aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

Old man calling a slightly older man an old cunt. Only in football.

I can't take Pardew seriously now. How can he expect any of his players to act responsibly when he's on the sidelines giving it the ten-man hard cunt act. Noone in a position of authority should be acting like that. Poor pellers. He's just a bit weather-worn, he's not that old.

Meh im sure there is worse said each week, it just so happens this one was heard. Newcastle were screwed anyway, it was a perfectly good goal, he had every right to be annoyed. 

I'm sure worse is said every game but I still think it's an ugly side to the game that I'd happily see stamped out. I don't even think what he said is that bad... it's more the general culture in football of it being OK to hurl abuse at people that I don't like.  

This is a good read... and it's sad that football hasn't really come much further. Not that Pardew is on par with this, but it's not far off.

http://reflectionsasia.wordpress.com/2007/09/11/graeme-le-saux-how-gay-slurs-almost-wrecked-my-career/

Did he really mean to insult him in the same way as Le Saux was tho? I highly doubt it. He just said something stupid, rather than go out of his way to insult Pellegrini. I do agree football is awful for abuse, but in this instance i dont see the huge issue, if no one got upset about a game of football it would be a pretty boring game overall. 

Did he really mean to insult him in the same way as Le Saux was tho? I highly doubt it. He just said something stupid, rather than go out of his way to insult Pellegrini. I do agree football is awful for abuse, but in this instance i dont see the huge issue, if no one got upset about a game of football it would be a pretty boring game overall. 

As I said, it's not the same as Pardew but it's still an example of what I see as this ugly neanderthal side of football that you don't see many other places.

I find it pretty easy to get really upset without personally attacking other people. I don't see why professional footballers and managers can't do the same. Ok, i'm not involved in high-level sport so I don't have the same frame of reference but I don't think people should be exempt from social norms just because they're on a pitch. 

As I said, it's not the same as Pardew but it's still an example of what I see as this ugly neanderthal side of football that you don't see many other places.

I find it pretty easy to get really upset without personally attacking other people. I don't see why professional footballers and managers can't do the same. Ok, i'm not involved in high-level sport so I don't have the same frame of reference but I don't think people should be exempt from social norms just because they're on a pitch. 

I'm right there with you on the ugly neanderthal side of football.

I'm ashamed that I used to join in with this (to an extent) both when I was playing and supporting football.  It just seems to be ingrained in from a young age but there is absolutely no need for it.  It took me to become a coach of kids football to really start looking at how people behave at all levels of football and it is just ridiculous.

I read that Graeme Le Saux article and was really shocked by it.  Not because it happened but because of how sucked into that sort of thing everyone can become.  Until reading that article, the first thing that would have popped into my head at the mention of Le Saux would have been "was he gay?"  Well, maybe not quite (probably him chinning David Batty and David Batty not flinching is the first thing).  But I can remember, as a teenager, being convinced that Le Saux was gay and thinking it was funny when Robbie Fowler taunted him.

I've obviously grown up a lot since then and can't comprehend why people can be so prejudiced because of someone's sexuality, skin colour, religion, or whatever.  It must be a complete nightmare being a gay professional footballer.  The standard put-down in any football changing room I've ever been in is "you fucking poof" or something similar and I've said it myself probably thousands of times in my life.

Not really sure where I'm going with this, but the football culture is the thing that's made me lose a lot of interest over the past couple of years.

Robbie Fowler is a wretched and vile human being. None of his banter is ever good.

That Graeme Le Saux excerpt is from his autobiography, which I thoroughly recommend. Obviously he's literate, so he didn't feel the need to use a ghost writer or a known journalist to write it for him. Totally worth a read, and it provides an excellent insight into top level football in the late 80s and 90s.