll have to check out Do The Right Thing as it's been so long since I last watched it.

Sucka Free City was pretty terrible though. I watched it with a girl from the Bay Area as well, and she was laughing at how ludicrous the idea of a white family moving into that neighbourhood was.

Odd how Spike Lee is getting discussed, I was gonna chip in with Summer of Sam which I watched the other night. Adrien Brody is excellent as an italian, rent boy punk (punk as in sex pistols not like 60s slang for ne'er-do-well). Quite a role to pull off. Typical Spike Lee, New York in the summer atmosphere to it and its quite a long film but the time flies by. thooms up.

It dawned on me when watching that I've pretty much seen all his films. Inside man is awaiting a watch but all his other major releases i've seen. I think he's an absolute cunt, a plain old dislikeable person. All that bullshit about Tarantino and the N-word and then having a pop at Clint Eastwood is just a jealous little man trying to grab some limelight. But... he knows how to use a camera. His films are so well paced and have a certain feel to them that nobody else could reproduce. I enjoy every single one no matter how racist they get or how much poetic license he affords himself with some of his storylines (the three-way happy family at the end of She Hate Me... aye right!) .

Angels & Demons

watched it last night, thought it was pretty good, doesn't strictly follow the book but the jist of the info comes through in the film....

recommended !

8/10

Ooh I have this to watch not got round to it yet!

Watched Infestation last night, if you like really over the top B movies you'll love this! Big rubber hybrid bugs what more could you ask for! haha

i watched a quite charming film called 'is anybody there' with michael caine, set in an old peoples home in the 80's. not one for thrills, it was a gentle drama but a good script and some fine acting. lots of household name brit actors in the supporting cast such as david morrissey, anne marie duff, leslie phillips, peter vaughan and sylvia syms. oh and nice to see mavis from corrie getting a bit of work in her old age!

A friend dragged me to see Fish Tank yesterday. It was alright, but felt a bit like a sixth year school project and there was a large amount of over-acting at times. Glad it didn't focus too much on the main character's love of dancing too much either. I hate those aspirational dance-flicks.

Didn't seem to be any over-acting that I saw, but then I don't really have much experience of the Essex ghetto :D Yeah, it's kinda and antidote to Billy Elliott in many ways.

Last film I watched was Bedazzled last night...the Pete n Dud original, not that pile of crap with Liz Hurley and Brendan 'where do I sign?' Fraser.

I watched Grease 2 last night, for about the 100th time. And I don't care what anybody says, it's fucking great. It's brilliantly acted, brilliantly choreographed, it's darker than the original, the characters have more depth and the music is every bit as good. As a stand-alone musical, Grease 2 is up there with the very best, unfortunately it suffers simply from being the younger offspring of Grease, one of the best loved movies of all time.

I implore you to watch it again with an open mind, because it is fucking ace.

And yes, I am being serious.

"I want a co-oo-oo-oo-l rider! A co-oo-oo-oo-l rider!"

I watched Grease 2 last night, for about the 100th time. And I don't care what anybody says, it's fucking great. It's brilliantly acted, brilliantly choreographed, it's darker than the original, the characters have more depth and the music is every bit as good. As a stand-alone musical, Grease 2 is up there with the very best, unfortunately it suffers simply from being the younger offspring of Grease, one of the best loved movies of all time.

I implore you to watch it again with an open mind, because it is fucking ace.

And yes, I am being serious.

"I want a co-oo-oo-oo-l rider! A co-oo-oo-oo-l rider!"

When did your vagina appear?

When did your vagina appear?

It's been there since my breasts started growing.

Last night's viewing:

Mr Robinson Crusoe - a 1932 flick with Douglas Fairbanks. A rich city banker takes up a bet with his mates that he can live on a desert island by himself for 3 months with no supplies or anything. Of course he soon gets caught up with the local "savages". The film itself was actually quite good, but it didn't appear to have been restored at all, the picture was really blurry and jerky and it was really difficult to make out, plus there was a "hum" over the sound. This made t virtually unwatchable, so it's hard to rate it fairly. But I enjoyed it.

National Lampoon's Vacation. The first one, where they're going to Wally World. Fucking classic. Packed with laugh out loud moments, and Chevy Chase's comedy timing is just absolutely spot on. Clark Griswold dancing with a sandwich: going apeshit and punching the moose in the face: robbing the desk clerk near the grand canyon: getting lost in the desert: just truly brilliant. One of my favourite films.

National Lampoon's Vacation. The first one, where they're going to Wally World. Fucking classic. Packed with laugh out loud moments, and Chevy Chase's comedy timing is just absolutely spot on. Clark Griswold dancing with a sandwich: going apeshit and punching the moose in the face: robbing the desk clerk near the grand canyon: getting lost in the desert: just truly brilliant. One of my favourite films.

It is brilliant. I even listened to the commentary on the DVD. Did you know that the guy eating watermelon at teh scabby campsite is Bill Murray's brother?

EDIT: In fact, just looked him up and he's the boss in Christmas vacation as well. Plus I recognise him from Wayne's World. :up:

Brian Doyle-Murray - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I saw Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (3D).

It was a half decent kids film. Bizarre story but I reckon if it wasn't in 3D it would've been quite poor. That sweetcorn falling... it was quite a scary moment!!

Just found out the other day that the music for it was done by the dude that used to be in Devo. Has done the music for all the Wes Anderson films as well.