aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

From the images online I got they looked very good and nice to collect. That's one of the reasons I went for the hard copy rather than just digital editions. Although I did get the digital version of the limited edition issue 0 which will keep me going until delivery. I remember thinking about getting them when there were only a couple of issues. I was quite surprised when I went on the website today and saw that there are now 11. 

Yeah, Mata is a good signing but United will still need a CM.

I agree with this. Whilst we all know Mata is great with the footballing, surely Kagawa is a player capable of playing that role and Moyes seems not to be a fan. Perhaps Kagawa is tupping his daughter too? Fellaini (sp?) would be suited to this role too?

A ball winning midfielder is surely more of a priority, some kind of Roy Keane type character... I wonder if Eric Djemba Djemba is still a professional?

Non Champions League cup-tied central midfielder? I can think of a handful that would be useful signings. Cabaye being the first off the top of my head.

I would sign Cabaye + a ball winning midfielder also and forget about Mata.

it's crazy really - looking at Newcastle lining up with a midfield three of Cabaye, Tiote and Sissoko - all of whom would probably get into the United team at the moment.

United do need a CM and a left back, but if Mata is available, United should get him. For alot of reasons, even if he's not strengthening the area United need to strengthen most.

Spending big on one of the best players in the league shows intent. Intent which Moyes hasn't shown yet, and will probably give the team a lift in the way Van Persie did. United didn't necessarily need RVP, but he won United the title. Arsenal didn't really need Ozil as much as they needed a centre forward. But look where they are. Top of the league. He's an unwanted man at Chelsea, and it seems that he wants out. He's too good to pass up.

Also, if Mata signs and if Rooney is off in the summer, then Rooney probably won't need to be replaced, because United would have Mata already. Or on the flipside, Mata could be the kind of signing which persuades Rooney to stay, and allows Rooney to stop playing so deep, freeing him up to get forward and score more goals.

Kagawa, Rooney and Mata behind a centre forward for the rest of the season at least could be excellent, with Januzaj and Nani coming in when needed. Valencia and Young can be flogged, as they are both garbage now. Kagawa still needs to adapt to not playing centrally though, and he's not going to get to play there ahead of Rooney.

The midfield has been neglected so long, that it can probably continue to be neglected, at least for the January window. Fletcher has looked useful since he came back. Phil Jones has been excellent as a brute defensive midfielder. We're still yet to see the best of Fellaini. Carrick is boss, Cleverley and Giggs can fill in when needed. If they sign Mata, even he has played in central midfield before. Good numbers there.  Enough to see United through until May. United have looked okay in midfield, but have been lousy at creating and scoring goals. Mata is a quick fix, and has many years ahead of him.

Buy!

United do need a CM and a left back, but if Mata is available, United should get him. For alot of reasons, even if he's not strengthening the area United need to strengthen most.

Spending big on one of the best players in the league shows intent. Intent which Moyes hasn't shown yet, and will probably give the team a lift in the way Van Persie did. United didn't necessarily need RVP, but he won United the title. Arsenal didn't really need Ozil as much as they needed a centre forward. But look where they are. Top of the league. He's an unwanted man at Chelsea, and it seems that he wants out. He's too good to pass up.

Also, if Mata signs and if Rooney is off in the summer, then Rooney probably won't need to be replaced, because United would have Mata already. Or on the flipside, Mata could be the kind of signing which persuades Rooney to stay, and allows Rooney to stop playing so deep, freeing him up to get forward and score more goals.

Kagawa, Rooney and Mata behind a centre forward for the rest of the season at least could be excellent, with Januzaj and Nani coming in when needed. Valencia and Young can be flogged, as they are both garbage now. Kagawa still needs to adapt to not playing centrally though, and he's not going to get to play there ahead of Rooney.

The midfield has been neglected so long, that it can probably continue to be neglected, at least for the January window. Fletcher has looked useful since he came back. Phil Jones has been excellent as a brute defensive midfielder. We're still yet to see the best of Fellaini. Carrick is boss, Cleverley and Giggs can fill in when needed. If they sign Mata, even he has played in central midfield before. Good numbers there.  Enough to see United through until May. United have looked okay in midfield, but have been lousy at creating and scoring goals. Mata is a quick fix, and has many years ahead of him.

Buy!

Has he? Can they? I think the fact most people would answer no to those questions is the reason their midfield has been considered weak for a long time. Jones doesn't really ever look comfortable in midfield. Like you said before if they have faith in him he should be given a proper run as a first choice centre-back. Cleverly and Giggs should be kept away from the team as much as possible. Giggs has the occasional good game which leads to loads of people saying how he's still amazing at his age but most of the time he plays he is one of the worst players on the pitch. There have been games when bottom half teams have controlled the midfield against United and it's often when Giggs is in the middle. Carrick is the only one that can be relied upon to perform against top sides. Too early to tell with Fletcher yet.

Fuck all this Mata chat. I've just heard that Adam Rooney and fucking JASON SCOTLAND are at Pittodrie for medical a right now.

Source: a mate of mine. No idea where he gets his info but he's normally accurate.

Not sure about the Scotland rumour.  Can't see him at 34 being a better option than is already at the club.  Rooney could be good if it's the player that was at Caley we get and not the one who has been poor in England.

