aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest idol_wild

There was an interview with a deluded Newcastle fan on BBC's FA Cup programme last night: he intimated that he'd rather watch his side lose 7-6 than draw or win with an ugly performance.

What an idiot.

There was an interview with a deluded Newcastle fan on BBC's FA Cup programme last night: he intimated that he'd rather watch his side lose 7-6 than draw or win with an ugly performance.

What an idiot.

Yeah, imagine going to a game and hoping to see loads of goals, the guy must be mental.

What an idiot.

Unfortunately we have a lot of those... every club as a substantial mong quota in their fanbase, ours is waaaay above average. Just watching and listening to some of them on Sky Sports News, Jesus Christ... "I think Mike Ashley should take the job with Gazza as his assistant," without a hint of irony. Says it all really...

Unfortunately we have a lot of those... every club as a substantial mong quota in their fanbase, ours is waaaay above average.

I was in Newcastle on a stagger last August. We hadn't anticipated being able to get into the match (Newcastle's first home game of the season, against Aston Villa), but surprisingly managed to get tickets, right at the very top of the stand.

We had dinner booked for half seven, so we had to leave before the end of the game. We were clearly dressed up for a night out and you would expect people to realise that that was the reason we were leaving. Despite this, one clear mong was chanting "Geordie unfaithful" at us as we left. :down:

40 to see one of the worst matches ever as well, 0-0.

to be honest, theres a lot of times at Pittodrie, when at the time i'd rather lose 7-6 than a 1-0. obviously at the end of the day its cold hard 3 points for a dire win, but if your forking out 20 at a time, i know which one i'd rather see.

footballs a results business i know. but as a sport its meant to be entertaining.

to be honest, theres a lot of times at Pittodrie, when at the time i'd rather lose 7-6 than a 1-0. obviously at the end of the day its cold hard 3 points for a dire win, but if your forking out 20 at a time, i know which one i'd rather see.

footballs a results business i know. but as a sport its meant to be entertaining.

if you want entertainment in sport then watch the WWE.

"Entertainment" in football is the worst post-Sky TV attitude ever to have arisen. It's not enough to win a game anymore, you're expected to win it with flair, verve, excitement and other such bollocks that the part-time fan suddenly expects.

worst of all are the people that use it as an excuse for not going to the games. Fuck off to the cinema instead or stay in and watch sky then, I say.

there's 38 league games and numrous cup & friendlies a year - to expect "entertainment" in all of these is surely hoping for too much.

Guest idol_wild

I'm actually a huge fan of tactical, defensive football - so 7-6 scorelines are bad news to me all round.

In fact, I'd rather win 1-0 than win 7-6!

Football is sometimes like a game of chess. And I like that quality to it.

'Mon the KK :up:

Oooo controversial. Don't think you'll find much support for racist organisations on this forum.

before Russell Anderson, I genuinely can't remember the last time we got paid a fee for the privilege of taking one of our players. Normally we punt them away on a freebie and give em a hefty payoff to boot. Now we get 200large for Clark? Tremendous! The Championship clubs clearly have more money than sense.

We've already replaced him for free (with Stuart Duff) - now let's see JC use some of his new-found dollar to tie up Lee Miller on a new deal.

Congrats to Newcastle, btw. I think they've appointed the right man for the job. He's the only guy in memory (perhaps excepting bobby Robson) who has looked capable of managing the strangest club in Britain. Good luck to him.

Love from Christy

I'm actually a huge fan of tactical, defensive football - so 7-6 scorelines are bad news to me all round.

In fact, I'd rather win 1-0 than win 7-6!

Football is sometimes like a game of chess. And I like that quality to it.

I'm an armchair fan nowadays, so my opinion doesn't count, but when I used to go to Pittodrie (65-late 90s, bar a few seasons playing amateur league) I used to enjoy goals. The celebrating was a heap of fun, so the more goals the merrier. I also liked to watch clever attacking players....but in the 60s/70s there were lots of skilful forwards up against vicious defenders......nowadays it's probably the other way round, so I doubt I'd enjoy it so much :)

*don't think I've much of a point....sorry!*

if you want entertainment in sport then watch the WWE.

"Entertainment" in football is the worst post-Sky TV attitude ever to have arisen. It's not enough to win a game anymore, you're expected to win it with flair, verve, excitement and other such bollocks that the part-time fan suddenly expects.

worst of all are the people that use it as an excuse for not going to the games. Fuck off to the cinema instead or stay in and watch sky then, I say.

there's 38 league games and numrous cup & friendlies a year - to expect "entertainment" in all of these is surely hoping for too much.

o_O o_O

stop speaking shit. The only reason people start kicking a football around, or playing any sport is for fun.

