aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

Guest idol_wild
For me, good defending is every bit as enjoyable as "exciting" attacking play. One of the most impressive sides I've seen was Italy at Euro 2000 when they played 5 at the back just to fit in Maldini, Cannavaro and Nesta, and still played Cristiano Zanetti in front of them. The way they operated both as individuals and as a virtually flawless unit was just incredible. I'd rather have watched that side win 1-0 than see Holland or Spain win 6-2.

I'll sum up my views on the matter with this:

He fucking deserved it.

And Greece when they won Euro 2004. Tactically flawless in almost every single match. A well-drilled side who knew exactly how to contain opponents and hit them with a set-piece or counter-attack. I was in awe. I love smash 'n' grabs!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's ace, the guy who delivered the justice was on for a move to Celtic until they binned the idea of another Rafael Scheidt incident :p

Kerlon is a cracking footballer though. He's a lot more than just the "seal dribble"

To be honest I've nae seen much of him other than that; I just have a deep seated resentment of players that attempt things like that.

That challenge has probably been surpassed by Giorgio Chiellini man marking Ibrahimovic in the last Juve-Inter game. The perfect mix of intelligence, technique and sheer brutality. Reminded me of Paolo Montero. Especially when he somehow managed to disguise punching Ibrahimovic square in the face while winning a header. Brought a tear to my warped eye :p

Somehow doubt Sunderland would be in the trouble they are if they'd signed him when the rumours were around.

my fondest memory of watching newcastle play was when they visited the abbey stadium to play cambridge in the old second division back in 1984 - we had gone over 30 games without a win (33 i think it was in the end) and the newcastle team featured keegan, beardsley and waddle and were gunning for promotion whilst we were already well relegated.

a young andy sinton scored with a penalty after 6 mins and we hung on for dear life to win 1-0, by the way we celebrated after the game you'd have thought we'd won the european cup! the faithful geordie travelling support just looked bemused!

I have a MOTD video from 94 or something- their 30th anniversary one and there is a fantastic game between Newcastle and Arsenal where Malcom MacDonald scored a few in. It was for Arsenal I think as he just moved from Newcastle(or the over way round).

Brilliant game though.

It'll have been from Newcastle to Arsenal. Supermac... complete legend, bit of a cockend though. Still, he scored the goals and that's what matters.

my fondest memory of watching newcastle play was when they visited the abbey stadium to play cambridge in the old second division back in 1984 - we had gone over 30 games without a win (33 i think it was in the end) and the newcastle team featured keegan, beardsley and waddle and were gunning for promotion whilst we were already well relegated.

a young andy sinton scored with a penalty after 6 mins and we hung on for dear life to win 1-0, by the way we celebrated after the game you'd have thought we'd won the european cup! the faithful geordie travelling support just looked bemused!

Andy Sinton is a poor man's Ruel Fox ;)

Back in the 2001/2002 season I was following Fraserburgh in the Highland League. I went to every home game and a few away games. We lost the first game of the season 8-0 to Deveronvale before finding our stride and turned into the most silky, attacking team in the league. Our manager Charlie Duncan stated "I don't care if we lose 8 goals, as long as we score 9", and most of the games I was at were high scoring, especially at home though we struggled a little away. The home games all seemed to be 3-2, 4-2, 5-3, 6-4 etc. It was the most exciting season I've ever followed and we won the league for the first time in 64 years, with a stunning last game away win 2-1 at Cove Rangers (I was there, party! Yus!). It was heart in the mouth stuff all the way, and much better than sitting through boring 1-0 after boring 1-0.

2001-02 P W D L F A Pts

1 Fraserburgh 28 20 4 4 71 36 64

2 Deveronvale 28 19 4 5 68 27 61

3 Buckie Thistle 28 15 8 5 51 27 53

Great days but we've done fuck all since.

Back in the 2001/2002 season I was following Fraserburgh in the Highland League. I went to every home game and a few away games. We lost the first game of the season 8-0 to Deveronvale before finding our stride and turned into the most silky, attacking team in the league. Our manager Charlie Duncan stated "I don't care if we lose 8 goals, as long as we score 9", and most of the games I was at were high scoring, especially at home though we struggled a little away. The home games all seemed to be 3-2, 4-2, 5-3, 6-4 etc. It was the most exciting season I've ever followed and we won the league for the first time in 64 years, with a stunning last game away win 2-1 at Cove Rangers (I was there, party! Yus!). It was heart in the mouth stuff all the way, and much better than sitting through boring 1-0 after boring 1-0.

2001-02 P W D L F A Pts

1 Fraserburgh 28 20 4 4 71 36 64

2 Deveronvale 28 19 4 5 68 27 61

3 Buckie Thistle 28 15 8 5 51 27 53

Great days but we've done fuck all since.

Deveronvale are scum.

And Greece when they won Euro 2004. Tactically flawless in almost every single match. A well-drilled side who knew exactly how to contain opponents and hit them with a set-piece or counter-attack. I was in awe. I love smash 'n' grabs!

What about South Korea in 2002? They did brilliantly well with pretty limited players - they were just so well organised. Though Italy did get robbed when they played them... which made it even more enjoyable.

I got bored and went to the Partick game today. Woof! Whit a side! Liam Buchanan's getting man-marked on Tuesday night... by a sniper.

Couldn't go because of a hangover today, but all reports I've heard were positive.

Roll on Tuesday!

Still seething a bit because East Stirling bust my 136 acca today. Bah!

:up:

sounded like we got pumped today :down:

Thats a polite way of putting it. Langfield (Clangers) gifted them the first goal, Although if it was Souter or anyone else in goals then we would have been completly fucked.

I wonder where Lovell will be playing next season, as it won't be with us. He did nothing to suggest that he will be offered a new contract. 2 strikes at goal in 90+ minutes and i dont think Lovell had one. Just not good enough for a striker. Barry Nicholson's pen miss is possibly the worst penelty i have ever seen. If he's waiting for offers from other clubs then that wont help his cause.

It seems like every away game i come home and post up how bad the Dons performed again. Fuckin disgusting. By far the worst Aberdeen performance i have seen in a very long time. Gretna on boxing day was better!!!

We really have to start playing better or we'll all be even unhappier!! If thats possible!!!o_O

Dunfermline 0-1 St. Johnstone

Upset of the day, without a shadow. Let's get the shooting boots on for Tuesday...

:up:

Aye, it was pretty bitter. Apparently Burch's penalty is vying with Nicholson's for horror moment of the weekend. And Big Jim rattled the bar.

I would be worried for Tuesday, but hell... it's the cup... :up:

After a dire 0 - 0 draw with a Bolton side determined to play a hideous form of anti-football it's off to the Emirates on Saturday with our ridiculously depleted squad... Shola Ameobi for England!

Anyone going to Pittodrie tomorrow night? Got my tickets today, should be spectacularly dire.