Has he? Can they? I think the fact most people would answer no to those questions is the reason their midfield has been considered weak for a long time. Jones doesn't really ever look comfortable in midfield. Like you said before if they have faith in him he should be given a proper run as a first choice centre-back. Cleverly and Giggs should be kept away from the team as much as possible. Giggs has the occasional good game which leads to loads of people saying how he's still amazing at his age but most of the time he plays he is one of the worst players on the pitch. There have been games when bottom half teams have controlled the midfield against United and it's often when Giggs is in the middle. Carrick is the only one that can be relied upon to perform against top sides. Too early to tell with Fletcher yet.

Giggs has been good most games he's played this season, though he was mostly atrocious last season. He's certainly not amazing, but he bring a calmness, which was vital when Carrick injured a couple of months ago. Cleverley is not United standard, but he's fine for making up numbers and playing home games against relegation fodder. He's pretty shite though, but there's enough there to see United through until summer, when players won't be Cup Tied in the Champions League. It's difficult to buy in January unless a player is unhappy and wants out, which may apply to Mata. Little chance of getting the caliber of midfielder United need in January.

Phil Jones has been very good in midfield when he's played there this season. I don't fancy him there long term, and he really needs to play at centre back, but he's done good infront of the back four, especially at man-marking jobs on key players.

I'll give you that Jones can do a man marking job there but I'm not convinced about him being a good all round defensive midfielder. Perhaps my criticism of Giggs is based more on last season than this. I'll watch him closely next time I see him play there. I still would be shitting it as a Man U fan if he was required to play in the middle against a top team in Europe. 

United have just let their best midfielder go to Fiorentina anyway, idiots. 

I'll give you that Jones can do a man marking job there but I'm not convinced about him being a good all round defensive midfielder. Perhaps my criticism of Giggs is based more on last season than this. I'll watch him closely next time I see him play there. I still would be shitting it as a Man U fan if he was required to play in the middle against a top team in Europe. 

United have just let their best midfielder go to Fiorentina anyway, idiots. 

Absolutely. He's certainly not capable of that level. A good rotation option at best, at least to see United through the next 4 months.

Jones still isn't an all rounder, but he's very young. He looks to get better every time he plays in midfield. I hope it isn't his long term position, but it will help his development as a footballer either way. United certainly need 2 or 3 good midfielders, and they need to ship out Cleverley and Giggs needs to retire. I don't think United will get any incoming central midfielders within the next couple of weeks though.

It also makes the Anderson loan seem a bit strange. He's better than Cleverley. He's just injury prone. He could still be a rotation option.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/aberdeen/article5393602.ece

Adam Rooney has a medical for Aberdeen today.

Can't really trust the source but good news if true. Hopefully, he will add that something extra that Vernon has been struggling to give.

EDIT: Oops Gladstone beat me to it and added JASON SCOTLAND?!

Edited by Camie

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/aberdeen/article5393602.ece

Adam Rooney has a medical for Aberdeen today.

Can't really trust the source but good news if true. Hopefully, he will add that something extra that Vernon has been struggling to give.

EDIT: Oops Gladstone beat me to it and added JASON SCOTLAND?!

A more? reliable source - http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/sport/football/the-dons/dons-homing-in-on-rooney-1.181393

Fuck all this Mata chat. I've just heard that Adam Rooney and fucking JASON SCOTLAND are at Pittodrie for medical a right now.

Source: a mate of mine. No idea where he gets his info but he's normally accurate.

Looks like Jason Scotland isn't going to be at Aberdeen - https://twitter.com/TyroneSTV/status/426008289411739649

Edited by MattJimF

Tiote has had a very strong season. He had been mostly garbage for the 18 months previous to that, though. Pardew continually nattered on about developing Tiote into a Yaya Toure-type battering ram midfielder, and I believe he tried to coach this into him. The results were ghastly -- he was continually out of position as a result of charging around the pitch like a loon, tried to be fancy and dribble past players when a sideways pass would've sufficed, and tried a boatload of silly Hollywood passes that never came off. This season he has played to his limitations -- patrolling the centre of the pitch, breaking-up play, moving the ball on to one of our more creative players -- and has generally been very solid.

Despite this, he is a limited player who is prone to the not-so-occasional rush of blood to the head, and he still launches an absolutely hopeless shot from 35 yards that lands closer to the corner flag than the goal every week. I don't think he's good enough to be starting for a team of Man United's ambition, unless he was to be used as a player to bring on in the last 15-20 minutes and harry tiring opposing players.

Cabaye is a different kettle of fish. Maybe the best midfielder to play for Newcastle in my lifetime. I believe he will move to a big club sooner rather than later, because his skillset is very wide, and he's having a great season. Like Tiote (and a host of others) I thought he was pretty "meh" last year, but I put that down to the level of fuckery that surrounded our 12/13 season more than anything else.

For all our flaws, we have an excellent crop of central midfielders. Sissoko is a beast. He looked like Yaya when he first signed, then faded as the season progressed. This season he has really adapted to the English game, and, despite playing most of the season as a winger, has looked monstrous. I love Vurnon Anita too, and actually rate him a bit higher than Tiote. Shame that fool Pardew hates him.

That being said, all of these blokes are far too good for David Moyes' shit shower. They can have Dan Gosling. No one else.

Really?

Peter Beardsley (I know he's technically an Attacking Midfielder/No 10)

David Ginola

Agree Cabaye is a very good player but c'mon?

Edited by Alkaline