aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

I've been trying to read a new book every week this summer and I'm doing alright so far. I've been cheating a little bit by reading a few novellas/shorter books due to time constraints, but I think I've still managed to work through a decent pile of stuff. So far I've covered:-

"Child of God" - Cormac McCarthy (**** - not as good as "The Road", but still deeply unsettling. I think McCarthy could write a 1,000 page beast about someone going to the shop to buy a packet of fags and it'd still be incredible)

"Old Man and the Sea" (again) - Ernest Hemingway (***** - my favourite piece of literature ever)

"A Moveable Feast" - Ernest Hemingway (**** - don't read this if you like stories. A bit of a slow-mover (despite it's length) but some of his descriptions of Paris are amazing)

"To Have and Have Not" - Ernest Hemingway (*** - not his best and there are definitely some major structural issues, but the ending was ace)

"The Sound of My Voice" - Ron Butlin (***** - a truly astonishing book from a great Scottish writer. It's about the demise of an alcoholic and it's written from a second-person perspective, which makes it pretty scary)

"Sawbones" - Stuart MacBride (* - 100 pages of shite)

"Frankenstein, Book 1: Prodigal Son" - Dean Koontz (** - a decent popcorn book, not sure if I can be bothered reading the next one)

"Notes From the Underground/The Double" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky (*** - it didn't really resonate with me as it maybe should've. Perhaps I should read it again.)

"The Spy Who Came in From the Cold" - John le Carre (***** - great spy thriller, and a very elegant writer)

I'm about to get cracking on Ayn Rand's "Anthem" (because it's short as hell and it'll help me decide if I ever want to tackle "Atlas Shrugged" or "The Fountainhead"), and then I'm gonna go for another Hemingway book ("Fiesta") or Steinbeck's "Cannery Row".

Also been reading an ebook of "The Count of Monte Cristo" at work. About 400 pages in. It's ace.

Just bought this off Amazon for 4p (plus postage). :up:

Good call. It's a great wee book.

Reading 'Hella Nation' by Evan Wright and greatly enjoying it. A collection of re-worked articles from his time at Hustler/Rolling Stone/Vanity Fair about the outcasts and underbelly dwellers of the US.

Previously read the first two books by Stieg Larsson and am impatiently waiting for the last in the trilogy which comes out in October!!

I'm reading One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night by Christopher Brookmyre. It's OK but I think having read a few of his I'm tiring of him a bit.

Yeah, I've found myself tiring of Brookmyre as well, although I'm still persevering with him for some reason. One Fine Day... was the first of his I'd read, and I literally couldn't put it down, read it in one night (back in the days before working got in the way) and spent much of the time pissing myself with laughter. Some of the later books got a bit too political for my liking.

I've been working my way through Shakey, a biography of Neil Young, by Jimmy McDonough for quite a while now. It's tough going so I find myself dipping in and out of it.

I've got a Dylan book to follow that, then a couple of Danny Wallace ones before I fire into the new Brookmyre.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished The Great Gatsby the other night and it was pretty much perfect. Fitzgerald's prose is incredibly poetic and hypnotic, and it wasn't anywhere near as stuffy as I thought it would be. A very accessible and easy-to-read classic.

Just started Saul Bellow's Seize the Day. Looks good so far.

I finished The Great Gatsby the other night and it was pretty much perfect. Fitzgerald's prose is incredibly poetic and hypnotic, and it wasn't anywhere near as stuffy as I thought it would be. A very accessible and easy-to-read classic.

Spoiled for me by being made to read it at school when the only thing I was interested in was Metallica and tits. Might give it a shot as an adult.

I read that quite recently, it's awesome. The other stories are as good as the first so you have some good reading to look forward to :up:.

The past couple of weeks I've been re-reading a few of my favourite novels, just finished One Hundred Years of Solitude and The Great Gatsby. Reading A confederacy of Dunces just now.

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I'm reading Reheated Cabbage by Irvine Welsh. It's a collection of short stories and stuff he had published before he was well known. It's not all up to the standard of his novels but there are some gems in there.

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I'm reading Reheated Cabbage by Irvine Welsh. It's a collection of short stories and stuff he had published before he was well known. It's not all up to the standard of his novels but there are some gems in there.

Likesay :laughing:

I'm currently reading Angels of Death about the international crime networks of the Hell's Angels and the Bandidos. it's a very good read.

Seize the Day was pretty cool and not as ridiculous as some of the existential stuff I've read over the past year or so. I'll probably go back to it soon.

I've just started GB84 by David Peace which is a semi-fictionalised account of the miner's strike. It's been a pretty interesting and informative read about an important part of British social history thus far, and I like the way he writes. Short, snappy, and to-the-point. That must be where the Ellroy comparisons come from.

I fancy checking out another Kurt Vonnegut book after this. Anyone have any suggestions? I read Slaughterhouse-5 last year and thought it was fantastic but I've not tried any of his other books yet. Had my eye on Breakfast of Champions and Timequake.

I fancy checking out another Kurt Vonnegut book after this. Anyone have any suggestions? I read Slaughterhouse-5 last year and thought it was fantastic but I've not tried any of his other books yet. Had my eye on Breakfast of Champions and Timequake.

I'd suggest 'Cat's Cradle', it's possibly my favourite of his. Out of the two you have your eye on, go for 'Breakfast of Champions' it's great while 'Timequake' is probably his weakest novel imo.

Great book. I'm actually looking forward to the film since I found out John Hillcoat is directing and Viggo Mortenson starring. I have high hopes. I don't know if you've read other books by him but I recommend 'Blood Meridian'.

Cheers! Also, for your information, that Nick Cave book, 'The Death of Bunny Munro', is now out.

I've decided that I need to read a few more classics before I start tutoring/subbing classes, so I've started 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Bronte. After which I'll be reading Dickens.

Cheers! Also, for your information, that Nick Cave book, 'The Death of Bunny Munro', is now out.

I've decided that I need to read a few more classics before I start tutoring/subbing classes, so I've started 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Bronte. After which I'll be reading Dickens.

I started Wuthering Heights a while ago but I struggled to get into it and it's been sitting with a bookmark in the same place for a few months now.

I'm revisiting some of the old Stephen King books I read when I was a teenager. I'm currently getting stuck in to "Different Seasons", which is four novellas and includes Shawshank Redemption and The Body (which was later made into the film Stand By Me).