aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Just finished Making History by Stephen Fry - excellent read, and a great story woven from an admittedly pretty obvious premise. Recommended.

Nearly done with Down and Out in Paris and London. Very interesting, and not always for the reasons Orwell presumably intended.

I'm currently reading 'Riot Grrrl!: Revolution Girl Style Now!' which is a rather brilliant history of Riot Grrrl music and culture and The Journals of Sylvia Plath 1950-1962 which is utterly fascinating.

That sounds really interesting, I'm a big fan of Riot Grrl, I'll have to check that out.

I've somehow got 5 books on the go at the moment that I'm alternating between depending on my mood.

Liquid Kids - Scott G Buchan

The Damned United - David Peace

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea - Jules Verne

Quintessential Tarantino - Edwin Page

The Profession of Violence: The Rise and Fall of the Kray Twins - John Pearson

I'm currently reading 'Riot Grrrl!: Revolution Girl Style Now!' which is a rather brilliant history of Riot Grrrl music and culture and The Journals of Sylvia Plath 1950-1962 which is utterly fascinating.

I bought that Riot Grrrl book as a Christmas present, but I never had a sneaky peak. I should buy myself a copy.

I'd enjoy the Sylvia Plath journals as well no doubt.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
Just finished Liquid Kids. Very good indeed, highly recommended. Read Irvine Welsh's If You Liked School... short stories before that; mostly average, except for the Kingdom of Fife one. It was great.

Liquid Kids is the last book I read.

High recommendation from me also.

Look forward to more books by Scott Buchan!

:up:

I just read the first and last pages of this thread, so da ken if it's been brought up already, but does anyone read any Christopher Brookmyre? He's had one of his books recently made into a TV programme - possibly his worst one in my opinion - starring James Nesbit, called "Quite Ugly One Morning". I'd totally recommend some of his ones They're all easy reads, mostly crime with lots of "black" humour. It's probably quite "Scottish" humour though, if you know what I mean.

Read:

"Not The End of the World"

"One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night" and

"The Sacred Art of Stealing"

They're my favourites.

i love chris brookmyre, read quite ugly one morning, boiling a frog, it's not the end of the world and be my enemy

ive been reading like a beyatch so far this year, all scottish fiction...adam bissett's the incredible adam spark (been meaning to read it for ages), dough johnstone's the ossians (dad got it for my xmas, cracking book, the lead singer in the band does a drug deal in the drummond's toilets :L) and almost finished iain banks' whit (it's one of his weird ones, but very good nonetheless)

if anyone's talked about the aforementioned books before, i'm sorry, i couldn't really be arsed reading through 65 pages of thread!

also, did anyone see the travesty that was itvs adaptation of quite ugly one morning?

i could ignore the fact that james nesbitt's parlabane was irish as he was an otherwise good choice of actor but the rest of it stank! that dude fromt he bank adverts playing what was supposed to be a young ned (sorry, chav, he was english) and the unexplained dissapearance of plot, tension and, most importantly, humour from the novel...pah! fucking itv

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished "All Over But the Shouting" which is a biography of the Replacements. Paul Westerberg is a total cock. Two examples of which:

[Replacements co-founder and guitarist] Bob Stinson had just gotten out of rehab for alcohol addiction and onstage Westerberg handed him a bottle of champagne and said "either you take a drink or get the fuck off my stage." At which point, Stinson broke down crying. Bob Stinson was sacked for his drink and drug problems.

After one show towards the end of the Replacements, an eager fan handed Westerberg a demo tape of his band, which Westerberg accepted. The fan then watched the band get on their tour bus, and saw Westerberg tapping on a window and opening it. He then handed the fan one end of the tape from the cassette and proceeded to tell the driver to go, thus letting the tape stream out of the broken cassette.

Cock.

Currently reading Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.

I adored Moab Is My Washpot. It did nothing but fuel my Stevie love :D

I've recently finished 'Submarine' by Joe Dunthorne and 'The Vesuvius Club' by Mark Gatiss (I sort of abandoned it for a while, then got back into it.)

Currently ploughing my way through 'The Devil In Amber', also by Gatiss and Neil Gaiman's 'The Graveyard Book'. I've been recommended Gaiman's stuff by a number of people, hoping to get my hands on a cheap copy of Coraline as it's been the one I've heard most good stuff about.

'Moab is my washpot' made me want to call up Stephen Fry and ask him out for for Afternoon Brunch. Not that I wouldn't have wanted to do that already :D

I'm kind of the the same with 'The Vesuvius Club'. I halfway through but I haven't touched it for almost a year. I was enjoying it greatly so I'm not sure why I stopped reading it in the first place. I recently went to the signing for 'Black Butterfly' at Waterstones in Aberdeen. He was really nice and was happy to answer all my Doctor Who/League/morbid horror questions.

I've made it a life mission to give the Fry a hug one day!

I was at the signing too! He spelt my name wrong in my book though. Doh. I also got him to sign a book for my sister after telling him that she thinks Kitty Backlash is the greatest name for a character ever and she wants to call her daughter that :laughing: He wrote "Go for Kitty!" in her's.

Very lovely man!

I'd advise going back to the Vesuvius Club. It was pretty good, but I can't help but feel it might not have been published if it wasn't written by him... The Devil In Amber is fantastic so far though. I think I'm a bit in love with Lucifer Box. Damn fictional bisexual spies! :D

I'd advise going back to the Vesuvius Club. It was pretty good, but I can't help but feel it might not have been published if it wasn't written by him... The Devil In Amber is fantastic so far though. I think I'm a bit in love with Lucifer Box. Damn fictional bisexual spies! :D

Are you talking about the comic? Is there a novel version? Inform me!

If it's the comic you're talking about - I thought it was a bit pish, didn't even finish it...

I too would love to give Fry a hug.

My boyfriend and I were sat directly on front of Gatiss during the Q&A (probably seen rocking back and forth subconsciously with glee).

I got a photo with him and he gave me a tomato (some guy gave him a pot of tomatoes, which is obviously a reference that went over my head). Extremely charming man.

3124039866_e39b3ce754.jpg?v=0

Did you watch Crooked House on BBC4 at Christmas time? It was brilliant!

Aww, that's a brilliant photo! I was there alone (this seems to be a recurring theme of my posts recently :laughing: ) or else I woulda got someone else to get a photo of me and him.

I missed Crooked House! My freeview signal's been crap since the start of January, so could never watch it THEN my computer had a nervous breakdown so I couldn't even watch on iPlayer... Must youtube it! Thanks for the reminder.

Are you talking about the comic? Is there a novel version? Inform me!

Yeah, they're all novels. The Vesuvius Club, The Devil In Amber and Black Butterfly. Been reading some more. I think I'm preferring The Devil In Amber to the Vesuvius Club.