aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really, given that the Henry transfer and the Bent transfer happened within weeks of eachother. So we're speaking about the same transfer climate. .

Maybe the same climate, but completely different situations. One is undoubtedly a world class player, but also one who is coming to the end of his career and whose best form is behind him, as subsequent events have shown.

No way would I try to defend the Bent purchase, but it was a completely different situation, young player, coming into his best years, decent goalscoring record with crappier team etc. In terms of comparisons I would say perhaps Yakubu to Everton was a fairer one in terms of where their careers were. With Henry you could make a comparison with Schevcenko.

Maybe the same climate, but completely different situations. One is undoubtedly a world class player, but also one who is coming to the end of his career and whose best form is behind him, as subsequent events have shown.

No way would I try to defend the Bent purchase, but it was a completely different situation, young player, coming into his best years, decent goalscoring record with crappier team etc. In terms of comparisons I would say perhaps Yakubu to Everton was a fairer one in terms of where their careers were. With Henry you could make a comparison with Schevcenko.

the whole transfer thing has gone way out of control. but the clubs themselves are just being ridiculous especially the rich ones. why sign huge money for strikers approaching their 30th birthdays??? (e.g. shevchenko and henry). bent at 16 million beggers belief as does 8 million for hutton. clubs could learn a lot from the shrewd dealings of arsne wenger, i'm sure there must have been a couple but i can't think of an overpriced signing whose flopped in wengers nearly 12 years in charge

Guest idol_wild

I still think Henry would have been class for three more years in the EPL. It was never a good move for him to go to Barca in my eyes. But to pay 16.5m for Bent is insane. I had him down as maybe a 6m striker. At most. He's seriously fucking limited.

I still feel comparing the prices of Henry and Bent is a fine example to indicate how wasteful Spurs were with the signing of Bent.

I take your point regarding Yakubu though. He's a funny player. He looks utterly useless, then two minutes later he'll pull something out of the bag. Similar level to Bent, though distinctly more mercurial! Yakubu will always score goals; Bent will not.

The same could be said for Fergie though, can you name the last player to flop at Man U? Fergie has an eye for young talent and manages to get the best out of his players. He signs youngsters who are showing promise and moulds them into world class players, look at what he's done for Ronaldo, Rooney, Anderson, Ben Foster, Nani et al, and they're still managing to bring through their own youngsters which isn't easy in this day and age. Of the current squad, Neville, Brown, Scholes, Fletcher, O'Shea, Bardsley and Evans have all come through the academy, and although I can't justify this claim but I would suggest that that's probably more than the rest of the "Big 4" have in their squad. Plus 7 Englishmen in the starting XI, puts the rest of the big 4 to shame, and most of the rest of the Premiership probably, and it'll probably go up to 8 once Foster is fit again.

BTW I'm not a Man United fan, but I think Fergie is a legend :up:

The same could be said for Fergie though, can you name the last player to flop at Man U? Fergie has an eye for young talent and manages to get the best out of his players. He signs youngsters who are showing promise and moulds them into world class players, look at what he's done for Ronaldo, Rooney, Anderson, Ben Foster, Nani et al, and they're still managing to bring through their own youngsters which isn't easy in this day and age. Of the current squad, Neville, Brown, Scholes, Fletcher, O'Shea, Bardsley and Evans have all come through the academy, and although I can't justify this claim but I would suggest that that's probably more than the rest of the "Big 4" have in their squad. Plus 7 Englishmen in the starting XI, puts the rest of the big 4 to shame, and most of the rest of the Premiership probably, and it'll probably go up to 8 once Foster is fit again.

BTW I'm not a Man United fan, but I think Fergie is a legend :up:

do agree about fergie although he had a period a few years ago when he signed some duffs such as veron and that awful italien keeper whose name i forget. but his track record speaks for itself. also its interesting that quite a few of his old players such as keane, hughes and bruce have gone into management. as has his boy darren an all!

Plus 7 Englishmen in the starting XI, puts the rest of the big 4 to shame.

Maybe a tad ambitious!

English starters if fit:

Neville or Brown

Ferdinand

Hargreaves or Carrick

Scholes

Rooney

So 5 max really! Foster will make it 6 soon, but long term Scholes will be gone for Anderson.

Still having 5 or 6 english players in their regular starting line up is definatly commendable.

much as i admire wenger as a manager his disregard of home grown players (and i mean from the UK and Ireland as 'home grown') is a disgrace. apart from hoyte and walcott, i think he has a couple of young fringe players who were on the bench against burnley and thats it.

Good call. I'm also tempted to say John Hartson, but he could have been there before Wenger...

Richard Wright, JA Reyes, Pascal Cygan, Sylvinho, van Bronckhorst - all brought in by Wenger for big bucks, all absolutely ding at Highbury.

Can't blame Wenger for Hartson though!

Love from Christy

do agree about fergie although he had a period a few years ago when he signed some duffs such as veron and that awful italien keeper whose name i forget. but his track record speaks for itself. also its interesting that quite a few of his old players such as keane, hughes and bruce have gone into management. as has his boy darren an all!

Fergie's had his fair share of howlers. The aforementioned Veron and Taibi, Kleberson, Bellion, Forlan...

Love from Christy

I've just stuck 20 on a very poor Hibs side to beat the in-form ICT on saturday...

2 reasons:

Curse of the Manager of the Month Award. Niculae will probably get injured as well :down:

_44347148_brewniculae270.jpg

and

Hibs get the new manager boost

_44346288_mixu_203.jpg

Easiest 50 i'll ever make? ?(

I was gonna add Hibs on my accumulator but way I see it Hibs will get beat because Mixu's first game in charge at SPL level. I just don't think he will dramatically change Hibs overnight. 2-1 Caley I think.

Falkirk favourites to win according to bet365:down:

Although I can see us having a good game now that the whole contracts thing has been half sorted.

I was gonna add Hibs on my accumulator but way I see it Hibs will get beat because Mixu's first game in charge at SPL level. I just don't think he will dramatically change Hibs overnight. 2-1 Caley I think.

Falkirk favourites to win according to bet365:down:

Although I can see us having a good game now that the whole contracts thing has been half sorted.

If Hibs hadn't appointed a new manager and we hadn't got Manager and Player of the month, my money would've gone on a Falkirk win and a ICT draw.