aberdeen-music

Social Network Hall of Shame

Soda Jerk

No make-up selfies to raise awareness of breast cancer.

I was just about to post this. Why are people trying to raise awareness of something that most people are very much aware of, and if they aren't they are probably part of the world's population that don't have access to technology never mind Facebook.

I had a moan about the whole bra colour and the various other shite that they have used, although at least they are telling you what it's for as opposed to the cryptic and stupid bra colour one.

Bunch of cynical bastards. So what if people are doing something to bring it back to the front of peoples minds, surely ANYTHING that raises any awareness at all in this kind of situation is a good thing?

So what if people are dedicating photos they put up to the people they have lost through a horrible disease?! Its not some kind of competition, they are just dedicating something to people they have lost, whilst at the same time keeping this topic active on FB.

Hopefully none of you are ever in the situation where a family member is ill and you try and raise awareness in order to help them and other people with the same illness. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Bunch of cynical bastards. So what if people are doing something to bring it back to the front of peoples minds, surely ANYTHING that raises any awareness at all in this kind of situation is a good thing?

So what if people are dedicating photos they put up to the people they have lost through a horrible disease?! Its not some kind of competition, they are just dedicating something to people they have lost, whilst at the same time keeping this topic active on FB.

Hopefully none of you are ever in the situation where a family member is ill and you try and raise awareness in order to help them and other people with the same illness. 

You see - I agree with you in terms of this is what it should be about.  But I am very cynical of what a lot of people post on FB - an awful lot of what is on FB is just attention seeking pish.  I've got a cousin who I just had to remove from my FB friends because the shit she posted was just unbearable.  She has a couple of young kids and every single post is about her kids.  There was a spell when her oldest boy was having fits and having to go into hospital now and again.  That is horrible.  Undoubtedly.  And I hope I never have to go through anything like that with my own kids.  But here's an example of a post - I'm paraphrasing:

"Nae fine to go into the dude's bedroom this morning to find him fitting on his bed."

I just don't grasp why you would post something like that on FB other than to try get sympathy and be seen as some sort of martyr for struggling through such a hard time with your son.  Seriously - if you were that concerned about the whole thing you wouldn't have time to post about it on FB just a couple of hours later.  A string of comments follow like "aw hun, hope he's okay".  Yeah, of course we all hope he is okay, but instead of fucking about on FB, just go and look after him.

• Upvote 1

You see - I agree with you in terms of this is what it should be about.  But I am very cynical of what a lot of people post on FB - an awful lot of what is on FB is just attention seeking pish.  I've got a cousin who I just had to remove from my FB friends because the shit she posted was just unbearable.  She has a couple of young kids and every single post is about her kids.  There was a spell when her oldest boy was having fits and having to go into hospital now and again.  That is horrible.  Undoubtedly.  And I hope I never have to go through anything like that with my own kids.  But here's an example of a post - I'm paraphrasing:

"Nae fine to go into the dude's bedroom this morning to find him fitting on his bed."

I just don't grasp why you would post something like that on FB other than to try get sympathy and be seen as some sort of martyr for struggling through such a hard time with your son.  Seriously - if you were that concerned about the whole thing you wouldn't have time to post about it on FB just a couple of hours later.  A string of comments follow like "aw hun, hope he's okay".  Yeah, of course we all hope he is okay, but instead of fucking about on FB, just go and look after him.

Do you think that when she saw her son that her first instinct was to post it on FB, or help him and then post it? 

I do get what your saying, but i see nothing at all wrong with people promoting awareness of Caner Research, no matter how its done. If it leads to them getting extra donations, then its served its purpose.

Do you think that when she saw her son that her first instinct was to post it on FB, or help him and then post it? 

I do get what your saying, but i see nothing at all wrong with people promoting awareness of Caner Research, no matter how its done. If it leads to them getting extra donations, then its served its purpose.

No - her first instinct wouldn't have been to post on FB, but the frequency that these posts used to fill up my newsfeed you wouldn't have been that unreasonable to imagine her picking up her mobile to phone a doctor but quickly updating her FB first or her updating her FB whilst en route to the hospital or something.

It's just constant attention seeking that is all over FB.

My cousin is a lovely girl in real life - just an annoying cunt on FB.

And yes - I agree re: the raising of awareness.  It does no harm to post a selfie or whatever if it raises awareness, and it does no harm if doesn't raise awareness actually.  It's just another inane FB post.  I'm just questioning whether an awful lot of those that do post the selfies are actually doing it because they genuinely want to raise awareness or if it's because they don't want to be the one that isn't raising awareness or they want to be seen to raise awareness with such a selfless act as not wearing make up in a photo.  You know what I mean I'm sure.

That's not to take away from anyone who has lost a family member or is battling with it themselves.  I can't actually relate to that as I've never been through it so I would never question their actions on such matters because it really isn't fair to do so.