aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

I dunno, they way they capitulated against City and Liverpool sets alarm bells ringing and there were reports he'd "lost the dressing room". There's rarely a way back from that. If the players don't want to play for him they'll play shit all season. So it may have been worth changing mid season it if it was down to "player power".

Would be interested to hear if Spurs fan actually expected them to challenge this season. Are Spurs in danger of becoming the new LiverpLOL?

He does have a 100% record at Spurs so far.

If you ignore losing against West Ham in his first game in charge.

He's been given an 18 month contract so that he doesn't look more like a lame duck coach than he otherwise would. As soon as they find a suitable replacement, likely in the summer, he'll be out on his arse Di Matteo style.

If you ignore losing against West Ham in his first game in charge.

He's been given an 18 month contract so that he doesn't look more like a lame duck coach than he otherwise would. As soon as they find a suitable replacement, likely in the summer, he'll be out on his arse Di Matteo style.

Haha - what a dick I am sometimes.  I was forgetting that it wasn't just a few days ago that AVB got sacked.  In my defence, all I care about is Everton Rovers FC.

Nobody wants that job. At least with Sherwood, there is almost zero expectation. He's young and unproven. Any highly rated manager coming in will immediately have pressure, with the expectancy of utmost success, IMO.

Glenn does!

I think the appointment embarrasses Levy but Sherwood has done well to pounce on his chance. I don't think Levy really wanted him but Sherwood forced him to make a decision quickly and there was nobody else so he got the job. A consequence of jumping the gun with firing AVB.

Sherwood is gonna do well in his short time. He'll play high intensity attacking football that will win him games. He's got the talent at his disposal to do so. It's not sustainable though. Players will tire and get injured and ultimately he'll be flattering to deceive. The Di matteo parallel is spot on.

• Upvote 1

I think what they were reporting was that half the players bought in summer AVB didn't really want. He gave them his list which I imagine read MOUTINHO PLZ.

But when they failed to get him baldini and Levy went after 'similar' targets?

Would have been hard to gel that many players if you wanted them and they fit what you want to do. Never mind if they don't!

I don't actually think Sherwood is that much of an insane choice. I disagree with the decision to fire AVB, but I think there were definitely worse names than Sherwood in the running (hiya, Glenn.) It depends on how the club is run, really. If you look at Southampton last year, when they fired Adkins, everyone was fizzing, but it didn't really mater in the long-run, because there's an ingrained, deep-rooted "philosophy" within the club extending from the kids teams to the first XI. It doesn't matter so much who the manager is, as long as they're not completely horrific, because the board have a clear, long-term strategy. The fact that AVB was a "head coach" rather than a "manager" at Tottenham suggests they might be following a similar blueprint.

Sherwood should theoretically have a strong grasp of the club, its players, and the board's goals already. Mind you, I am reminded of a good article penned by the Secret Footballer on promoting from within: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/mar/09/the-secret-footballer

In all honesty, I've never been massively convinced by AVB as a manager in the UK, but the likelihood of this turning out to be a batshit mental decision is much higher than it working out.

It's quite clear that spurs didn't have a deep rooted philosophy as the head coach and person in charge of youth development have completely different ideas on how to approach the game. There's no parallel to be drawn with the Southampton situation. They had an idea how they wanted to move forward and found a coach who they believed could best help them, which sadly meant sacking Adkins. Spurs got freaked after a couple of bad games, sacked the coach and then gave the job to the first person in the office who stuck their hand up.

• Upvote 1

I see/saw AVB as a bit of a George Graham figure. As much in his tactics (resilient and pressing in defense, highly organized role-based approach) as in his ethos. I thought he was trying to bring long-term change to Spurs and it's sad he wasn't given the time to do so. I could see Spurs becoming the Arsenal of the late 80s/early 90s in a few years - a team that was hard to beat first and foremost, with a strong come-from-behind gameplan but with the flair aspect of modern football being a lesser priority. 

He got his tactics wrong on a few occasions but I think the players are to blame for a lot of performances. Soldado cut a lonely figure a lot up front but when he did get the chances he simply wasn't taking them and that ran through the team (Eriksen would fuck up a through ball and go into his shell, Lamela would fall over his ankles and stop taking people on). That said, most of his squad were not only new to the premier league but new to each other too - Any instant success would have been a bonus but was always highly unlikely.

