aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keegan's been confirmed as the "new" Newcastle manager apparently.

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Newcastle United | Keegan in shock Newcastle return

Cool!

We might get some good matches against Liverpool.

The 4-3 game was the best club match ever on telly, with that indelible image of Keegan hanging over the advertsing hoardings with the life drained out of him when the 4th (Collymore?) went in.

Calderwood now has 200,000 to spend from the sale of Chris Clark to Plymouth. Trained with them today and he will be playing for them on Saturday.

Very good bit of business I would say...:up:

Good luck to him though.

Good news, just hope the money doesn't go towards someone like Scott Dobie...

If Clark is worth 200k with 6 months to go on his contract, Caley should hold out for 3 million for John Rankin.

How come Hibs get totally inflated fees for average players?? Kevin Thomson = 2million, Whittaker = 2million, Murphy = 2.5 million!!?!

Our biggest sales have been 50,000 for Barry Robson (who's now worth 2million apparently) and 100,000 for Mark Brown.

Very one-sided arguement tbh, focusing on all of the negatives and none of the positives... no mention of the fact that he took us from the brink of the old Third Division to second in the Premiership :up:. Yeah, I'm not living in the past...

I do have a couple of reservations (given his tactical mongness and temperament) but I can't but be really excited at the moment. He'll get more time than Sam as he is Mike's appointment and very popular with the fans, and he'll at least play the players in their right bloody positions. I'm a big fan of Sam Allardyce and if he was given time I do think he'd have been a success, but he played players in stupid positions (Zog at fullback when we've got a 6.5m LB sitting on the bench, Oba on the wing, Smith in midfield, Milner on the left) and tried to get us playing a formation that we clearly lacked the players for. He was far too slow to react to what he was doing wrong, which I'm very surprised by because I do think he's a terrific manager.

Keegan will galvanise us in the short term, no doubt about that... hopefully he'll have the presence of mind to bring in a creative midfielder, a right winger and a couple of defenders, then we should be able to make a decent push for a top 10 finish. The style of player doesn't bother me too much, I'd rather play boring winning football than sexy losing football (the whole "Newcastle would rather lose 5-4 than win 1-0" thing is bullshit btw) BUT I am looking forward to hopefully seeing a bit of invention from our players once again.

'Mon the KK :up:

then we should be able to make a decent push for a top 10 finish.

Having sacked Allardyce while 11th!

Good luck to KK though, I have a soft spot for Newcastle, Keegan always comes across as a genuinely nice bloke and it's always good to have "characters" in the game instead of boring McClaren/Roeder types.