aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

OK, last night I watched a film called Miss March. I guess this comes under guilty pleasures, but for some reason both Mrs Bigsby and I enjoy switching our brains off on a Friday evening and watching a brainless, US "sex comedy", you know, American Pie, Road Trip, Euro Trip, Sex Drive etc.

Miss March is about a dude who wakes up from four years in a coma to discover that his girlfriend has become a Playboy bunny. Therefore he and his outrageous Stiffler-eque mate go on (you guessed it) a road trip to the Playboy mansion.

Predictable and puerile, but an enjoyable enough way to pass 90 mins for me. I was a bit shocked when I looked it up on wiki, seems it's a contender for worst film of the year, I didn't think it was that bad.

Gridiron Gang - Starring The Rock and Xzibit I wasn't expecting much to be honest, but was actually a very good film. Based on a true story about a juvenile detention centre in the US which begins a program in training the kids in American Football in order to turn their lives around. During the credits you get to see bits of the actual documentary it was based on which was pretty cool.

Going on this, The Rock can actually act.

Hans Landa made me want to exit the cinema. Creepy bastard.

He stole the show didn't he?

You've got to love the scene with Churchill and that english intellectual gentleman (and Mike Myers!).

The whole film was the most brilliant stereotype I have ever seen. The Yanks, Brits, French and Germans were basically cartoons, and at times it was like I was watching a TF2 "Meet the Soldier" video.

Meet the STIGLITZ!

So, I watched In The Loop last night. I thought it would be interesting to watch two comedies on succesive nights, one that gets 4% on Rotten Tomatoes and one that gets 94%.

Lots of laugh out loud moments in In The Loop, mainly from Peter Capaldi's character. In fact, the rest of the film's a bit thin really. It was good, but I couldn't help wondering what the film would be like without him there. I can't remember the last time I saw a film that was so dependent on one central performance, although there were some othere decent turns, notably from Sledge Hammer, Tony Soprano and Tommy Saxondale.

So, yeah, In The Loop was a better film than Miss March, but I don't think the gap was as big as the Rotten Tomatoes score suggests. I just get the feeling that reviewers sometimes say "Oh, this is the sort of film I should be praising/slagging off" without forming their own opinion.

Gremlins....

I'm confused though...If you cant feed them after midnight when can you feed them.....As if you feed them at 8am thats after midnight or if you feed them at 10pm thats after midnight lol.....Am i being a dumb plum here?.

Nope I think you have a point.

Gremlins.

They are certainly the most poorly written of the mythical creatures.

So, I watched In The Loop last night. I thought it would be interesting to watch two comedies on succesive nights, one that gets 4% on Rotten Tomatoes and one that gets 94%.

Lots of laugh out loud moments in In The Loop, mainly from Peter Capaldi's character. In fact, the rest of the film's a bit thin really. It was good, but I couldn't help wondering what the film would be like without him there. I can't remember the last time I saw a film that was so dependent on one central performance, although there were some othere decent turns, notably from Sledge Hammer, Tony Soprano and Tommy Saxondale.

So, yeah, In The Loop was a better film than Miss March, but I don't think the gap was as big as the Rotten Tomatoes score suggests. I just get the feeling that reviewers sometimes say "Oh, this is the sort of film I should be praising/slagging off" without forming their own opinion.

I really didn't find the film to be overly dependent on Capaldi. Yes, he was the main focal character and as such was louder, had the best lines etc but I thought Chris Addison, Alan Partridge, My girl and virtually everyone except the minister guy put in class performances. Firstly, the monotonous, dreary office setting requires great acting in order to keep your attention for the entire duration and secondly, a lot of Capaldi's lines would have had little impact without the reactions of the other characters whose best bits are entirely more subtle. Also, the film has been getting slated by a lot of the high brow press in the states. here's one review.

I don't get the point they make about it being claustrophobic. The fly on the wall thing worked well imo. I think yank audiences just aren't used to seeing on screen offices that aren't open plan, glass clad modern marvels with wide, steadycam friendly corridors.

Anyway, opinions differ, I just absolutely love this film.

I've been recording the Film Noir season on BBC4 this weekend. I've watched "Farewell, My Lovely" (the "Murder, My Sweet" version) so far and have "The Lady From Shanghai", "The Big Combo", "Build My Gallows High" and "Stranger on the Third Floor" to watch :)

I also went to see "The Time Traveler's Wife" this week which i enjoyed thoroughly. It was pretty sad too.

Gremlins....

I'm confused though...If you cant feed them after midnight when can you feed them.....As if you feed them at 8am thats after midnight or if you feed them at 10pm thats after midnight lol.....Am i being a dumb plum here?.

IIRC they take the piss out of this in Gremlins 2.

I really didn't find the film to be overly dependent on Capaldi. Yes, he was the main focal character and as such was louder, had the best lines etc but I thought Chris Addison, Alan Partridge, My girl and virtually everyone except the minister guy put in class performances. Firstly, the monotonous, dreary office setting requires great acting in order to keep your attention for the entire duration and secondly, a lot of Capaldi's lines would have had little impact without the reactions of the other characters whose best bits are entirely more subtle. Also, the film has been getting slated by a lot of the high brow press in the states. here's one review.

I don't get the point they make about it being claustrophobic. The fly on the wall thing worked well imo. I think yank audiences just aren't used to seeing on screen offices that aren't open plan, glass clad modern marvels with wide, steadycam friendly corridors.

Anyway, opinions differ, I just absolutely love this film.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it, but I was just making a point about reviews and reviewers, was interesting to compare and contrast with an unsahamed turkey the night before.

Cool stuff, details please, what was the ocassion, who/how many there, cost etc?

It was for a mate's 30th. Think there was about 20 people there and it cost around 130 to get screen 3 for 2 hours. You just take the DVD of the film you want to watch along and they show it on the screen. It's a pretty cool idea for a special occasion if the person in question has a stand out favourite film.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it, but I was just making a point about reviews and reviewers, was interesting to compare and contrast with an unsahamed turkey the night before.

I get you. Ianucci should make more films.

watched Along Came Polly the other night. Formulaic rom com with some ace bits of schtick from Ben Stiller and P. Seymour Hoffman. Made me chuckle and wasn't a bad way to spend an hour and a half.