aberdeen-music

Social Network Hall of Shame

Soda Jerk

Its also not what has happened. The selfies started off as a donation to cancer research thing, the message then got a bit lost in the middle before it came back. It was never started just for people to post up pictures with no make up. It was started with good intentions, and it has delivered fantastic results, i really cannot understand anyone who would not back this campaign, anything at all that raises money for cancer research is a good thing.

Its also not what has happened. The selfies started off as a donation to cancer research thing, the message then got a bit lost in the middle before it came back. It was never started just for people to post up pictures with no make up. It was started with good intentions, and it has delivered fantastic results, i really cannot understand anyone who would not back this campaign, anything at all that raises money for cancer research is a good thing.

It winds me up that some people seem to want a pat on the back for donating to charity.  If you've got spare money give what you can, if you can spare the time get involved. But don't ask for a round of applause.

It's great that Cancer Research got a million quid from this - it's fucking shameful that for a lot of these people it's probably the only donation they'll make this year. 

Camerons Facebook

Edited by colb

I'm all for these viral campaigns to raise money for charity - I'd like it if some other charities ever got the same kind of attention that cancer research does, but given it's so prolific and has touched so many lives, it's not surprising that cancer campaigns are the most popular.

It pisses me off a great deal that this is another fucking cancer campaign that completely excludes men, though (the other big one being the race for life). Fucking Movember has women contribute by being Mo Sistas (whatever the fuck that is) but anything breast cancer related seems to have a "no boys allowed" rule to it which is pretty fucking disappointing given that one of the big messages they're trying to get out there is that men can get breast cancer, too!

It's also pretty sad that a woman being seen with no makeup on is some kind of shocking social rebellion...

xx

The no makeup thing is an interesting topic, because on the surface, you think it's no big deal, since people aren't born wearing makeup, but for a lot of people, it's a real issue. I used to live with a girl at Uni who was an absolute honey, but she loved the fake tan. She described herself as having 'tanorexia' and wouldn't be seen without it and with her hair and makeup done. Not even by her boyfriend of several years. As I say, this was a good looking girl who was clever, funny, popular and had everything going for her, but she was so nervous about her appearance that she wouldn't be seen without her tan done and makeup on. I find it very hard to understand, because I don't give a fuck about how I look, but it's worrying how many people feel the pressure to look a certain way all the time.

Ultimately tho, they put photos of their coupons on the internet and as a result, some cash went to charity. To me, it's no biggie what the motivation was, because the end result was a positive one.

• Upvote 3

The thing that pissed me off was that they were "raising awareness for cancer" - no, you're either donating to a charity, supporting the sufferers or supporting cancer research.  At no point did they provided information on how to check for cancer, details on the rarer cancer or highlighted any recent breakthroughs, so the word "awareness" shouldn't be used.

And saying "yeah, but you're talking about it"  - it's me saying that your No-Make Up Selfie for Cancer Awareness isn't actually raising awareness, which does not count.

It's fantastic that they are now including screenshots of their donations as well as linking to local cancer charities or Cancer Research UK.  The intent was good, but the cunts just taking a selfie and saying it's them "doing their bit" are the same as those fuckers who "like" a status thinking it counts as a contribution to a cause.

• Upvote 1

Good on her :) There was one lass who posted a link on how to do it properly, but she was one of three who actually linked to the cancer research uk donation page.

The rest were all just going on about how mad it was that they had no make up on... so my wee rant came from those cunts.  

Is it just me who's a bit skeptical about charities and non-profit organizations? I know in the states at least that a lot of them pretty much run like any other corporation - filled with greed and mismanagement. This million pounds goes towards 'cancer research'... but that maybe just means 'paying everyone's salary' so they can continue doing fuck all. Seriously, is there a breakdown of exactly what your money is contributing to? The whole non-profit schtick in the US is notoriously corrupt... e.g. companies having two branches of operation, one for profit, the other a charity which gives them huge tax breaks and other benefits. I'm sure money gets siphoned off for capitalist gains all over the place.

I'm not trying to be controversial/troll-like, I just think there's a general sense that all charities = good, but i'm not sure that's always the case. I'd never give money to a charity unless I knew exactly what my money was doing. 

• Upvote 1

Not at all, I've seen quite a few folk on twitter point out the animal testing done for cancer research...

Animal testing done in the name of cancer research might be required. I think testing new drugs/treatments directly on people is a fool hardy to say the least.

It's one thing to blind a rabbit whilst testing a new shampoo, it's another thing to kill an animal searching for a cure to a terrible disease.

Animal testing done in the name of cancer research might be required. I think testing new drugs/treatments directly on people is a fool hardy to say the least.

It's one thing to blind a rabbit whilst testing a new shampoo, it's another thing to kill an animal searching for a cure to a terrible disease.

I'm sure that legally you have to test drugs on animals in the UK?

Let's get this thread back to its real meaning.

Just got home to see this on my new feed.

Can someone please answer this for me I would really like to know none of your smart comments as they are not useful!!! What have I done to deserve all this bad crap in my life just seems to be one thing after another all I ask is some good stuff to happen to be honest really starting to get sick of it now and before all you people think I'm trying too get attention get it up you or if you don't like my posts you know what to do don't you !!! Please give me advise and point me in the right direction