aberdeen-music

Social Network Hall of Shame

Soda Jerk

Obviously nobody has an issue with anyone doing anything for charity, but the correlation between a "no-makeup-selfie" and Cancer is very unclear. I don't see the link between the two. The majority of these photographs I have seen don't even mention anything about raising awareness for Cancer, so I can only assume plenty are missing the point as this trend starts to spread.

If people are going to do it, and post info about raising awareness and where folk can donate, then I see no issue with that. But a lot of these pictures seem to be just bait for their mates to comment, to tell them how gawjus they look with no slap on, or something.

I proper can't stand the word "selfie".

• Upvote 1

The majority are just jumping on the latest FB bandwagon and in doing so actually trivialising what they proclaim to promote. Of course this is just my opinion and I'm as entitled to opinion that as anyone else is to make broad assumptions about folk by what they post on FB and displaying strangely inflated self-opinion.

If people are going to do it, and post info about raising awareness and where folk can donate, then I see no issue with that. But a lot of these pictures seem to be just bait for their mates to comment, to tell them how gawjus they look with no slap on, or something.

This is three people that have done it on my newsfeed:

No make up selfie - I almost never wear make up anyway

Thanks XXXX for my bare faced nomination in order to support cancer awareness week. I nominate

Thank you for the nomination xxx heres me with no make up for breast cancer awareness

none of them had a link to a cancer charity.

To be fair, I think that if one person sees one of these no-make up photos and donates money to charity, then it's worthwhile. However, I do prefer it if people were more inclined to post photos of their dinner/pets, as that is what Facebook is really about. I find my newsfeed being clogged up with constant links to articles about Scottish independence much more irritating than this current selfie campaign.

Selfies = annoying

Moaning about selfies = annoying

Justifying selfies = annoying

Boasting about donating instead of taking a selfie = annoying

Making jokes about everyone talking about charity and selfies = annoying

... wedding hashtags = acceptable

Edited by ca_gere
  • Upvote 4

I've only seen a couple of these selfies on my facebook but it looks like a backlash to the backlash has led to some people donating money to try and prove it was worthwhile. So it looks like it has turned out okay even if I find the original premise quite strange.

This and claiming some sort of justification due to actual cancer survivors posting pics of their scars. Now thats brave.

It'l be #masectomyscarmonday soon.

As with anything on social networks it always inevitably comes full circle back to narcissism. Yes raising awareness is good but the majority of people posting pictures of themselves are doing it for their own feeling of self-worth. Then those on the other side who feel the need to comment on the phenomenon are mostly doing so to try distance themselves from the masses, in the hope that people see them as superior in some way.

• Upvote 1

It'l be #masectomyscarmonday soon.

As with anything on social networks it always inevitably comes full circle back to narcissism. Yes raising awareness is good but the majority of people posting pictures of themselves are doing it for their own feeling of self-worth. Then those on the other side who feel the need to comment on the phenomenon are mostly doing so to try distance themselves from the masses, in the hope that people see them as superior in some way.

The worst ones are the people who want to look that little bit more superior by using pop psychology to have a dig at both sides....

• Upvote 1

The no-make-up-selfie thing was pretty depressing (srsly? it's a big deal to not wear make-up? That's not indeed the default?) but did indeed appear to work...

I think the backlash to the original selfies did most of the work as far as raising cash goes.

However, everyone gets to feel good about this one - the seekers and their photos, the misanthropes that moaned about it - and most importantly the Cancer Research people. 

• Upvote 1