aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Went to see District 9 tonight. Utterly fucking brilliant. Original, imaginative, interesting, thrilling, just utterly absorbing. Has monumentally pipped Inglourious Basterds as the best movie of the year. By a long, long way. Just haven't seen many, if any movies quite like it before. Just utterly fucking brilliant, Considering having heard most scenes the script was improvised it was just awesome.

Top Notch.

100% agreed, it's an instant classic.

The guy who plays Vickers, if there's any justice in the world, should get an Oscar. Hadn't realised it was improvised (obviously the bits with Christopher the Prawn aren't improv though?!), the phonecalls to his (Vickers') wife are just heart-breaking. The mothership over the city is just so fucking creepy. The CGI is amazing, the alien weapons brutal as fuck. Just pure fucking awesomeness in 1 hour and a half

100% agreed, it's an instant classic.

The guy who plays Vickers, if there's any justice in the world, should get an Oscar. Hadn't realised it was improvised (obviously the bits with Christopher the Prawn aren't improv though?!), the phonecalls to his (Vickers') wife are just heart-breaking. The mothership over the city is just so fucking creepy. The CGI is amazing, the alien weapons brutal as fuck. Just pure fucking awesomeness in 1 hour and a half

Was just reading about it again, and aparrently, all scenes with Wickus, Sharlto Copely ad-libbed all his lines. So aye, his half of the scenes with Christopher Johnson were improvised an'aw. The man isn't even an established actor, this is his first actual gig. He's a fucking legend.

thats exactly how i felt about the dark knight - thought batman begins was much better.

watched 'culloden' on BBC4 last night - superb. one of the earliest docudrama's (if not the first), made in 1964, telling the story of the battle of culloden in a modern day news reporting style. totally absorbing and fascinating and extremely well put together.

SNAP I thought Batman Begins had a much more effective stucture to it . Imean 2/3 through Dark K was all over the place. Did they really need all that boat business. I struggled to stay with it nearer the end. To be fair it was by then 11 and i had been working that day. Id give it a very strong 8/10, but film of the year ,nope.

Planes Trains and Automobiles was on last night. I think now im older i appreciated it more. I think John Candy would be so infuential in present Hollywood. He'd be doing some serious stuff being in his twilight years no doubt. Going to see District 9 the morn. Good times.

Uncle Buck was on last night too, don't know how many times I've watched it. Quality.

Have you seen Shark Attack 3: Megalodon? You should. It's much the same but even dumber. John Barrowman stars and does his usual ridiculous OTT-shouty thing, and the special effects are absolutely fucking atrocious. They start a subplot with a sinister tribal-looking person towards the beginning of the film, and then completely forget about it later on. Oh, and it's got the worst dialogue ever, too.

Which add-up to make it one of the most enjoyable films I've ever seen :p.

Check the 10-minute version on Youtube...

Of course you also have the (in)famous line:

Shark Attack 3 - The infamous line that got left in after the final cut - on BoreMe

I saw Outlander at the weekend which was terrible but I stayed with it because it had John Hurt in, and I was bored. I also watched Reservoir Dogs properly for the first time. It was okay but seemed a little bit spartan, in retrospect, with some overly long scenes. I suppose it's because Pulp Fiction is so much richer, in comparison.

X-Men - Haven't watched it since it came out and didn't really concentrate properly on it the first time round. As it turns out I really enjoyed it, I reckon one of my favourite superhero movies of recent times. Lots of good action, and good characters too. Patrick Stewart is excellent, as ever. Hugh Jackman is teh nutz! Halle Berry is so wooden you almost forget she is there.

X-Men 2 - Seen the start of this once but have never seen the whole thing. I did like it but it didn't have the same spark as the first one. William Stryker was a bit of rubbish baddie compared to Magento in the first one and there were some annoying plot holes. Was good to see Ice-Man, Rogue and Pyro getting ready to make the step up to join the proper X-Men team. I like how they are developing the characters of the younger ones from film to film, though Pyro is a bit 2-dimensional. Good, but not as good as the original. Halle Berry is still so wooden you almost forget she is there.

Robocop 2 - Pretty poor sequel to a classic film. Gone was the run-down dystopian look of the original, along with the acerbic wit and the social commentary, replaced by stupid neon lit sets, cartoony characters and a 9 year old as the main baddie. I always think when writers put in a kid like that it's because they have generally run out of ideas (hello Blues Brothers 2000). Putting a kid in is a trick to attract kids to watch the film - however this is an ultra-violent 18 rated film that kids can't watch. So why have the annoying little fucker in the first place? There were massive inconsistincies between the first film and the second film, there were plot threads which were started and then never mentioned again. And in addition to all that it was pretty boring up until the last half hour or so.

X-Men 2 - Seen the start of this once but have never seen the whole thing. I did like it but it didn't have the same spark as the first one. William Stryker was a bit of rubbish baddie compared to Magento in the first one and there were some annoying plot holes. Was good to see Ice-Man, Rogue and Pyro getting ready to make the step up to join the proper X-Men team. I like how they are developing the characters of the younger ones from film to film, though Pyro is a bit 2-dimensional. Good, but not as good as the original. Halle Berry is still so wooden you almost forget she is there.

X-Men 2 is probably my favourite comic-book movie, just for Wolvie's berzerker rage in the mansion. I think it's awesome, one of the few licensed comic book movies that really captures the spirit of the book (admittedly, there are a few more now that Marvel have brought their movies in-house), it's just awesome.

I also watched Reservoir Dogs properly for the first time. It was okay but seemed a little bit spartan, in retrospect, with some overly long scenes. I suppose it's because Pulp Fiction is so much richer, in comparison.

That might've been 300 you were watching... :up:

But seriously, Reservoir Dogs is an ace film. Simple sets and shots, but an awesome back story. I saw it before I saw Pulp Fiction (my joint-first all-time favourite film) and it made me an instant Tarantino fan.

What what his superpower, turning folk shades of purply-pink? :up:

I recently watched: -

Bronson - Tom Hardy did a very good job in the lead but I just found it very repetitive. I actually dozed off at one point and it was as if it had been paused and restarted just as I fell asleep and woke up. 5/10.

Anvil:The Story of Anvil - Really enjoyed but it made me feel so sad at how deluded they were that success was going to beckon in any way, shape or form. I do want to hear a complete version of the song 'Thumb Hang' though. 8/10.

Went to see 500 Days of Summer and absolutely loved it. Maybe not as much for the film itself but for all the references if you know what i mean. Film's still very clever and quite unique though.

Although, i've read 3 or 4 reviews and talked to a couple of folk who have seen it and no-one has mentioned that it's basically Essays on Love by Alain de Botton. I cottoned on to this early on but never really applied my theory until Tom is reading Architecture of Happiness on the train, and from then on noticed 2 or three examples/scenes that are almost lifted from the book.

I'm just surprised no-one has said this yet that's all. Brilliant book though and great film!

That might've been 300 you were watching... :up:

But seriously, Reservoir Dogs is an ace film. Simple sets and shots, but an awesome back story. I saw it before I saw Pulp Fiction (my joint-first all-time favourite film) and it made me an instant Tarantino fan.

I got the bus into town after school on the day Reservoir Dogs came out on the back of a rave review in Empire to see it at a tea time showing.

There were three of us in the cinema.

This was pre-internet, so not much opportunity for hype in those days. Saw True Romance in a similarly spartan showing not long after.

Pulp Fiction was packed out though when it came out, bandwagon well and truly jumped on by that point.

Yes, I am cool.