aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

It's by Graham Spiers... Enough said! I'm glad he doesn't write for The Herald anymore! :up:

It's true, he is a fud. Reading the book reminded me why I hate the smug little fucker so much in the first place.

I'm onto "Choke" by Chuch Palahniuk now. It's OK but nowhere near as good as Fight Club. The premise of it is entirely unbelievable.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Steven Dedalus
Just finished the graphic novel "Watchmen".

What an absolutely stunning book / comic.

I hear the movie's coming out next year. There's absolutely no way the Hollywood treatment is ever going to do it justice. This is a must read. (I've been putting it off for about 10 years because I'd gone off comics... how stupid of me.)

It is jaw-droppingly good, isn't it?

I once had the opportunity to interview Alan Moore, but it fell through at the last moment. I've been kicking myself ever since...*

*not literally, of course.

Guest Steven Dedalus
Continuing my new-found love of comic novels, I've started reading 'Maus' by Art Speigelman.

The Holocaust with Mice, cats and pigs...... Pretty good, if a little sad.

They've actually started teaching it in American schools.

Finished 'Bit of a Blur' by Alex James the other day. Was good, but poorly written with lots of emphasis on being famous seen in the excessive use of the phrase, "When you're famous, [insert name of pub/club/country/city here] is where you have to go if you want to be seen."

Still think he's ace though. Happy being posh.

Am now about halfway through On The Road by Jack Kerouac. Been meaning to read it for ages to see if it is "literary genius" as many have said or "overrated" as my dad says.

Finished 'Bit of a Blur' by Alex James the other day. Still think he's ace though..

I find him totally unbearable, the worst type of celebrity jack-of-all-trades: column in the Guardian, Have I got news for you guest, Johnathon Ross guest, cheese maker, radio 4 host, 'judge' on some shitty Ch4 talent show, writer..

I find him totally unbearable, the worst type of celebrity jack-of-all-trades: column in the Guardian, Have I got news for you guest, Johnathon Ross guest, cheese maker, radio 4 host, 'judge' on some shitty Ch4 talent show, writer..

True, he is everywhere and can be a bit of a knob, but I like the fact that he's quite content just sitting around making cheese. :laughing:

1) kerouac does not suck, he is the shiz...as it were

2) that'd be cormac mcarthy...of "no country for old men" fame

3) i am busy reading this funny/tragic/romantic/sweet memoir by a rolling stone journalist called "love is a mix tape" and it's well worth a read, however i am also ploughing through charlie brooker's "dawn of the dumb"...i love charlie brooker, his hatred and loathing makes me laugh so hard my testicles hurt!

• 2 weeks later...
Blessed are the cheese makers.

For they shall inherit the BabyBel?o_O

These past few weeks I've read:

No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

Oil! by Upton Sinclair

The Steep Approach To Garbadale by Iain Banks

Flesh House by Stuart MacBride

I'm now in a bit of a Rebus mood so I've gone back to Knots and Crosses and going to read the entire Rebus back catalogue

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Idiot

How is it? :) I have never read any of his stuff but I have heard that one in particular would be a useful one to read because it was influential (and a good book anyway).

Right now I am trying to read "You'll Never Walk Alone: Ein Fussballmusikroman" by Florian Weber.