aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

That's just insane. How did someone that much in the public eye get anywhere near thinking a suicide bomber costume was a good idea? Not only is that a personal blunder but you have to put some blame on the club - their media training or whatever you call it (and I know this is a big deal for football clubs nowadays what with your twitters and whatnot and young players being foisted into the limelight so quickly) has utterly failed. 

It's obviously impossible to totally control everything players do outside the club but you would have thought there would be some level of responsibility drilled into someone like Chris Smalling who has been at the club for a good while now. 

Football constantly baffles me. It sometimes seems like it's all just an elaborate joke - like a bunch of kids messing around with something the general public takes pretty seriously. It's not just this kind of thing... it's the way you hear about clubs being bought and sold like they're toys, it's the way managers get hired and fired like primary school romances ("you're dumped... tell your mate I fancy her though"), it's the ridiculous contracts, the recruitment of players seemingly based on name alone, it's the fact there's a smash and grab twice a season where everyone faxes their transfers through at midnight... I mean what the fuck!

Fucking love it though. 

• Upvote 1

To use a cliche it appears Moyes has "lost the dressing room". That can't be good.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/08/manchester-united-players-manager-david-moyes-credentials-champions-league

To be fair, its such a non story. Any time a club goes through bad form the accusations are that the manager has lost the dressing room. They then take a few half stories and attach them to the theory he has lost the dressing room to make it look like they have any substance. Lets be fair, Evra, Rio and Vidic have looked out of form for a long time now, them leaving United wont be the worst thing in the world. 

He's still an idiot not to think that posting a picture of it online could get him into trouble though.

The guardian has been printing some terrible comment bait pieces in regard to Moyes lately. Their sports sections has a lot of brilliant stuff and many great journalists contribute to it but they're just as bad as a tabloid when it comes to filling space on slow news days. 

I didn't notice the Jager bottles... fair enough. Good costume.

Edit: The part that gets me is that he didn't think to just choose a less emotive costume... just in case something like this happened. I generally don't care about offensive costumes, it's more the stupidity that baffles me.

Edited by ca_gere

Its not like he is the first to make a Jager Bomber costume, but surely he is free to wear one as long as he feels his friends wont mind? Again, this wasnt a public appearance, it was his own home, with his supposive friends. If i want to sit in my flat wearing my white gown and pointed white hat that covers my face then i dont expect my mates to photograph me and sent it to the Evening Express. 

So it's ok to be an insensitive, ignorant bumhole, even if you have an enormous responsibility as a top sportsman and role model... just as long as you do it in the privacy of your own home surrounded by mates who can 'take the banter'? That's not how I see the world I'm afraid.

• Upvote 1

So it's ok to be an insensitive, ignorant bumhole, even if you have an enormous responsibility as a top sportsman and role model... just as long as you do it in the privacy of your own home surrounded by mates who can 'take the banter'? That's not how I see the world I'm afraid.

Talk about an over-reaction. Its not often i can say that about yourself tbh.

I kind of missed the Walcott gesturing thing.  It always throws up the argument of the responsibility that highly paid professional footballers should have.

I agree with that to a fairly large extent in that such public figures should be setting a good example to those that idolise them - particularly thousands of kids.

But it always bothers me far more that Theo Walcott can't jokingly make a 2-0 gesture to opposing fans without inciting a riot.  Football fans are fucking ridiculous.  The vast majority are grown men who should be more than capable of going no further than laughing it off and calling Theo a "cheeky cunt" or something similar.  But instead, there will be absolute rage from the stands with people shouting (probably) racist abuse and how they hope he dies of cancer and all that lovely stuff that football fans seem to think is fine to shout when they are within the confines of a football stadium.

It reminds me of that video doing the rounds of the Rangers fans after Artur Boruc crossing himself at Ibrox.  Now, I know as well as anyone that Boruc loved it and made a big thing about making sure he did it right in their faces but the blindness by the Rangers fans who were posting that video to show the "terrible crime" that Boruc was committing was remarkable.  All he did was cross himself.  And hundreds, if not thousands of Rangers fans basically wanted to kill him or at least stamp on him repeatedly.  Fuds.  The lot of them.

Football would be a much better sport if Walcott was able to have a laugh and wind up the fans light-heartedly with that 2-0 gesture without inciting a riot.  But in the real world, he gets all the pelters whilst the fans throwing coins (for fuck sake) at him and showering the stewards in the process barely get a mention.

• Upvote 1