aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

At moment I'm reading Dean Koontz's "Frankenstein, Book 1: Prodigal Son" because I wanted a popcorn book after reading more Dostoyevsky than my brain could handle. It's hardly a masterpiece but it's a fun story and I'm absolutely flying through it. Thinking about a bit of Kerouac when I'm finished.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who does literature>popcorn>literature sandwiches :up:

Currently on popcorn - The Drowning Man by Michael Robotham. Pretty good, quite similar to Dennis Lehane.

I am currently reading 'The Late Hector Kipling' by David Thewlis.

Only a few pages in, but I suspect I am going to enjoy it...favourite quote so far - "...to say that he's getting on my nerves doesn't do it justice; he's finding footholds on every f**king synapse".

That's been quite literally staring at me from my bookshelf for months, do update here when/if you finish :)

Two thumbs up to The Death of Bunny Munro by Nick Cave. Got right through it in a few days and I'll definitely be getting his first to read.

Read 'Rubyfruit Jungle' by Rita Mae Brown, one of those books that turns up everytime I see a list of essential 'lesbian' reads. It was pretty much popcorn, which was nice after the Cave book, and I got through it within a couple of hours. Molly, the 'heroine' of the piece, was a bir arrogant but I warmed to her. Not a bad wee thing but I don't know if I'll turn up any more of R M Brown's work unless I'm away on holiday somewhere.

Currently reading Sarah Water's 'The Night Watch' and enjoying it so far!

After this I'm going to read Woolf's 'Orlando' for the first time.

Just finished 'The Iron Dream' by Norman Spinrad, mental parallell universe/alternative history based SF, which postulates that Hitler emigrated to the USA after the failure of the Munich putsch, and became an SF writer. So TID contains Hitlers last novel 'Lord of the Swastika' and a 'historical' note at the back. Its just what you would expect if Hitler had written a post-apocalyptic tale of True Humans in a world full of degenerate mutants, full of hyper stylised violence, uniform fetishism and bad wisdom.

Yes I think I shall be keeping my copy for future re-reads. I'm nearing the end and have had a good few chuckles to myself on the train....

I finished this over the weekend. I've read a number of reviews slating it, particularly the latter half, but I loved every minute of it. I love David Thewlis.

Silence.

I've been trying to read a new book every week this summer and I'm doing alright so far. I've been cheating a little bit by reading a few novellas/shorter books due to time constraints, but I think I've still managed to work through a decent pile of stuff. So far I've covered:-

"Child of God" - Cormac McCarthy (**** - not as good as "The Road", but still deeply unsettling. I think McCarthy could write a 1,000 page beast about someone going to the shop to buy a packet of fags and it'd still be incredible)

"Old Man and the Sea" (again) - Ernest Hemingway (***** - my favourite piece of literature ever)

"A Moveable Feast" - Ernest Hemingway (**** - don't read this if you like stories. A bit of a slow-mover (despite it's length) but some of his descriptions of Paris are amazing)

"To Have and Have Not" - Ernest Hemingway (*** - not his best and there are definitely some major structural issues, but the ending was ace)

"The Sound of My Voice" - Ron Butlin (***** - a truly astonishing book from a great Scottish writer. It's about the demise of an alcoholic and it's written from a second-person perspective, which makes it pretty scary)

"Sawbones" - Stuart MacBride (* - 100 pages of shite)

"Frankenstein, Book 1: Prodigal Son" - Dean Koontz (** - a decent popcorn book, not sure if I can be bothered reading the next one)

"Notes From the Underground/The Double" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky (*** - it didn't really resonate with me as it maybe should've. Perhaps I should read it again.)

"The Spy Who Came in From the Cold" - John le Carre (***** - great spy thriller, and a very elegant writer)

I'm about to get cracking on Ayn Rand's "Anthem" (because it's short as hell and it'll help me decide if I ever want to tackle "Atlas Shrugged" or "The Fountainhead"), and then I'm gonna go for another Hemingway book ("Fiesta") or Steinbeck's "Cannery Row".

Also been reading an ebook of "The Count of Monte Cristo" at work. About 400 pages in. It's ace.

• Upvote 1

Ron Butlin is a pretty good writer.

As far as Hemingway goes, his longer fiction is patchy; some if it is brilliant and in particular the descriptive passages, some of it is just remarkably slow and repetitive. His short stories are fucking genius though, so I'd recommend getting a collection of those if you haven't already.

I'm trying to decide what to read next...

Ron Butlin is a pretty good writer.

As far as Hemingway goes, his longer fiction is patchy; some if it is brilliant and in particular the descriptive passages, some of it is just remarkably slow and repetitive. His short stories are fucking genius though, so I'd recommend getting a collection of those if you haven't already.

I'm trying to decide what to read next...

The ending of Farewell To Arms is the closest i've come to crying from a book, but I kept the womanly wibbling in.

Finished "Anthem". It was pretty decent all-round, only took about an hour to read. I'm not sure that if I can dig the whole "capitalist" thing enough to check out any of her other books yet, but I enjoyed this one.

Just started "Cannery Row" today and it's off to a promising start. Hope to have it wrapped up by tomorrow.

I'm reading One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night by Christopher Brookmyre. It's OK but I think having read a few of his I'm tiring of him a bit.

Also reading Is Belief in God Good, Bad or Irrelevant? which is a series of e-mail exchange between Greg Graffin PhD (singer of Bad Religion, lecturer on Life Sciences and firm believer in Naturalism) and Professor Preston Jones who is a Christian Historian (and Bad Religion fan). Naturalism Vs Christianity etc.

I'd recommend it to anyone:

Is Belief in God Good, Bad or Irrelevant?: A Professor and a Punk Rocker Discuss Science, Religion, Naturalism & Christianity: Amazon.co.uk: Preston Jones: Books

Going to read Daniel Defoe's Moll Flanders next...

Read one of the Sookie Stackhouse books after watching True Blood. Enjoyable enough and I can picture reading more of them as I get through them quickly enough and am a sucker for a decent vampire book (Twilight saga excluded).

Now reading The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson and enjoying it a great deal!!