'"Entertainment" in football is the worst post-Sky TV attitude ever to have arisen.'

what exactly are you trying to say here? That people never went to football matches to be entertained before Sky TV? I don't expect entertainment in every single game of the year by the way. But if for example, the recent 1-1 down at Gretna. If you gave me the option of trawling to the other end of the country, to sit in the freazing cold in a half empty stadium, for overpriced tickets to sit and watch an absolutely DIRE game of football and come away with one point against the bottom team in the league OR to have went down and seen an end to end game with both sides leading at some point, couple of feisty tackles and sending offs, nerves absolutely jangling all the way through with some cracking goals - i know which option would present the better day out for me.

If this makes me an 'armchair' supporter or not a real enough football fan then so be it, although given that I've probably spent close to a grand following the Dons in the last 12 months i don't think that is the case.

For the record I wouldn't rather that happen every game of the season for obvious reasons. But if Aberdeen had produced good attacking and creative displays over this festive period and picked up only a couple of points I'd be feeling a lot more positive about the rest of the season than i am right now. Perhaps the difference is in what we class as entertaining - to me its players giving it their all and showing a strong desire to go and win the game. Keeping things tight at the back is also an art that i enjoy watching too, but for sure its the goals that are the highlights.

But remember the example was a 7-6. ie a once in a lifetime happening. i'd have to question the sanity of someone who'd rather watch another shitty 1-0 win over ICT than one of those.

before Russell Anderson, I genuinely can't remember the last time we got paid a fee for the privilege of taking one of our players. Normally we punt them away on a freebie and give em a hefty payoff to boot. Now we get 200large for Clark? Tremendous! The Championship clubs clearly have more money than sense.

Love from Christy

What I want to know is where Hibs keep finding all these promising youngsters. 2m for Fletcher, 4.4 for Brown, 2m for O'Connor, half a mill for Sproule, 2m for Whittaker, 1.5m for Murphy, plus they should have got cash for Riordan and Killen.... we need to be feeding our youngsters whatever Hibs are feeding theirs!

For me, good defending is every bit as enjoyable as "exciting" attacking play. One of the most impressive sides I've seen was Italy at Euro 2000 when they played 5 at the back just to fit in Maldini, Cannavaro and Nesta, and still played Cristiano Zanetti in front of them. The way they operated both as individuals and as a virtually flawless unit was just incredible. I'd rather have watched that side win 1-0 than see Holland or Spain win 6-2.

I'll sum up my views on the matter with this:

He fucking deserved it.

It's positivity vs negativity, I suppose. I can admire defensive virtuosity, but if it's Cruyff or Best vs Maldini or Nesta then i'd plump for the former (although one lot pitting wits against the other is fascinating...but I'd want the attackers to triumph...probably because my own game was a 'tackle from behind/chop 'em up in the air style, before all that was banned...none of your dribbling in your own penalty area shenanigans!).

what exactly are you trying to say here? That people never went to football matches to be entertained before Sky TV?

Certainly nobody seemed to complain about having to be "entertained" before they suddenly discovered The premier League was "the greatest league in the world".

I've probably spent close to a grand following the Dons in the last 12 months i don't think that is the case.

It's obviously not making you happy then - stop going to so many games and go drinking, whoring or whatever every Saturday.

But remember the example was a 7-6. ie a once in a lifetime happening. i'd have to question the sanity of someone who'd rather watch another shitty 1-0 win over ICT than one of those.

Give me the 1-0 win if it qualifies us for Europe. Give me the shit scary 1-1 draws in Dnipro.

Certainly nobody seemed to complain about having to be "entertained" before they suddenly discovered The premier League was "the greatest league in the world".

It's obviously not making you happy then - stop going to so many games and go drinking, whoring or whatever every Saturday.

Give me the 1-0 win if it qualifies us for Europe. Give me the shit scary 1-1 draws in Dnipro.

a) bollocks - evidence? i do agree that Sky has a lot to do with peoples estimation of the Premiership which in reality is a league as dull as fuck for 90% of its games. but to say that before Sky TV came that no-one cared about being entertained is quite frankly laughable. If anything Sky TV has made more people care about solely results, as the money it has injected into the game as made failure unthinkable, thus promoting defensive, ugly, 4-5-1 style of football. which is neither attractive in an attacking or defensive manner and just nullifies any chance of entertainment - but hey, makes them difficult to beat.

b) over the course of the season it does make me happy. some times i do wonder why though.

c) fair point, and of course i would too. but give me a 7-6 against gretna over a 1-1.

someone who knew how to play a bit of football once called it 'the beautiful game'.