aberdeen-music

Cool Thinkers Cool Thoughts & Local News Thread

Guest Cool Thinker

Guest Cool Thinker

Besides the massive general fiction section, there was sections for Crime fiction, Sci-Fi, Scottish fiction, graphic novels, kids fiction, classic fiction. I mean, I literally have no idea how he can assert there was little fiction. I often think he just chucks these little snippets in to wind folk up.

Hardly, I never troll my own thread but I do sometimes troll Quick Questions etc. I genually went in there and looked at the black signs above the books to look for "fiction" but could not find it. To be honest it is a bit weird Aberdeen having 2 Waterstones when alot of places lost there's. I have been to the Blackwells in Edinburgh and I like it how big is the University one is it big or is it the same size as Spar?

Guest Cool Thinker

Spars are my new unit of measurement.

By Spar I mean the one on St Macher Drive as that is standard size I don't mean the giant Spar in Kincorth. I have not been to Kincorth in over 10 years I should maybe return some time and by Rainbow Drops.

You have been gone for quite a while do you remember Spar???

Edited by Cool Thinker

You obviously have been gone for a while, the post office is now at the back of the shop and has 3 counters although only 1 maybe 2 are used. The till area has around 5 or 6 tills although they only use 2 or 3. Chest freezers have been replaced by stand up freezers. It changed around 2009 maybe 2010 and it is now open normal times on Christmas Day and New Years Day. There is also a 2 Go area where you can get coffee and tea on the go and there is a Kelly of Cults cabinet.

Just saved a 10 hour flight back to check.

Thanks Cool. The 'to-go' area really is a sign of innovation from the guys at Spar.

By Spar I mean the one on St Macher Drive as that is standard size I don't mean the giant Spar in Kincorth. I have not been to Kincorth in over 10 years I should maybe return some time and by Rainbow Drops.

You have been gone for quite a while do you remember Spar???

In Fyvie, the shop is still referred to as "the Spar" or "the Sparry", even though it's been an Alldays and is now a Co-op and hasn't been a Spar for more than a decade.  That's pretty good remembering.

Guest Cool Thinker

In Fyvie, the shop is still referred to as "the Spar" or "the Sparry", even though it's been an Alldays and is now a Co-op and hasn't been a Spar for more than a decade.  That's pretty good remembering.

I still call the 24 Hour shop on Union Street Costcutter even though it is Premier because I prefer the Costcutter name although I prefer Spar. There used to be a Spar in Stockethill but it turned into a Costcutter then Keystore and I think it is now Premier.

The Post Office inside Spar on St Macher Drive once had some guy with a motorbike helmet point a Gun at them and say "I want the money". As you can see I live in the area although not when the crime happened.

Edited by Cool Thinker

Guest Cool Thinker

Unfortunately where I grew up the local Spar was often referred to by a derogatory term for the nationality of its owners. I hope things have changed since then.

I remember this time when I was 12 and was at Butlins in Bognor Regis and at a stand you know that one that you find in Arcades where you can swap tokens for prizes. Well I won a prize and he said "you can buy batteries from the (insert derogatory term for people from Pakistan here)". It was before I got the internet (the following year) so I really did not understand what he meant and thought that maybe in the past the shop in which he was referring to (a convenience type store in the park). used to be called that. He corrected himself and said sorry.

Guest Cool Thinker

From the look of it they are planning to turn the upstairs of the Academy Shopping Centre into 4 flats. 

Wagamama and Handmade Burger Co. will be opening in the Academy Shopping Centre. Wagamama is just in the EE now after me reporting this months ago.

From the look of it they are planning to turn the upstairs of the Academy Shopping Centre into 4 flats. 

Wagamama and Handmade Burger Co. will be opening in the Academy Shopping Centre. Wagamama is just in the EE now after me reporting this months ago.

did you time travel to read the EE then come back to post it's reportings?

Some things that I noticed this weekend. Now bear in mind that a lot of these could be up to two years out of date.

The 17 route has fancy new buses. 

Ramsey World Travel has moved into the old mail centre on Crown Street.

A barber has opened in the old Ramsey World Travel building.

Gregg's onion and cheese slices are nasty.

The art shop next to the music hall has shut down.

There's fancy new bins and phone boxes on Union Street.

The Braided Fig has been painted yellow.

Delph's Bistro has opened in the old Yatai building.

Amore Restaurant? How long has that been there?

Ishoka has opened a new premises in Rosemount.

Casa Gelato ice cream parlour has opened a small premises in the old Jewsters shop on Schoolhill.

There's a kid busking on violin outside St Nicholas centre and he's fucking terrible.

St Nicholas House has been largely demolished.

There's a new Cafe Nero in the old Top Shop on Union Street.

The Duthie Park restoration is complete and looks affa bonny.

There's only one internet cafe in Aberdeen.

Triple Kirks has been done up.