aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Can we just clarify this - is there or is there not a Kelly Brook vagina shot in Piranha 3D?

Someone clarify. Boobies as well?

The Belmont are screening The Room for anyone interested. Get your cutlery at the ready!

I will be going tomorrow night I think. Can't wait. Seen it already but I think its the type of film that has to be enjoyed on the big screen.

Just watched The Big Lebowski. I'm off to Amsterdam in a few days and for some reason, this seemed like a good choice of film to get the mood on.

Its a great film. I often watch it after a night out. Never fails to entertain.

Harry Brown - Had been given hit/miss reviews on this one. I liked it, best thing Caine has done in a while anyway. Bit too much overacting by the louts, but not a film-breaker. Sean Harris' character was geniunely terrifying, great cameo.

Brainstorm - Went back to this on the back of Inception: it's a flawed piece of genius, and Walken is great in it. Not to be watched if you are under the influence of drugs or absinthe, noooo....

I quite fancy seeing Harry Brown, but got put off by everyone saying it wasn't as good as Gran Torino.

My last 3 were...

'When Harry met Sally' (not my choice, I hasten to add)...still OKish I suppose.

'The girl in the park' (Also not my choice, but enjoyed this one a lot more tyhan expected....thought Sigourney was spot on).

'The Fantastic Mr Fox' (as above again).....was pretty disappointed by it. The voice-over actors (big names all) were pretty emotionless, and the US/English divide was strange. I also thought the animation wasn't partciularly good.

'Day of the Triffids' (my choice, finally)....great 60s rubbish!!! I'd never seen it in colour before, so it was a treat. The Triffids were so naff they were wonderful.

A Single Man - Big Woodentop is actually quite good in this character study of a college professor grieving for his dead lover. 7/10

Crazy Heart - Underwhelmed with this movie - it's quite dreary and uninvolving, though The Dude is excellent in the lead as Bad Blake, a one-time minor C&W star, slogging his way through the Pub/Bowling Alley circuit. Colin Farrell is badly miscast as Bad's much more successful protege. 6/10

The Spy Who Love Me - Campy, cheesy 70's backprojection a-gogo. Good fun, but badly dated.

Anchorman - Sadly this gets less funny every time I watch it, because I know all the jokes now. But still, there's usually at least one thing that pops up every time I watch it that I haven't noticed before. This time it was that when Brick is introducing himself at the party, he is spooning mayonnaise into a toaster. In fact Brick is the funniest thing in this film. "There were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident". Great stuff. Most quotable film ever.

I only noticed that bit with Mayonaise because there's an outtake in the special features where he says his line, puts the toaster down, smells the burning mayonaise, then eats a spoonful. Carrell is superb. He's in a film with Paul Rudd (Brian Fantana in Anchorman) called Dinner's For Suckers which comes out soon. It appears Carrell plays a similar character to Brick in it. Should be great.

Watched Youth In Revolt last night. Starring Michael Cera, as the one character he knows how to play. It's got a good cast, with small appearances from Ray Liotta and Steve Buscemi, and the owner of the network from Anchorman who is in everything. It was alright. Some of the dialogue between Cera and the girl he's trying to nail was a bit OTT. Yeah, we get it. You're intellectual, misunderstood teenagers.

He develops a nasty alter ego so he can get kicked out of his Mum's house and go run away with his girlfriend. Obviously things don't go quite to plan, and there's mentions of obscure music and drugs. As expected. Cera's character is a bit patronising throughout, which is where most of the funnies come from, as well as his alter ego being unconvincingly ruthless. The best scene is actually in the extended trailer and is a huge spoiler, so avoid that if you want to watch it.

Not bad. I think I liked it more than Juno, because the main girl in Juno, who was called Juno, was an insufferable cunt. It's not as good as Superbad though.

Whip It

A lass living in Buttville Texas whose Mum makes her attend beauty pageants and shite like that discovers roller derby and gets quite good at it, leading to conflict with her Mum when the grand roller derby final clashes with some pageant. Its got Drew Barrymore, Juliette Lewis and Ellen Page in it (this means Soda jerk should avoid since he dislikes her, which makes him a mentalist). Actually a chick flick on appearance but quite an enjoyable one, got some good laughs in it. I still have no clue what the rules of roller derby are. Would watch again.

