aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

• 3 weeks later...

Got all these ready to go - guess where I've been recently...:up:

Long Walk to Freedom - Nelson Mandela

The Rise and Fall of Apartheid - David Welsh

Foul!: The Secret World of FIFA: Bribes, Vote Rigging and Ticket Scandals - Andrew Jennings

More Than Just a Game: Football v Apartheid - Prof. Chuck Korr, Marvin Close

New iPhone kind of distracted me from reading Brookmyre on the train and it ended up I couldnt be arsed going back to it so now reading 'The Amateurs' by John Niven, which is pretty good. Bedtime reading is 'Bad Vibes' by Luke Haines, which is pretty good also, he has equal opportunity hatred for almost everyone involved in British music in the mid-90's. I couldn't stand the guy at the time but I did like the 2nd Black Box Recorder album, now investigating The Auteurs back-catalogue...

1st Auteurs album is ace, esp 'Idiot Brother' and its sinuously lovely guitar hook.

Aye that album was my first port of call, enjoyed it so have the next 2 on order. Also finally got around to getting the other 2 Black Box Recorder albums, God bless Amazon...only ever saw the 3rd one in One Up 2nd hand but priced at a ridiculous amount....

After a bit of a break from reading novels, due to The Sopranos, The World Cup, laziness, I today started to read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I have high expectation after hearing so many good things about it.

I just got a whole load of books from a friend who is moving back to the US and can only take so many with him. Free stuff, yay! :up:

After a bit of a break from reading novels, due to The Sopranos, The World Cup, laziness, I today started to read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I have high expectation after hearing so many good things about it.

I just got a whole load of books from a friend who is moving back to the US and can only take so many with him. Free stuff, yay! :up:

I am 50 pages from the end of The Road. It's very bleak but thoroughly enjoyable.

Just finished 'The Fallen' by Dave Simpson. A great read where he tracks down ex members of The Fall.

I'm really struggling to read this, I've just been finding it quite disappointing so keep putting it away and then stubbornly returning to it weeks later.

I just found that, athough it's not badly written, it has so much filler in it that it reminds me of how I'd write essays in sixth year, by throwing in unnecessary information just to bulk them up a bit. Also, the whole Karl Burns thing is clearly a way of him trying to get you to continue reading, but just isn't interesting enough to hold my attention.

I'm currently reading I Am A Cat by Soseki Natsume. My last flatmate left it behind when he moved out and I admittedly only really started reading it as I absolutely love cats and am really missing our cat. I'm enjoying it but just pick it up now and then as I think it reads better as separate short stories (it doesn't read as much more than a loosely connected string of anecdotes otherwise). But hey, it's got an adorable, witty (if slightly smug), unwanted (aww) kitten as the main character so I'm pretty happy :) .

• 2 weeks later...

Properly started reading Stewart Lee's 'How I Escaped My Certain Fate: The Life and Deaths of a Stand-Up Comedian' today. I'd began reading it at work, but have gone back to the start. I'm not even a fifth of the way through and can already tell that it's probably the only book on stand-up comedy I'll ever need to read.

I have him singing 'That's How I Escaped My Certain Fate' stuck in my head though.

Finally got round to reading 1984 by Orwell, finished it today. Fantastic as expected. Any particular recommendations for which one to go for next?

Next up is 'The Satanic Verses' by Salman Rushdie.

If you liked 1984 then I also recommend 'Brave New World' and 'Fahrenheit 541'.

Satanic Verses.... don't bother. Really, you will be bogged down with this pile of shite for weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished East of Eden which I think is one of the finest and most complete novels I've ever read.

Moved onto Stuart MacBride's Flesh House for my trashy page-turner fix. It did the job. That's the fourth one of his I've read and I keep going back to them so there must be something, beyond being based in Aberdeen, that I like about him. He definitely has a distinctive wrriting style, although it is not particularly good.

Started reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins last night and as expected I am quite enjoying it. Give me a week and I'll be ready for dinner parties.