aberdeen-music

Social Network Hall of Shame

Soda Jerk

This cat story has been built up so much now there's no way it can be anything but a disappointment. But here you go.

A few weeks ago I took pity on a little black and white stray that's always in my garden and started putting out food for him. Then a few days ago (after I pulled out all those weeds and branches) I looked out and there were two near-identical cats. And I decided I'd probably been seeing two the entire time and not realised. Then a couple days later I looked out again and there were four black and white cats. And now they all just sit in a row and stare at me, like Village Of The Damned. Is this the creepiest thing you've ever seen?

10306397_10152165893840382_3074414104837

10336754_10152167672715382_2901520784685

• 3 weeks later...

Do blogs count as 'social networks'? I didn't think this was new thread worthy, but these guys are a bunch of fannies.

http://takechargeedinburgh.wordpress.com/2014/07/20/184/

3rd best band in Aberdeen.

As an aside, I think this is a good example on how Aberdeen-Music is no longer a hub for discussion of local music any more. I came home from work to find this shared by a multitude of friends, and one post had over 300 comments. Here it has gotten a sly message in a non-music related thread.

I should add that of course Aberdeen-Music is not redundant, as I am aware that it has plenty of traffic, so posting about releases and upcoming gigs is still beneficial. Folk here just don't really talk much about local bands much.

Edited by Jan

Yeah they dont really say anything wrong tbh. Who cares if they think a lot of themselves? Its not hurting anyone. All they have said about the scene up here is the same thing everyone says if your in a band that is of limited appeal to the general public. You get upset when not every man and dog you meet wants to hear your kind of music. 

Folk up here are far too touchy when it comes to the precious scene now a days. 

Yeah of course. Christ i used speak far more pish than they have about POO and Stayover. We never got this level of abuse because of it. Its a bunch of young guys, getting excited over playing a few decent gigs out of town and getting an interview done, they have done no harm and have insulted no one. Everyone needs to calm down a bit and let them enjoy themselves. 

Yeah of course. Christ i used speak far more pish than they have about POO and Stayover. We never got this level of abuse because of it. Its a bunch of young guys, getting excited over playing a few decent gigs out of town and getting an interview done, they have done no harm and have insulted no one. Everyone needs to calm down a bit and let them enjoy themselves.

There's plenty of holier than thou folk kicking around that can't/won't do that though. No different opinions allowed here, move along please. Edited by Alkaline

There's plenty of holier than thou folk kicking around that can't/won't do that though. No different opinions allowed here, move along please.

Of course, and we have a few of them on here who have really kicked this off on FB, even to the point of attacking one of the guys who wasnt even involved with the interview. Its quite sad that some folk are getting so upset over a few throw away comments from a young bunch of guys. 

In fairness, everyone slagged off Stayover, it was just pre-social networks so no-one else was privy to it ;)

Of course, and we have a few of them on here who have really kicked this off on FB, even to the point of attacking one of the guys who wasnt even involved with the interview. Its quite sad that some folk are getting so upset over a few throw away comments from a young bunch of guys.

What makes it worse is that it kind of proves their point, some of the comments are very derogatory towards the type of music Oath of Kings play despite said people holding on to some delusion that the scene is diverse and tolerates all sorts. It's the sort of hypocritical bullshit that goes unnoticed through the cliques and back-stabbers.

Of course the whole scene isn't like that by any means and there's some good shit happening around Aberdeen and some people putting a good chunk of effort into what they do. It is devalued by the minority though, which is a shame.

I enjoyed it, it was a very funny read. It's hard enough not to come across like a bit of a fanny in interviews at the best of times, but these guys have managed to make themselves sound quite spectacularly bad.

I think a lot of people shared it because they found it amusing, it's borderline Spinal Tap. Although I didn't bother reading all the comments, there were some very unsavoury attacks made by one individual in particular, in quite a sustained and aggressive way, on the girl in the band, which was really awful and uncalled for.

Edited by girl anachronism

I kept reading, waiting for the bit where they slag aberdeen's scene. Nothing really controversial. Well done for driving traffic to their site though.

They sound arrogant but what young band doesn't?

I'll probably still never listen to their music but I hope the exposure turns into a positive. If not in gaining new fans at least to help the lead singer learn to dial down his 'im nae blowin my own trumpet' saviour of music shtick.