aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

I'm away to give that 33 1/3 series ONE last chance and read the Double Nickls On The Dime one.

They're hit and miss really. Some are just pretty much biographies (Neutral Milk Hotel), some are cringe-inducingly earnest or personal (Replacements/The Smiths) but some are genuinely insightful and entertainign reads (ABBA/Magnetic Fields).

I just finished The Exploits and Adventures of Brigadier Gerard and can't think of better way to describe it than the quote from the book cover:

"Splendid entertainments...touched with genius" George McDonald Fraser

I'm trying to read Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment but it's proving tricky! It's going to take me a while!

It's definitely worth sticking with it, one of my favourite novels.

It was very slow going for me at the beginning too. It took me ages to get my head around all the long russian names. Once I really got into it I rattled through it, I read the second half in the fraction of the time I spent on the first half of the novel.

It's definitely worth sticking with it, one of my favourite novels.

It was very slow going for me at the beginning too. It took me ages to get my head around all the long russian names. Once I really got into it I rattled through it, I read the second half in the fraction of the time I spent on the first half of the novel.

Cool. I will definitely stick to it. I just feel like it takes 10 minutes to read each page! :laughing: But yeah, the long names and all the Russian things that can be checked at the back takes its time!

Guess I just haven't read a testing novel for a long time! I suppose that's what uni does to you!

They're hit and miss really. Some are just pretty much biographies (Neutral Milk Hotel), some are cringe-inducingly earnest or personal (Replacements/The Smiths) but some are genuinely insightful and entertainign reads (ABBA/Magnetic Fields).

You haven't read the 'If you're feeling sinister' one have you? I was toying with buying it but having already read the rather fantastic 'This is just a modern rock story' biography by Paul Whitelaw, I'm not sure if it's going to really offer me anything I don't already know.

You haven't read the 'If you're feeling sinister' one have you? I was toying with buying it but having already read the rather fantastic 'This is just a modern rock story' biography by Paul Whitelaw, I'm not sure if it's going to really offer me anything I don't already know.

It was the last one I read actually. It was good actually although some of it would probably be unnecessary biography I'd imagine. Still worth reading though. Scott Plagenhoef is good writer (or maybe I'm just asying that because he likes B&S, Orange Juice and Dexys)

I just bought Bertrand Russells "Why I am not a Christian" - It's fantastic, not difficult to read at all, so eloquent and logical...I think I'll read the bible next (or the edited books that Penguin did (Nick Cave doing the Intro to Armageddon))... One essay (do we survive death?) was written in 1930 and it's amazing the foresight he has over certain aspects of science...(he "sort of predicted" that electrons are not particles, using this as a way of showing that science can have "fundamentals" that are still under scrutiny, which doesn't weaken "science", but strengthens it....good read for all you blasphemous brethren out there.

I quite enjoyed "This is just a modern rock story" even though it did paint Stevie Jackson as a right miserable bastard.

They're hit and miss really. Some are just pretty much biographies (Neutral Milk Hotel), some are cringe-inducingly earnest or personal (Replacements/The Smiths) but some are genuinely insightful and entertainign reads (ABBA/Magnetic Fields)

I just read the Replacements one today, and I don't know if I enjoyed it really.I wasn't expecting to be so personal and not give any real details about the creation of the songs or making of the record.