aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Started 'Guided by Voices: A Brief History: Twenty-One Years of Hunting Accidents in the Forests of Rock and Roll' by Jim Greer yesterday. I do love GBV, but I've never really known much about them, so should be interesting...

Finished this the other day. Now love GBV or, more specifically, Robert Pollard more than I ever imagined.

Disobeyed my self-imposed book-buying-ban (hyphens and alliteration turn me on) and picked up a copy of Ian McEwan's 'On Chesil Beach' for 1 in a charity shop the other day. Have heard it's pretty good, but short, so will get started on it.

One day I'll get round to finishing this Tony Visconti autobiography...

Just about to start reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

I keep forgetting to pick up a cheap copy from somewhere, but I'll read it someday. Enjoy.

Started (and will probably finish) the Pirates! In An Adventure With Whaling by Gideon Defoe today. It's very funny, highly recommended, along with the rest of his Pirates! books (including An Adventure With... Scientists, Communists and Napoloeon).

Also picked up a copy of 'The Fallen' by Dave Simpson, all about the ex members of the Fall, to further my bands-I-like-but-know-nothing-about experience. I will start it tomorrow.

Stole a copy of Ian McEwan's 'The Innocent' from work too. I say 'stole', I asked if I could have one and they said yes, but you've gotta pretend to be a rogue at every opportunity these days...

I keep forgetting to pick up a cheap copy from somewhere, but I'll read it someday. Enjoy.

Started (and will probably finish) the Pirates! In An Adventure With Whaling by Gideon Defoe today. It's very funny, highly recommended, along with the rest of his Pirates! books (including An Adventure With... Scientists, Communists and Napoloeon).

Also picked up a copy of 'The Fallen' by Dave Simpson, all about the ex members of the Fall, to further my bands-I-like-but-know-nothing-about experience. I will start it tomorrow.

Stole a copy of Ian McEwan's 'The Innocent' from work too. I say 'stole', I asked if I could have one and they said yes, but you've gotta pretend to be a rogue at every opportunity these days...

3.86 in Asda. I'm quite liking it so far. I didn't realise it was part of a trilogy. I must admit the only reason i'm reading it is because i saw a program about the film version and i thought it sounded good.

3.86 in Asda. I'm quite liking it so far. I didn't realise it was part of a trilogy. I must admit the only reason i'm reading it is because i saw a program about the film version and i thought it sounded good.

I found it slow to start with all the talk of Swedish business etc, but it was great once it got going...I'm reading the follow up at the moment, 'Girl Who Played With Fire', and it's even better IMHO, straight down to business.

Pre-ordered the paperback of 'Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest' off Amazon for 3.86 with free delivery so I imagine that will be read next.

You should get Mark E.Smith's 'auto-biography', 'Renegade' it's ace, just slags off loads of folk who piss him off.

It's also on my list :) I was slightly put off at first because a friend who is a massive Fall fan was disappointed by it, but I think he just has ridiculously hard-to-meet expectations.

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest is out on paperback today. So is, I'm informed, a book about N-Dubz. Clearly a wonderful day for literature.

It's also on my list :) I was slightly put off at first because a friend who is a massive Fall fan was disappointed by it, but I think he just has ridiculously hard-to-meet expectations.

Yeah, if you are looking for a definitive history of The Fall as told by MES it's not in this book...it follows roughly chronological order apart from the opening chapter which lays straight into the band who abandoned him and his missus on tour in Amaerica...it's pretty damn funny though.

Just finished reading "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer, I really enjoy his fictional work and the topic is one that highly holds my interest. I'd read Fast Food Nation, The Omnivore's Dilemma, The China Study etc. beforehand so it didn't really tell me anything I didn't know already, but it was a much lighter and enjoyable read than the others which while informative are a little heavy on the facts and figures. This was written much more colloquially and although there's still a lot of interesting data in it (the reference section in the back is a little on the heavy side) it was presented much more informally and in layman's terms which definitely makes it a lot more accessible than a lot of other texts on this subject. Also, despite being written by a vegetarian, it wasn't particularly biased and was sympathetic to the plight of the farmers and others working in the industry rather than demonising them. Covers all bases too, nutrition, welfare, environment, economics

Definitely would recommend it, along with his two novels; Everything is Illuminated and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. :up:

• 2 weeks later...
Currently glued to The Little Drummer Girl - John Le Carre

The first of his that I've read having pilfered my Dad's bookshelves. The writing and the characters are excellent. A really intricate, detailed plot. I think I'm in love. :love:

We've got all his books if you want to borrow any.

Currently reading "Reefer Madness" by Eric Schlosser. I'm quite interested in the working of the Black Economy and this is meant to be a really good insight into it but I don't really like it thus far. I will update this if it picks up.

I read 'Bright Earth; the Invention of Colour' by Philip Ball, 1st History of Art book I've read since I graduated nearly 6(!!) years ago. About the development of pigments, mainly artists pigments, but also dyes and printing tech, very good indeed.

Nearly at the end of the 3000 page voyage that is the Baroque Cycle; best series ever.