Again, I think Sherwood will win plaudits early on and will get a few wins. He knows the youth players too which is great but I still think he's a big downgrade.

It's quite clear that spurs didn't have a deep rooted philosophy as the head coach and person in charge of youth development have completely different ideas on how to approach the game. There's no parallel to be drawn with the Southampton situation. They had an idea how they wanted to move forward and found a coach who they believed could best help them, which sadly meant sacking Adkins. Spurs got freaked after a couple of bad games, sacked the coach and then gave the job to the first person in the office who stuck their hand up.

Then perhaps they had to get rid of AVB when it became clear he wouldn't adhere to this new "philosophy"?

Hate using that word in a footballing context. Couldn't think of a better one.

Great day of football. Except the game at the Etihad, because it wasn't at all possible for both teams to lose. Fair play to Liverpool though. They should have twatted them. The mystery offside was mental, but they had some stellar chances to win it. Sterling will be dreaming about that miss for weeks.

When did Jordan Henderson replace Aaron Ramsey as the best player in the world? That weird looking kid has been immense the past 4 or 5 games.

The Hull/United game was great. Former United academy graduate James Chester netting the classic defenders brace, poor lad. Rooneys goal was tiptop. De Gea won the points. Brick wall.

Good result for Noocarsul and all. Beating Stoke's hammer-throwers is usually pretty satisfying, although there was a touch of suspect officiating. Ben Arfa is looking brilliant again -- hopefully he gets a shot against Arsenal, I think he can do some damage. Also nice to see a goal from Cisse again, even if it was a penalty. I don't really have any faith in him any more, but it was pretty cool seeing Cabaye pick the ball up and hand it to him for the penner.

Sholawatch: first touch on Match of the Day -- bumps into a Hull player, falls over, still completes the pass. Sholahimovic.

• Upvote 1

Yeah that QPR documentary is superb, they got through managers like Spinal Tap drummers.

Great day of football in the Premier League, a very enjoyable Match Of The Day last night, even if the beeb decided to go for the terrible pundit duo of Shearer and Savage.  Was funny watching Hughes getting all bitter and twisted at the sendings off.  Lolpool aquitted themselves very well at City.  Man U carried on a Fergie tradition by coming back from two down.  Everton shot themselves in the foot losing at home to Sunderland.

Meanwhile Cambridge set a new Conference record yesterday by maintaining their 100% home record with a reasonably comfortable home win against Braintree, 12 wins out of 12 in the league.  Shame our nearest rivals all won as well.  Need to sort out the dodgy away form as we have no home league games till the end of next month!

Savage is a weird pundit. He describes the replays to the audience as if the audience has never seen a game of football before, like how a nursery teacher tells a toddler what shapes and colours are.

The other week, he was all like "And this, is what we call "playing between the lines" when the forward is ahead of the midfield, but infront of the defenders" in a slow, slightly condescending voice. Unless he just speaks slowly because he's generally a bit sluggish in though himself.

"And as you can see, the ball goes into the top corner. Those always give the goalkeeper no chance, and the strikers should always be looking to put the ball there" Thanks for that, Robbie. How many points do you get for a win again? 3 is it? I'm sure it's 3. Maybe he'll tell us on Saturday MOTD. I can't wait.

I don't hate Savage as much as a lot of people do but he can be irritating. Lawrenson has all but been dropped from the MOTD roster, have hardly seen him on a Sat show, hardly ever see MOTD 2 as usually tucked up in bed when it comes on so maybe he is on that a bit more.  I remember reading he was gonna be used less this season.  Shame as I always find him quite entertaining!

It really is a wide open title race in the Prem League!  You'd still have to fancy City though if they can pick up their away form.

I remember that QPR documentary, it was very interesting. Paolo Sousa was quite an objectionable individual, his arrogance really shone through above all else. I've never seen the Chelsea documentary, but like most things associated with Chelsea Football Club, it will lack class, refinement, and general interest.

Does anyone know where I could possibly find online the full episodes to last year's Being: Liverpool documentary? It's no longer available on the Channel 5 player, and I only ever caught episode 1, which was great. What an absolute fucking circus that football club was circa sixteen months ago.