aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Finally getting round to watching A Shot at Glory - surely the footage of McCoist as a 'legendary Celtic striker' scoring goals (actually edited footage of McCoist scoring for Rangers but with the blue strips turned green) must've caused a bit of outrage amongst Rangers fans?!

I'm sure it would have, if anybody had seen it.

Actually a surprisingly enjoyable film, the Mark Knopfler soundtrack is the icing on the cake. :up:

What's this about an Alan Partridge film? First i'm hearing about it. Gonna be set in the states apparently. I have every faith in the fact that it's gonna be shit as these type of things almost always are (league of Gentleman film anyone?)... but i'm still excited. He'll cut out the pedestrainisation-of-Norwich-town-centre references in order to appeal to a wider audience thus losing all the charm of the original series'. Hope I'm wrong!!

I'm sure it would have, if anybody had seen it.

Actually a surprisingly enjoyable film, the Mark Knopfler soundtrack is the icing on the cake. :up:

Aye - it's real guilty pleasure!

The big downside of "A Shot At Glory" is that Robert Duvall, one of Hollywood's finest and most durable actors, became an avid Rangers fan after making the movie.

Some of it was shot at The Theatre of Pies and Ian McCall has a great cameo, so it's not all bad.

Recent viewing.

Daredevil - Better than I remember

Pretty In Pink - Also better than I remember, but terrifyingly 80s.

St Elmo's Fire - fucking love it. An unofficial sequel to the Breakfast Club.

Mannequin - Poo.

Paranormal Activity - Scary. Brilliant suspense makes it appear scarier than it actually is.

I have watched three Andrew McCarthy films this week. How often can you say that? I might watch Weekend At Bernies tonight and go for the grand slam.

andrewmccarthy.jpg

went to Vue in Stirling on Sunday afternoon, think 7 folk there in total, that's more like it. total contrast to the Cineworld Union Square shitey kid audience (the obvious advantage being the day/time and film choice - not that i've ever been there before or in stirling for a new movie on a friday night - anyway i digress).

law abiding citizen, quite enjoyable, butler's character a little ott in some actions but i was never rooting for foxx!

Watched Whatever Works last night. It was OK. I couldn't really recommend it, unless you are a big Woody Allen fan. I am, but this one really felt like Woody by numbers. Some decent performances from Larry David, Patricia Clarkson and Evan Rachel Wood, who I would imagine will be in with a shout for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar.

Overall 2/5.

Aye - it's real guilty pleasure!

The big downside of "A Shot At Glory" is that Robert Duvall, one of Hollywood's finest and most durable actors, became an avid Rangers fan after making the movie.

Some of it was shot at The Theatre of Pies and Ian McCall has a great cameo, so it's not all bad.

You gie meee the heart, Ill gie you the lungs.....and tigither well wirk on the heeds

Probably the most rousing motivational speech in cinematic history.

Recently viewed movies....

Mirrors (Keifer Sutherland) - Not bad ***

Last Chance Harvey (Dustin Hoffman/Emma Thomson) - Decent by-the-numbers rom-com ***

The Orphan - Standard domestic horror fare, but greatly enhanced by the unsettling performance of Isabelle Fuhrman as the titular parentless one ***1/2

I've watched heaps lately, in fact I've probably forgotten heaps but anyway -

All Tomorrows Parties

Documentary chronicling 10 years of the alternative festival held in a holiday camp. I've not yet made it to one for various reasons, mostly because I'm rubbish and always forget about it and by the time I remember there are only chalets for 20 people left. The film is pretty good, flits between snippets of live performances from Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Grinderman, Gossip, Akron Family, Lightning Bolt, Daniel Johnston, Grizzly Bear, Les Savy Fav and Shellac among others and life around the site. Kind of wished some of the live footage was more complete but the DVD has some full performances in the extras and I believe if you run it in your PC it acts as a key to unlock further footage on a webite, haven't tackled that yet though. Although I still fancy going at some point I was left wondering whether lots of pissed up indie types trying to out-cool each other would be any better than pissed up neds at TiTPprobably a bit easier, less chance of getting bottled or somesuch. 9/10.

