aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Godfather III - Much-maligned final episode in the trilogy. Hampered by casting of non-actress Sophia Coppola in pivotal role, but great performances by Pacino, Andy Garcia, Eli Wallach and Talia Shire make it more than watcheable. 7/10

Fish Tank - Kitchen sink drama starring unknown (apparently she was discovered whilst arguing with her boyfriend a train station!) Kate Jarvis, who's fabulous in the role of Mia, a smart, resourceful but very troubled 15-year-old living in a shithole Essex scheme (Barking, I think) with her MILF mum and younger sister. Michael Fassbender of Inglourious Basterds fame (he played Lt Archie Hicox) does a good job in the role mum's new boyfriend, who has clear designs on Mia. 8.5/10

The Sopranos - Obviously not a fillum, but my partner and I have been watching back to back episodes starting from the pilot and I thought I'd mention it here. We're currently at episode 1 of Series 5. This is just THEEE best thing ever to grace the telly, eclipsing - for me anyway - The Wire, X-Files, Twin Peaks and Life on Mars. Completely and utterly compelling with some of the finest acting and the most fleshed-out characters you'll ever see. 1,000,000/10

..and I agree wholeheartedly with Norseman. What an unholy pile of shite - only the Clash of the Titans remake is worse. Simon Pegg is Britain's Jim Carrey - a fucking annoying, overexposed, talentless twat.

easy now, Simon Pegg is awesome, obviously he has some role sin shit films but he needs to pay the bills, Spaced, Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead are incredible and gave the British film industry a bit of credit, and his turns on big train and Brasseye (or was it day today) were awesome! Leave him alone :swearing: (agree with the rest of your post especially the Sopranos, i bet when ever someone says anything the slightest bit out of order you go OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!) :up:

I think Simon Pegg is one of the most non-dislikeable people I have seen in films and stuff. I really don't get the hate. Although that 'How to Lost Friends and Alienate People' wasnae great. And I bet if anyone was offered to play Scotty in a Star Trek film they would jump at the chance. Especially if they were actually Scottish. But then they would probably need subtitles.

Don't mind Simon Pegg, but I haven't seen the new Trek yet. I would suggest these sentiments better apply to James Corden.

Yes. He was OK in Gavin and Stacey but he is not a comedian as I would define it. He's more like someone who would be a laugh in the pub. That level of funny. Massively overexposed for the amount of value.

Don't mind Simon Pegg, but I haven't seen the new Trek yet. I would suggest these sentiments better apply to James Corden.

Agreed - Corden is a weeping jap's eye of the highest order.

Maybe I was a bit harsh on The Peggster - my vitriol was based on him making such a buffoon out of Scotty in Star Trek. I did enjoy "Shaun of the Dead" and "Run, Fatboy, Run".

Yes. He was OK in Gavin and Stacey but he is not a comedian as I would define it. He's more like someone who would be a laugh in the pub. That level of funny. Massively overexposed for the amount of value.

I think I used the exact same description of him recently....and then probably called him a fat cunt.

Three Colours Blue - I found it all a bit alienating really, the tragic event at the start didn't feel to me like it had enough emotional significance and made it hard for me to really empathise with Julie Binoche's character fully. Love the sudden fades and orchestral bursts at important points throughout the film, though. Did maintain my interest throughout though and the pivotal moment where the main character becomes emotionally engaged again was rather affecting in light of what precedes it. I'll be watching the rest of the trilogy 7/10

Woyzeck - totally underrated Herzog/Kinski film, their best in my opinion and the only time Kinski plays a character that is at once wild-eyed and sympathetic. Perfectly economic script and storyline. Brilliant iconic ending also. 9/10

Frequently Asked Questions about Time Travel

Brit film from last year starring Dean Lennox Kelly, Marc Wootton and Chris O'Dowd as three friends that find a time leak in a pub toilet. Quite a good film, also had Anna Faris.

I watched this last night too, it's a low key affair but made for good Sunday night viewing. It's on the bbc iplayer for the week, worth checking out for some gentle laughs.

