aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Yeah that's crazy low. What up with that?

Just...don't really watch films. Don't really know why! I like them (films), but I guess have rather spent my film-time watching TV shows or playing Football Manager.

My girlfriend is well into films though. Should probably work my way through that list, right? But there's just SO MUCH TV to watch. I haven't even seen The Sopranos FFS.

21 Jump Street

Buddy cop movie with Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum. Handsome jock and loser nerd sent back to high school as undercover cops to find out about a new drug that's hitting the streets. I put it on because I fancied some braindead pish to put on in the background while I read comics. Was surprised by how good it is, some great laughs and it doesn't take itself too seriously. Really, really good as these kind of movies go. Would definitely recommend.

9/10

xx

21 Jump Street

Buddy cop movie with Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum. Handsome jock and loser nerd sent back to high school as undercover cops to find out about a new drug that's hitting the streets. I put it on because I fancied some braindead pish to put on in the background while I read comics. Was surprised by how good it is, some great laughs and it doesn't take itself too seriously. Really, really good as these kind of movies go. Would definitely recommend.

9/10

xx

Yeah, loved it. Wasn't expecting to, as it looked kinda crappy. I too just wanted easy comedy, but it was a good watch.

Django Unchained

I'm not really a Tarentino fanboy. I like Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown. I'm not all that fussed about the rest, except for Inglorious Basterds and Deathproof, which I haven't seen yet. I think this is the best I've seen so far though. Great cast and characters. From watching it, it didn't feel like a typical Tarentino film, as you don't get to see anyone in the boot of a car, though the gun fights are as you'd expect. When someone gets shot in the head, they pretty much explode. Anyway, great film, with a surprising amount of LOL moments, which I idn't expect. Even Jonah Hill has a minor role. Django and Dr Schulz are badass.

• Upvote 1

Django Unchained

I'm not really a Tarentino fanboy. I like Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown. I'm not all that fussed about the rest, except for Inglorious Basterds and Deathproof, which I haven't seen yet. I think this is the best I've seen so far though. Great cast and characters. From watching it, it didn't feel like a typical Tarentino film, as you don't get to see anyone in the boot of a car, though the gun fights are as you'd expect. When someone gets shot in the head, they pretty much explode. Anyway, great film, with a surprising amount of LOL moments, which I idn't expect. Even Jonah Hill has a minor role. Django and Dr Schulz are badass.

Just watched Django myself and thought it was fucking brilliant. I'm not a big film watcher...at all really, but i'm pretty convinced Tarantino is my favourite...maker of...films.

It didn't seem as all over the place as the others i've seen. A lot more "meat and drink". One thing i would say is, I have NEVER felt so uneasy watching a film, ever. The N-word was used so much i'm not sure if it was way beyond excessive or a stroke of genius because by the end i was hoping for at least another half an hours worth of Django vengeance!!! As much as you could dislike the "baddy" characters, DeCaprio is fucking brilliant in it!

Great film, its long but i would gladly watch again no worries!

Edited by fertuiee

After Earth - One of the slightly better modern films of recent times. Has a touching moment with an Eagle, and its incredible how much Will Smith's kid looks exactly like he did in the Prince of Bel Air era. Im not really sure what the film was trying to say, and i missed the first 10 minutes so i missed the into to it all, but i dont think i missed too much.

I think the basic story is, humans left Earth for a new planet (not sure why), but on the new planet they get hunted b some aliens. Smith plays some soldier who does not get scared, which helps him fighting off some beasts as they prey on the smell of fear. His ship crash lands on Earth and his son has to save the day whilst also fighting off the beast and learning not to be scared. 

Worth a watch id say. 

Just watched Django myself and thought it was fucking brilliant. I'm not a big film watcher...at all really, but i'm pretty convinced Tarantino is my favourite...maker of...films.

It didn't seem as all over the place as the others i've seen. A lot more "meat and drink". One thing i would say is, I have NEVER felt so uneasy watching a film, ever. The N-word was used so much i'm not sure if it was way beyond excessive or a stroke of genius because by the end i was hoping for at least another half an hours worth of Django vengeance!!! As much as you could dislike the "baddy" characters, DeCaprio is fucking brilliant in it!

Great film, its long but i would gladly watch again no worries!

I agree. I always want to dislike DiCaprio, because of tosh like Titantic and whatever else he did earlier in his career, when he was teen-girl-bedroom-wall fodder. He's been great in alot of stuff in recent-ish years though. 'Catch Me If You Can' being my favourite of his. His character was excellent. And Samuel L played a great bumbling sidekick. I don't think I've seen him play a character like that before.

I was sad Dr Schulz died. He was so cool, but his death was fitting, as he turned and expected to be shot. So badass.

For a bit of perspective, I watched Reservoir Dogs straight after it. I've only seen it once before, and thought it was okay. That opinion still hasn't changed. It feels like a whole lot of nothing really happens. I like how unhinged Madsen's character is, but little else.

Also, why does Nice Guy Eddie die at the end? It's a 3 way stand off. Joe shoots Orange who is already dying. So White shoots Joe. Eddie shoots White. Nobody shoots Eddie, but he dies anyway.

