aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Aye, got to be the worst Michael Mann film (of the ones I've seen anyway). Colin Farrel has always been in rubbish films, until recently with In Bruges and Crazy Heart.

In Bruges is simply brilliant. Watched it again last week.

Phone Booth was ok as well for him, but he does seem to appear in a lot of mediocre stuff (e.g. SWAT and Daredevil)

Kick-Ass

Didn't really like it. A few sniggering moments, but it was a bit toss overall. Nicholas Cage is a terrible actor, and I didn't really care for anyone who was considered a good guy. I wanted them all to get their heads kicked in. Some crude violence though, which was good. Folk getting stabbed to shit and that.

2 out of 5

Watched Whip it last night. Drew Barrymore's directorial debut, and it is shhhhhit: the roller derby scenes lack excitement, the romance bit feels distinctly spare, and there's loads of sub plots that don't make a lot of sense (judging by the deleted scenes, a lot of pretty relevant content was cut out).

Ellen Page does my nut in. Especially when she's blabbering on at her boyfriend about her obscure 80s rock band t-shirt.

Of course he's going to cheat on you while he's on tour. You're rubbish.

On the plus side, I liked Juliette Lewis and the silly names (Smashley Simpson being my favourite). 2/5.

House Of Wax - 1953, staarring Vincent Price. Really enjoyed this. Vincent Price is awesome as ever, and the story is nice and creepy. The 2005 remake isn't bad as well.

The 2005 one is slightly superior in that Paris Hilton receives a bit of pipe in the face.

It's a while since I saw it so apologies if that is factually incorrect and just wishful thinking....

No you are quite right. Ace film that.

parishilton.jpg

I like how that pic could just be one of her 'personal' videos that went badly wrong...that bit is actually the only bit I remember...the Vinnie one was OK, I used to have it, was it one of the ones I sold you?

If you like Vinnie and haven't seen them, I highly recommend 'Theatre of Blood' and the 'Dr Phibes' films. And 'Witchfinder General'...

I like how that pic could just be one of her 'personal' videos that went badly wrong...that bit is actually the only bit I remember...the Vinnie one was OK, I used to have it, was it one of the ones I sold you?

If you like Vinnie and haven't seen them, I highly recommend 'Theatre of Blood' and the 'Dr Phibes' films. And 'Witchfinder General'...

Think I've seen those. Not sure. He did so many films! Aye I think it was you that sold me House Of Wax. It's a good un. I like "House On Haunted Hill" as well.

I like how that pic could just be one of her 'personal' videos that went badly wrong....

Naaaah, far too bright and not enough green. Errr....

Recent viewings: Once Upon A Time In The Midlands (which was pretty forgettable), Salt (which was alright), and JCVD (which is downright hilarious)....

The Expendables

Watched this on my laptop yesterday (it kinda just appeared there one morning :angel: ).

It's a predictable tale about a bunch of ageing mercenaries (Randy Couture, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Terry Drews & Jason Statham ) led by Sly Stallone, who are contracted (via Mickey Rourke) to some shady CIA operation run by Bruce Willis - (yes I know, not a whole heap of Shakesperian talent there)

Basically, they have to overthrow the evil dictatorship of some fictitious Hispanic island nation, run, predictably by a corrupt general.

The General is being bankrolled by a renegade ex-CIA nasty, played by Eric "you'll know my sister Julia better" Roberts and his sideckick, Stone Cold Steve Austin.

It's a more violent retread of The Losers, but without Zoe Saldana (mmmmmm, Zoe), although Charisma Carpenter looks very hot at 40.

I imagine that the two demographics this move will appeal to are a) the Francis Begbie bully types and b) The Bullied, who dream about pulling off some of the ridiculous martial arts moves on their tormentors.

Mindless fun :up:

6/10

Ps - a very leathery Arnie Schwarzenegger makes a cameo appearance.

PPs - where was Jean-Claude van Damme in all of this I wonder?

Youth in Revolt

Michael Cera plays an awkward young lad (typecasting? Surely nae) who invents an alter ego to try and get into some lass. From the blurb on the box I got the impression that he reinvents himself as this alter ego permanently but really he just seems to imagine him on occasion. I didnt get this film really, a bit of a disappointment. And not even very funny. I was watching while lying in bed with an extreme hangover and may have dozed off briefly so my opinion may be sullied somewhat.

5/10

Date Night

Steve Carell and Tina Fey play parents trying to prevent their marriage becoming too stale so they go for their regular date night in NY instead of the usual local eatery in New Jersey. They steal someone elses table at a fancy restaurant and the resulting mistaken identity leads them to be pursued by corrupt cops while trying to find a way to sort out the mix up. Some reasonably amusing bits but a bit disappointing given how much I like the 2 leads in their TV shows.

6/10

Youth in Revolt

Michael Cera plays an awkward young lad (typecasting? Surely nae) who invents an alter ego to try and get into some lass. From the blurb on the box I got the impression that he reinvents himself as this alter ego permanently but really he just seems to imagine him on occasion. I didnt get this film really, a bit of a disappointment. And not even very funny. I was watching while lying in bed with an extreme hangover and may have dozed off briefly so my opinion may be sullied somewhat.

5/10

I watched it all fully compos mentis and had pretty much the same summary.