The Condemned - Action flick starring Vinnie Jones and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. This was pretty much what you'd expect from a film starring a footballer and a wrestler, lots of action and fighting and stuff. 10 convicted criminals get thrown onto an island with a bomb strapped to their leg, the only way to get the bomb removed is to be the last man left alive. So they all set about killing each other in new and interesting ways. Oh also it's being streamed live on the internet to 40m people. Some good bits, some bad. Big plot holes and continuity errors (Steve Austin jumps into a waterfall and climbs out and his clothes are dry), but some of the fighting scenes are cool and pretty original, and Vinnie Jones makes a good baddie, the torturous bastard that he is.

Bought some cheap ex-rentals from the local film emporium, so far have viewed

Couples Retreat

Watchable, intermittently mildly amusing but nowt amazing. Vince Vaughn, Jon Favreau, Jason Bateman and some fat black guy go to a paradise island couples therapy thing run by Jean Reno. Jake the Muss from Once Were Warriors has now slid from playing Jango Fett to a topless dude hitting a gong.

5/10

The Unborn

Spooky kid horror. Its the one with the poster and cover that had a lass with her back to camera wearing very skimpy white pants. The pants get a good outing for numerous scenes early on but disappear and then it gets silly. Again, watchable, but the ending, while no doubt intended as the bit shock closer was actually sign posted so obviously earlier on that I thought it was going to become a big plot point. It didnt, so I forgot about it and was actually surprised it cropped up again. Gary Oldman slums it as a rabbi.

5/10.

The Condemned - Action flick starring Vinnie Jones and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. This was pretty much what you'd expect from a film starring a footballer and a wrestler, lots of action and fighting and stuff. 10 convicted criminals get thrown onto an island with a bomb strapped to their leg, the only way to get the bomb removed is to be the last man left alive. So they all set about killing each other in new and interesting ways. Oh also it's being streamed live on the internet to 40m people. Some good bits, some bad. Big plot holes and continuity errors (Steve Austin jumps into a waterfall and climbs out and his clothes are dry), but some of the fighting scenes are cool and pretty original, and Vinnie Jones makes a good baddie, the torturous bastard that he is.

I can't believe 2 people on this website have actually watched this film....

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/movies-tv/48222-last-film-you-watched-243.html#post803778

The Unborn

Spooky kid horror. Its the one with the poster and cover that had a lass with her back to camera wearing very skimpy white pants. The pants get a good outing for numerous scenes early on but disappear and then it gets silly. Again, watchable, but the ending, while no doubt intended as the bit shock closer was actually sign posted so obviously earlier on that I thought it was going to become a big plot point. It didnt, so I forgot about it and was actually surprised it cropped up again. Gary Oldman slums it as a rabbi.

5/10.

Pretty much what I thought of it as well.

The Unborn - Horror flick from Platinum Dunes' date=' with such a ridiculously convoluted concept that even the characters in it don't seem to understand it ("It's a ghost, or a demon, or something"). It has a few cool bits, but it seems to be mostly based around showing the leading lady prancing around in a vest top and panties. Even Gary Oldman's performance feels phoned in, and in some scenes you can actually see him thinking "what the fuck am I doing here?".

I can't believe 2 people on this website have actually watched this film....

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/movies-tv/48222-last-film-you-watched-243.html#post803778

Silly action films FTW! Tonight it's either going to be Cliffhanger or Hard Target, which is awesome.

Hard Target - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Van Damme vs a bunch of rich guys who hunt homeless people by giving them half a million dollars and a half hour head-start to reach the city limits before they come after them with guns. Yeah!

Silly action films FTW! Tonight it's either going to be Cliffhanger or Hard Target, which is awesome.

Hard Target - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Van Damme vs a bunch of rich guys who hunt homeless people by giving them half a million dollars and a half hour head-start to reach the city limits before they come after them with guns. Yeah!

Sounds amazing. Me and the bird actually went through a period where we had a policy of only hiring Steven Segal films. This was on the basis that we were often disappointed by films that didn't have Steven Segal in them and the fact that you know what you're getting with Segal.

