aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Watched:

Rocky - The original and probably the best of the series. I probably know most of the film word for word but it's still compelling viewing. The build up to the match is slow, but it succeeds in really making you care about the character and you still cheer him even though you know the ending.

Rocky 2 - Not as good as the original, it isn't as gritty of the first one and they tried to inject a bit of humour, putting Rocky into "fish out of water" scenarios which kind of falls a bit flat. Still, it's a great film, and possibly the only film which it's acceptable for guys to cry at the end of.

Watched Back To The Future 2 at the weekend. I still quite enjoyed it, but it's probably my least favourite of the three. The storyline is a bit tedious, and I've never felt convinced by the suspense it tries to build up when Marty is trying to get the book back from Biff. Still a decent watch though. My favourite line is:

Marty: "You're not gonna believe it Doc. We have to go back 1955!"

Doc: "I DONT BELIEVE IT!"

Biff Tannen is ace.

Watched Back To The Future 2 at the weekend. I still quite enjoyed it, but it's probably my least favourite of the three. The storyline is a bit tedious, and I've never felt convinced by the suspense it tries to build up when Marty is trying to get the book back from Biff. Still a decent watch though. My favourite line is:

Marty: "You're not gonna believe it Doc. We have to go back 1955!"

Doc: "I DONT BELIEVE IT!"

Biff Tannen is ace.

It doesn't make sense though. If "Old" Biff stole the DeLorean to go back to 1955 and give "Young" Biff the Sports Almanac, Marty McFly would be stuck in the "original" 2015, as "Old" Biff would go "back to the future" where Biff is rich etc.

Or something.

Just watched Star Wars IV : A New Hope and halfway through Empire Strikes Back.

It's been years since I watched the originals and bloody hell I forgot how good they're.

Not too keen on the added effects and new scenes but still a timeless classic.

Han Solo may be the best character in history of film.

Stay

Stars Ewan McGregor, Naomi Watts and Ryan Gosling. Gosling plays a man who claims to his new psychiatrist (McGregor) that he killed his parents and that he is going to top himself. Naomi Watts is McGregors girlfriend who has attempted suicide in the past. Lots of weird things happen through the course of the film that has you wondering what is real/imagined or just generally has you confused. The ending for me was ill thought out and doesn't really make what has gone before make any sense whatsoever. In fact I think this may be one of the stupidest films I have ever seen. They obviously though they were doing something enigmatic like Mulholland Drive or Lost Highway but whereas those films made you continue to think about what happened through the film to see if you can figure it out, this one just seems to go for a cop out ending that is expected to be taken at face value but is actually just ridiculous. 3/10.

The Wolf Man

The old Lon Chaney one from 1941 or something, bought for 3 quid in Asda. I like revisiting these old Universal horrors that I used to stay up late and watch in my youth. Also got a double bill DVD of The Mummy and Creature From the Black Lagoon. I still like Dracula, Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein but this one doesn't hold up quite so well, too much chat and not enough werewolf action. Then again in comparison with American Werewolf in London/The Howling etc this si always going to seem dated. And although Bela Lugosi seems to become a full blown wolf at the start, Lon Chaney just becomes a bit hairy and keeps his shirt tucked into his breeks. 5/10.

Year One

Jack Black and Michael Cera play hunter/gatherers shunned from their tribe who go on a journey and encounter various biblical characters and end up visiting Sodom whilst trying to save the 2 lasses from their tribe that they want to cop off with. Black and Cera both play their pretty standard roles and some other well known folk pop up (Hank Azaria, Oliver Platt, David Cross (Tobias from Arrested Development), Paul Rudd and Kyle Gass). Some pretty funny bits in there I suppose but the historical setting clashes with the modern toilet humour. Probably a historians nightmare as well.... 6/10.

Public Enemies. Mmmmmm. Its ok but theres something about it that stopped me getting emersed. Cant put my finger on it. Doing the country shoot out in cam corder type digital felt quite wierd in a good way. Quite a nice touch though. I got the feeling J Depp was going through the motions it could have been M Manns direction i guess. I feel hes been put on a pedestal slightly due to Heat which was good but a classic? Mmmmmm

Booked tickets to see Paranormal Activity today. Cant wait for Friday

Taking of Pelham 123 - was ok felt like there was something it was missing or just not getting, but good to see Travolta again and playing a different kind of baddie

The Counterfeit - True story set during the war and focused around one of the biggest counterfeiting operations ever, about a guy who is sent to concentration camp for forging notes/passports etc then moved to a slightly upgraded camp but to help the Nazis forge Pounds and dollars alongside jews and other criminals. Quite a touching bit of film, recommend!!

Just as a heads up, The Notorious Bettie Page, which as been mentioned a few times in this thread, is avaklable on the BBC iPlayer.

BBC iPlayer - The Notorious Bettie Page

Quite enjoyed this, recorded it and watched it last night. Only briefly touched on the darker side of her life and ghosted over a few other grittier areas but Gretchen Mol played Betty really well and really captured the "look".