Edited by Joda Serk

I agree. I always want to dislike DiCaprio, because of tosh like Titantic and whatever else he did earlier in his career, when he was teen-girl-bedroom-wall fodder. He's been great in alot of stuff in recent-ish years though. 'Catch Me If You Can' being my favourite of his. His character was excellent. And Samuel L played a great bumbling sidekick. I don't think I've seen him play a character like that before.

I was sad Dr Schulz died. He was so cool, but his death was fitting, as he turned and expected to be shot. So badass.

For a bit of perspective, I watched Reservoir Dogs straight after it. I've only seen it once before, and thought it was okay. That opinion still hasn't changed. It feels like a whole lot of nothing really happens. I like how unhinged Madsen's character is, but little else.

Also, why does Nice Guy Eddie die at the end? It's a 3 way stand off. Joe shoots Orange who is already dying. So White shoots Joe. Eddie shoots White. Nobody shoots Eddie, but he dies anyway.

DiCaprio was also great in Shutter Island. LOVE that movie.

xx

• Upvote 1

After Earth - One of the slightly better modern films of recent times. Has a touching moment with an Eagle, and its incredible how much Will Smith's kid looks exactly like he did in the Prince of Bel Air era. Im not really sure what the film was trying to say, and i missed the first 10 minutes so i missed the into to it all, but i dont think i missed too much.

I think the basic story is, humans left Earth for a new planet (not sure why), but on the new planet they get hunted b some aliens. Smith plays some soldier who does not get scared, which helps him fighting off some beasts as they prey on the smell of fear. His ship crash lands on Earth and his son has to save the day whilst also fighting off the beast and learning not to be scared. 

Worth a watch id say. 

After Earth is fucking awful - and I love sci fi films, but this is just piss poor.  I thought it bombed at the cinema, but IMDB has an After Earth 2 on it's listing, hopefully that's just because a fanboy has put it up.

Haha my brain is still mashed from the Australian and Tarantino playing a cockney!! ( possibly Australian ) :) Been years since i saw Res-dogs, has to be well worth another scan!!!.

Dr Shultz is probably Tarantinos best character, im gonna do Halloween as dr Shultz. Yes.

Mr White is meant to have shot Eddie too.

Yes this, Mr White shoots Joe, then points his gun at Eddie and the two of them shoot each other.

Anyway, I watched Django Unchained last night. Found it quite enjoyable if a little bloated. Good acting from all involved, and while Tarantino includes a few nods to spaghetti westerns and the likes, its nice that he mostly lets the story tell itself rather than fill it with film nerdy camera shots and sound cues trying to make it look like a period piece. He was getting way out there for a while, he's definitely reigning it in and becoming a more mature and accomplished film-maker. Schulz was ace but I liked Waltz a lot more in Inglorious Basterds. He's a charismatic fucker isn't he? Samuel L Jackson was brilliant too.

Films written and directed by Tarantino in order of good:

1 - Pulp Fiction
2 - Kill Bill part 1
3 - Inglorious Basterds
4 - Jackie Brown
5 - Django Unchained 
6 - Kill Bill part 2
7 - Reservoir Dogs
8 - Death Proof

I feel bad for Death Proof. I did like it, but when Grindhouse flopped and he had to pad it out with all the deleted stuff it ruined it. So many over-long boring scenes. It also worked so much better as a double feature because after watching the ridiculous Planet Terror and seeing all the spoof trailers, Death Proof goes with the spirit of it. Stick the film on on it's own however and it's a pretty stupid film.

True Romance wasn't directed by him but an awesome film that is up there on my list.

Absolutely. Even if it was directed by Tony Scott, who I normally hate. I would love to have seen Tarantino's take on Natural Born Killers as well. I still don't know what the hell Oliver Stone was doing with that film. What a fucking mess.

Fucking love Tarantino me. Everything he has made is worthwhile. Order of preference is tricky but mostly -

1 - Kill Bill Part 1

2 - Pulp Fiction

3 - Kill Bill Part 2

4 - Inglorious Basterds

5 - Django Unchained

6 - Reservoir Dogs

7 - Jackie Brown

8 - Death Proof

Usually watch the Kill Bills in quick succession, different in pace but both essential. PF probably has to pip Part 2 though.

The only Tarantino film I ever loved was Kill Bill part one but then the last time I watched it I kind of hated it. I never liked part 2 nor understood the hype for Pulp Fiction. I did like Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown but only seen each one once along time ago and might just keep it that way in case I change my mind on those too. Of his more recent work the only one which has interested me is Django and I probably will give it a shot sometime. 

The only Tarantino film I ever loved was Kill Bill part one but then the last time I watched it I kind of hated it. I never liked part 2 nor understood the hype for Pulp Fiction. I did like Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown but only seen each one once along time ago and might just keep it that way in case I change my mind on those too. Of his more recent work the only one which has interested me is Django and I probably will give it a shot sometime. 

RD is still good, but its nowhere near as ambitious as his other films. It was made on a tiny budget, seemingly so small the cast were all wearing their own clothes. Have a look at Inglorious Basterds if you haven't seen it, it's really good.