This lasted until we hired one that didn't have one good fight or one good one-liner in it and didn't actually make any sense. I even watched it again the next day just to ensure that we hadn't missed anything but just sat their muttering "who the fuck is that guy?" and "what is he talking about?". It's a horrible feeling to be intelectually defeated by an action movie. I actually think it might have been 30 of his films spliced into one and repackaged. We also encountered the problem that we'd go to the video shop and say "have we seen that one yet?" and never be sure because they all have the same picture of him holding a gun with an explosion as a backdrop.

....and here endeth my Steven Segal monologue.

Shutter Island - Really enjoyed this film. Hadn't heard much, if anything about it before my flatmate got it from Blockbusters. Good performance from Di Caprio.

Brothers - Tobey Maguire (who doesn't look anything like a soldier but apparently is) and Jake Gyllenhaal star in this one. Another good one that I hadn't heard anything about.

Green Zone - Been wanting to see this ever since it came out, but never got the chance to go see it at the cinema. Not as "Bourne" as I was lead to believe, so therefore not as good as I hoped. Still an alright film though.

Le Donk and Scor-Zay-Zee - Shane Meadows spoof documentary with Paddy Considine. My flat mate bought this a while ago and he said he wasn't too keen, but I thought it was alright. Wasn't really keen on Scor-Zay-Zee's performance though, just didn't do enough.

Toy Story 3 - Amazing, and a great addition to the series. Yet another Pixar film passes with flying colours. Funny, sentimental without ever getting cloying (well, maybe once) and just as entertaining for adults as for kids. They've captured the innocence of childhood perfectly.

****1/2. Dropping half a point because the big scary action-y climax falls a little flat and doesn't quite sit right with the rest of the film or the series.

Bought some cheap ex-rentals from the local film emporium, so far have viewed

Couples Retreat

Jake the Muss from Once Were Warriors has now slid from playing Jango Fett to a topless dude hitting a gong.

Jake the Muss - legend!

"In case you wanna know it's Jake. Jake The Muss"

OWW was a great fillum and Jake's "handling" of that monster in the bar was easily the fastest, most effective and realistic cunt-kicking in movie history!

Action at around 2:20

All my friends like the new Trek film as well but I just think it takes nonsensical to a new uncharted level. Trek has always had plot holes and some general daftness but the amount of them in the Trek film just leaves an old nit picker like me speechless. I have no problem with the concept of a franchise reboot and throwing in a decent cast and some big bucks cgi is all good but I don't even know where to start on the stupid stuff!

A couple of examples, how can a cadet who hasn't even qualified from the academy be promoted straight to captain of the flagship of the fleet! (a navy/space Captain is the equivalent of an army Colonel).

The hugely convuluted sub plot/action scene to paradrop onto the dangly drilly thing to disable it yet a single well placed phaser shot would destroy it as easily as shown later when blowing the dangly drill on Earth.

Where was the protection for earth, not even a single shuttle flew up to stop the big dangly thing even though it was pretty much undefended. How could a massive big mining ship sit in earth orbit and threaten the planet even if it did have access codes to get through the outer defence layers. Somebody surely must have had enough sense to go and shoot it.

Why when you are supposedly sneaking through to destroy the earth would you do your drilling right on the door of Starfleet command which is technically meant to be the most heavily defended area, pick Antartica or the desert somewhere.

At the beginning one old Starfleet ship puts up a reasonable fight against the big drilling ship and badly damages it when it rams it yet later on 9 more advanced warships get shredded easily without a scratch on the Romulans. However later on the Enterprise destroys an entire missile volley easily fired from the mining ship and there seems to be a complete lack of shielding and no point defence on the Romulan ship so it should have been a sitting target regarldess of being from the future, it wasn't a military vessal.

Beaming to a ship in fast warp which at the point of doing was was many light years away, hmmmmmm.

Don't get me started on the interior layout of the Enteprise and it's waterworks, brewery, oil refinery, full size airport, branch of KFC and Wallmart. I know they have rescaled it to make it bigger but the come on!

I have to get back to work but if I can be bothered might add another dozen or so other parts of the film that hugely annoy me later.

• Upvote 1