8/10

Pretty Woman - I've managed to avoid this estrogen-fest up until now as it's always conjured up images of horrible screechy bitches like my ex-girlfriend and her troglodyte mates sitting round on a Friday night drinking white wine and watching chick flicks and talking about how rubbish men are. Which they actually used to do, every two weeks, and they'd all watch Bridget Jones Diary for the millionth time and sit and cry like arseholes. God I hate her.

Anyway, back to the film, it was actually quite good. Julia Roberts plays the part well, and Richard Gere isn't as abhorrent as I usually find him. Would watch again.

'When Harry met Sally' (not my choice, I hasten to add)...still OKish I suppose.

Must be pretty tame after seeing the "orgasm" scene re-enacted for real by me and Mrs Bigsby in Katz' Diner. (You really need to dig out your tape of that night for me).

Toy Story 3 Very good obviously, although the second one is the pick of the bunch for me. First time I'd seen a d film and I was underwhelmed. Cried at the end. They only had massive adult 3D glasses which kept falling off Bigsby Jr's head, despite this being a kids film and despite crazy prices. Sort it out Cineworld you cunts.

Avatar Somehow managed to miss this first time round so caught the re-release. 3D more impressive this time. Good entertaining "popcorn" film, even though I'm too grippy to buy popcorn myself.

eden-lake-horror-movie-poster.jpg

Eden Lake - A British horror / thriller about a couple who go out to a remote spot in the middle of a woods for a romantic getaway and find themselves terrorised by a gang of local hoodies. The film is brutal as fuck in places, gory, disturbing and really not a feelgood film! Gruesome stuff. But the story zips along nicely and you get a real sense of the utter futility of the couple trying to escape from the locals hellbent on taking them out. It's like a modern day British version of Deliverance, with bloodythirsty chavs replacing the mountain men. It does have flaws - there are plot holes large enough to drive a bus through, one of the characters is so over the top evil that it stops being believable, he may as well have a pencil moustche and a Vincent Price cackle. As for the male lead, Michael Fassbender or something, he gives a masterclass in terrible acting. He's all chiselled good looks and a six pack, and looks good wading in and out of the lake in just a pair of shorts, but he's so bad he could be outacted by a jar of mayonnaise. But the female lead makes up for it, she is superb.

Despite it's flaws, the film is really rather good.

eden-lake-horror-movie-poster.jpg

Eden Lake - A British horror / thriller about a couple who go out to a remote spot in the middle of a woods for a romantic getaway and find themselves terrorised by a gang of local hoodies. The film is brutal as fuck in places, gory, disturbing and really not a feelgood film! Gruesome stuff. But the story zips along nicely and you get a real sense of the utter futility of the couple trying to escape from the locals hellbent on taking them out. It's like a modern day British version of Deliverance, with bloodythirsty chavs replacing the mountain men. It does have flaws - there are plot holes large enough to drive a bus through, one of the characters is so over the top evil that it stops being believable, he may as well have a pencil moustche and a Vincent Price cackle. As for the male lead, Michael Fassbender or something, he gives a masterclass in terrible acting. He's all chiselled good looks and a six pack, and looks good wading in and out of the lake in just a pair of shorts, but he's so bad he could be outacted by a jar of mayonnaise. But the female lead makes up for it, she is superb.

Despite it's flaws, the film is really rather good.

Good film. My wife departed the room once the young Asian lad was on the receiving end. To be fair that bit is rather upsetting...

The Illusionist: About an elderly French magician whose act is becoming increasingly unpopular as the 1950s end and rock and roll emerges. He leaves France for the UK and finds himself performing in empty theatres, at drunken garden parties and remote island bars. When he performs on a remote Gaelic-speaking island, he meets a young girl who follows him to Edinburgh. He performs at the festival and they stay in a hotel after striking up a sort of paternal relationship. Stunningly beautiful animation, a melancholy but enchanting and romantic portrayal of Edinburgh and Scotland as a whole. 10/10.

The Illusionist: About an elderly French magician whose act is becoming increasingly unpopular as the 1950s end and rock and roll emerges. He leaves France for the UK and finds himself performing in empty theatres, at drunken garden parties and remote island bars. When he performs on a remote Gaelic-speaking island, he meets a young girl who follows him to Edinburgh. He performs at the festival and they stay in a hotel after striking up a sort of paternal relationship. Stunningly beautiful animation, a melancholy but enchanting and romantic portrayal of Edinburgh and Scotland as a whole. 10/10.

I went to see this film this evening and completely agree - really wonderful.