Pretty in Pink

Bought for 3 in Asda in a fit of 80's nostalgia. Watchable, but hasn't aged as well as 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off', 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles' or 'The Breakfast Club' have in the John Hughes department. Still not sure how Harry Dean Stanton ended up in this, must have needed some booze money. James Spader has always been a slimy looking git. 5/10.

You Don't Mess With the Zohan

Another 3 job from Asda, saw the trailer a while back and looked reasonably amusing. I suppose enjoyment of this depends on tolerance for Adam Sandler - I don't mind him too much so it started off being ridiculous but a few laughs, by the end the jokes were wearing thin however. 5/10.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

I've never read the books and can't see me doing so, but my better half reads them and so I've watched the films with her. The earlier ones were child-friendly but watchable, they then veered into darker territory with director changes and were better for it, this one I just found dull. Nowt happens. At all. Even my missus thought it was boring half way through. It doesn't help that without rewatching the previous instalments I get lost with the story arc. The film looked quite good and the actors have got better with age but I can imagine there were some bored kids when this one was in cinemas.5/10.

The Hangover

The plot - 4 guys go to Las Vegas for a stag do and it goes pear shaped - sounded like it was going to be a rip-off of 'Very Bad Things', but apart from the basic premise it was very different. The lead up to the night out is shown but the actual events are not shown, instead the group minus groom-to-be are shown waking up in their trashed hotel room and they then have to try and piece together the evening before and find the groom to get him back in time for the wedding that day. I must admit I enjoyed this one, plenty of good laughs to be had, if you have a tolerance for 'Old School' and such it should probably appeal. 8/10.

Inglourious Basterds

There hasn't been a Tarantino film I haven't liked, I didn't even think 'Death Proof' was particularly bad, it achieved what it was supposed to in my mind. I thought this was really good, the typical 'chapter' structure and sometimes bizarre soundtracking - 80's Bowie in a 40's war film? Works though. Brad Pitt played his part very well, although I usually like him anyway I wasn't completely sure about this one but he was actually top class in the end. As was Christoph Waltz who plays the main Nazi. Although for some reason he reminds me of Rob Brydon. Baseball bat scene was pretty brutal. 9/10

Coffin Rock

An Australian horror film with a similar visual style to 'Wolf Creek', I'd not heard of it but good ratings from the likes of Total Film on the cover caught my eye. Since the DVD box tells you as much, it's not giving anything away to say the plot concerns a married couple trying and failing to have kids and who attend an IVF clinic to get the husband's swimmers checked out. The young lad working on reception takes a fancy to the wife to the extent that he gets their address off the records and follows them back to their Outback hometown, the titular Coffin Rock. Frustrated with the apparent lack of fertility in her husband the wife goes out and gets drunk and ends up shagging the guy from the IVF clinic who has hit on her previously whilst working at the same fish factory as she does. She ends up pregnant and the guy tries to claim paternity and get her to leave with him. Cue lots of stalking and general psycho behaviour. I've spent worse 90 mins with well known films, it was enjoyable enough but it was difficult to hold any sympathy with the lead character since she was such a bitch - slagging your husband to his face about his infertility and sleeping with someone else? Very sympathetic. Quite liked the downbeat ending though, refreshing change from the usual happily ever after. 7/10

Monsters vs. Aliens

Bought for my son to try and get a change from the usual cycle of 'Toy Story' and 'Shrek'. Ended up having to watch it twice in one day, seemed slow on first viewing but second was more enjoyable. Not as enjoyable as other Dreamworks stuff such as 'Shrek' and 'Kung Fu Panda' but still an OK way to waste some time and keep the bairn amused. 7/10.

In the Loop

Pretty funny, Peter Capaldi immense in his venomous delivery. I wish I could get away with talking to folk like that at work, it would make my days so enjoyable. 9/10

Also revisited 'bad Santa' last night as it's just the done thing at Xmas. Still amazing. 9/10

• Upvote 1

I thought it was ok on the first run through. The story's pretty solid, but without that to intrigue me on the second viewing I was left at the mercy of the fucking zany dialogue.

Agreed on Michael Cera, although I figured that his eye-watering rape at the hands of JK was implied already due to his quivering lower lip and glazed expression.