This will give you all a laugh ! (maybe it should be in the "Humour" thread?)

While shopping today at Tesco in Ellon, besides the usual shopping, the wife & I bought a couple of DVD's to watch.....

First one was Matthew Perry/Zac Efron "17 Again".....

The second was ME having an "craft" moment..... namely

I picked up (without really reading it!) "Inglorious B*****ds" which has a red sticker on it with "Includes an interview with Tarantino"...... great I thought, jumping to conclusions, put it in the trolley, went home eventually, and just a short while ago, I put in in my PC to watch a bit with the DVD player....... errr..... I'd only gone and bought the "Original" 1977 film by Enzo Castellari...... well I'll watch it anyway!!!!

:O?(

While shopping today at Tesco in Ellon, besides the usual shopping, the wife & I bought a couple of DVD's to watch.....

I picked up (without really reading it!) "Inglorious B*****ds" which has a red sticker on it with "Includes an interview with Tarantino"...... great I thought, jumping to conclusions, put it in the trolley, went home eventually, and just a short while ago, I put in in my PC to watch a bit with the DVD player....... errr..... I'd only gone and bought the "Original" 1977 film by Enzo Castellari...... well I'll watch it anyway!!!!

Oh no you di'n't!

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!11

WALL-E - I thought this was a great movie. I think they got everything right, the humour, sentimentality, story. So this gets top marks

Surrogates: This was ok. I liked the concept and Willis was decent in it. I didn't feel like I'd wasted my time with this one unlike Babylon AD which was terrible. I won't give the story away because it has a good twist in it. Worth a watch

Zombie land: Funny, good take on a fairly saturated market. Worth a watch definitely.

Bruno: Ok, watchable, but not as funny as Borat. Best bit is when he's sitting with the hunters and says they're like the sex and the city girls haha.

super-cool-story-bro.png?1244744947

Watched The Social Climber last night, fairly typical American "comedy" about bad selfish girl eventually becomes good. Jennifer Love Hewitt flashes uber amounts of cleavage in it though and her take on a bunny outfit is impressive but apart from a couple of amusing moments a pretty poor attempt though I would give it 3/10 for the sheer amount of JLH boobies! :0)

Also got round to watching The Number 23 on Blu Ray, interesting take on a psychological thriller with an ending I had suspected but then dismissed part way through the film to be caught out by it. I generally prefer the Jim Carey serious movies anyway but this was an interesting avenue for him. A few holes and some unexplained moments but in general a solid 7.5/10 from me.

Shooter - Bog standard, painting by numbers action film starring Mark Wahlberg as an ex-US Marine Sniper forced out of retirement as the only person with the expertise to stop an assasination attempt on the President. Ultimately double crossed he goes on the run........befriends hapless FBI rookie who becomes his partner.....hooks up with his ex army buddies missus....the bad guys kill his dog. They always kill the dog. That is how you push the buttons of ex-army/police types. Kill their dog and they will come a shootin. In the end I think he killed the baddies and rode off into the sunset with his one dimensional southern belle. Wow.

Matchstick Men - Nicolas Cage as a obsessive compulsive con man. Sam Rockwell as his protege and a young lassie as Cage's daughter. Entertaining with great performances. Recommended.

The Pianist - One of the best films I've ever seen. Perhaps the best.

I also hired The Black Dahlia but didn't bother watching it because of the terrible reviews I read. I've read the book which is good so I'll leave it at that.

In case you're wondering why I am a few years behind everyone else, I only watch films once they're in the 4 for 5 + keep for a week shelf at the Video Drive In.

Juno - seen it at the cinema before and enjoyed it immensely. It's not so good the second time round when you know what to expect, but it's still a lot of fun to watch. Ellen Page is great in it. Brilliant soundtrack as well.

Jennifer's Body - Diablo Cody's "difficult" second film, and boy what a mess she's made of it. An obvious initial gripe is that the titular Jennifer is a nasty bitch before she gets possessed, and subsequently just acts exactly the same afterwards - isn't it a staple of horror to have the good girl turn bad?

My biggest gripe about this film though is that for a comedy / horror it's neither funny nor scary. The Juno-isms and teen-speak remain, but Megan Fox is just completely incapable of delivering the lines. She may be easy on the eye, but she is a terrible actress, she has absolutely zero charisma, no charm and no comic timing. She may actually be Hollywood's first ever no-trick pony. Amanda Seyfried isn't much better as the geeky best friend. The dialogue is there but neither of them can inject any sparkle into it, and it quickly just becames annoying. The only person capable of generating a laugh in this is J.K Simmons, which he does well. Which just goes to show that if the producers had opted for a couple of actresses who posses a modicum of comic timing, instead of just the latest flavour-of-the-week that looks good in a pair of shorty-shorts, this could have been much better. As it is, it's falls flat.

I started watching Drag Me To Hell on Saturday (my husband has sophisticated movie taste) but have reached an age where old ladies removing their falsers and gumming the chins of young ladies, who are then going to kill a kitten is beyond my tolerance (or stomach strength) so I retired to a different room and read a nice book instead.